X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 vs 03 Honda Accord V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 vs 03 Honda Accord V6

Hello, I am new to these forums, I have a choice to get these 2 cars, Both are Sedans and Autos , the Honda got 135k Miles compared to Jaguars 75k. Even though Honda is probably the more reliable one , I think Jaguar will be too. I want your guys opinion, and also which one is faster 0-60 and Quarter Mile , has better handling, and better looks, and gets most girls haha

Old 03-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.
Please take time to visit
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself so we can all say 'Hello'
Jaguar vs Honda - no contest !

Old 03-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default No contest...

If you want a refrigerator, buy the Honda. Life is too short to be bored. If you want something interesting and a bit different, do the Jag. I love mine. It may cost you a bit more to run but it's got a lot of panache and style. And it's fun to drive.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

If you are concerned with 0-60 times and the sort, I take it you drive "sportily"? The AWD transfer case is considered a bit of a weak link in the drivetrain and daily full-throttle launches are fairly likely to ruin it, necessitating a costly replacement. The fragile transfer case is one of the reasons Jaguar never put the powerful X-Type R into production.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

X-Type is a classy 'Cruiser' - certainly not a sports car.
If you want Class - get the Jag.
If you want Sport - go with the Honda

Old 03-30-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Max, first off, welcome to the forums. I Think you will find that we cut to the chase and call things as they are. But, we do ask that you stick around and enjoy this place. I Think you will find that we are a great group to be involved with. But ,we do ask a simple favor of you: stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch and like to get to know one another.

As for your question of whether to get the Accord or the X-Type, you will find that it will depend on what you are wanting from the car.

As for 0-60 times, like was mentioned, the X-Type is not a car that will handle repeated (daily) romps without costing you a pretty penny (experience has shown if you like to sprint to 60, you can plan on replacing the transfer case about every 30K miles to the tune of $3000 per replacement). Now, with that being said, the occasional sprint does not seem to affect the longevity. The actual 0-60 times of the two cars is pretty close.

When it comes to repairs and cost, I think you will find both of these cars are going to cost you about the same. The X-Type has a lot of Ford parts in it, so, there is a lot that you can get that will be fairly cheap to replace. But, only a forum like this will tell you what will cross over and what won't. Labor is going to be the same as long as you are not going to a dealership.

As for handling, I think the X-Type has this one by a slim lead. The big benefit being that the X-Type was built with more aggressive cornering in mind as compared to the Accord. Granted, most cars these days have roughly the same G-force cornering numbers. The difference will be the comfort you are going to have in the car reaching that max cornering. The Accord is going to fight you a lot more than the X-Type is.

As for looks, this is a no brainer. The Accords are "dime a dozen". Everyone drives one. Depending on where you live, you will find that X-Types are few and far between. Not to mention, you will find that a lot of people will ask "how can you afford to drive a Jaguar" and will be impressed just because you drive one. Little do they know that they could have bought a Jag for the same (if not less) than the same year Accord. So, when it comes to the chick department, you are going to find the Jag will pick up a lot more, no questions.

With all this being said, I am getting a feeling that you are looking at also upgrading the car for more power and better looks. This is where the Accord is going to beat the X-Type without question for the average Joe. The Accord is going to have a lot of bolt on parts where the options for the X-Type is very limited. But, as a lot of people will say, why do you need to add stuff to the X-Type, it already is what you need. With that being said, the X-Type is still a car that can be modified (just will cost you a bit more). There are members here that have lowered their cars, put air ride suspensions on them, put in monster stereo systems, etc. It just takes a little more time and effort to get it installed.

If you are in the Washington DC area, keep your eyes open as there are a lot of members from that area. If you are out in WA state, we have a few members out there too and I make an annual trip out to Seattle.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Max, first off, welcome to the forums. I Think you will find that we cut to the chase and call things as they are. But, we do ask that you stick around and enjoy this place. I Think you will find that we are a great group to be involved with. But ,we do ask a simple favor of you: stop by the New Member Section and introduce yourself. We are a friendly bunch and like to get to know one another.

As for your question of whether to get the Accord or the X-Type, you will find that it will depend on what you are wanting from the car.

As for 0-60 times, like was mentioned, the X-Type is not a car that will handle repeated (daily) romps without costing you a pretty penny (experience has shown if you like to sprint to 60, you can plan on replacing the transfer case about every 30K miles to the tune of $3000 per replacement). Now, with that being said, the occasional sprint does not seem to affect the longevity. The actual 0-60 times of the two cars is pretty close.

When it comes to repairs and cost, I think you will find both of these cars are going to cost you about the same. The X-Type has a lot of Ford parts in it, so, there is a lot that you can get that will be fairly cheap to replace. But, only a forum like this will tell you what will cross over and what won't. Labor is going to be the same as long as you are not going to a dealership.

As for handling, I think the X-Type has this one by a slim lead. The big benefit being that the X-Type was built with more aggressive cornering in mind as compared to the Accord. Granted, most cars these days have roughly the same G-force cornering numbers. The difference will be the comfort you are going to have in the car reaching that max cornering. The Accord is going to fight you a lot more than the X-Type is.

As for looks, this is a no brainer. The Accords are "dime a dozen". Everyone drives one. Depending on where you live, you will find that X-Types are few and far between. Not to mention, you will find that a lot of people will ask "how can you afford to drive a Jaguar" and will be impressed just because you drive one. Little do they know that they could have bought a Jag for the same (if not less) than the same year Accord. So, when it comes to the chick department, you are going to find the Jag will pick up a lot more, no questions.

With all this being said, I am getting a feeling that you are looking at also upgrading the car for more power and better looks. This is where the Accord is going to beat the X-Type without question for the average Joe. The Accord is going to have a lot of bolt on parts where the options for the X-Type is very limited. But, as a lot of people will say, why do you need to add stuff to the X-Type, it already is what you need. With that being said, the X-Type is still a car that can be modified (just will cost you a bit more). There are members here that have lowered their cars, put air ride suspensions on them, put in monster stereo systems, etc. It just takes a little more time and effort to get it installed.

If you are in the Washington DC area, keep your eyes open as there are a lot of members from that area. If you are out in WA state, we have a few members out there too and I make an annual trip out to Seattle.
Thank you Thermo, I really appreciate your response. I am not really a sport driver, I was just wondering if the Jaguar will be really slow or slower than the honda or will it have enough power to punch it when you need too, also I dont know why but when I test drove both these cars, the Honda felt faster or quicker at start but on the Freeway it feels like the Jag will pull and gains up speed faster than Honda. I also agree that the Jaguar will be a nicer and more expensive way for daily drive, just like other high class cars like Mercedes , Audi, BMW, Lexus. I totally agree there are always Accords around, this showing that Jaguar is a more fancy drive and will get more of the girls. Overall I drove both cars, I like the practicality of the Honda and the real luxurious and fancy Jag. Both totally different cars , comparing to ride quality. Difference will be the Reliability and how expensive will it be. Also I am actually living in Washington State right now if you wanted to know. Thanks-Max

Old 03-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Max, what you will find out is the Jaguar has variable valve timing. So, off the line when punching it, the Honda will be a little faster as the Honda V6 I believe has more power not to mention the Jaguar has 4 wheels it is trying to turn (more driveline losses). But, where the Jaguar will feel more powerful is in the low RPM ranges. With the variable valve timing, the Jaguar motor will make more power in the lower RPMs, therefore give you better acceleration without having to rev the motor way up. Another test you can do to prove this is to do an acceleration test where you depress the gas pedal so the car wants to shift at 3,000 RPM (keeping the gas pedal in one place the whole time). You will find that the Jaguar will get to speed faster than the Honda will in this test. This is nice if you are a younger driver as you can get the same acceleration as people rev'ing their motors but you won't be turning a lot of heads because of your exhaust noise.

Both will suit you fine. The question is what are you shooting for? You answer what you want the car to do for you and the car that you get will become blatantly obvious.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Max, if you have to ask this question then the Jag is not for you. Sorry, but if you were comparing the Jag to a BMW or MB or Audi or anything else out there in the luxury category then I can see the reason for comparo.

BTW, reliability wise, Honda is a better bet although the 6 cylinders were not the best engines from Honda when compared to their 4 bangers. In the long run the Honda 4 cylinder comands a better market value when compared to V6.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Max, what you will find out is the Jaguar has variable valve timing. So, off the line when punching it, the Honda will be a little faster as the Honda V6 I believe has more power not to mention the Jaguar has 4 wheels it is trying to turn (more driveline losses). But, where the Jaguar will feel more powerful is in the low RPM ranges. With the variable valve timing, the Jaguar motor will make more power in the lower RPMs, therefore give you better acceleration without having to rev the motor way up. Another test you can do to prove this is to do an acceleration test where you depress the gas pedal so the car wants to shift at 3,000 RPM (keeping the gas pedal in one place the whole time). You will find that the Jaguar will get to speed faster than the Honda will in this test. This is nice if you are a younger driver as you can get the same acceleration as people rev'ing their motors but you won't be turning a lot of heads because of your exhaust noise.

Both will suit you fine. The question is what are you shooting for? You answer what you want the car to do for you and the car that you get will become blatantly obvious.
Yes I made my choice already I got the Jag, and I already have gotten a lot of complements, I am really have with my choice thanks.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>I got the Jag, and I already have gotten a lot of complements

Yes, and you will soon learn that whenever a Jaguar arrives people notice...

So, welcome to the "club"!
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 04-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe pictures and specs are customary...let's see it!

Old 04-01-2013, 01:11 PM

Here are some photos of the Honda

Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't think Andahaion had these in mind when he asked for pics...

The following users liked this post:
Andahaion (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
I don't think Andahaion had these in mind when he asked for pics...
What he said...

Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

The jag will get you the most girls.... I drove mine to high school senior year and with wheels on it, it looked like a new jag. As soon as they knew I bought it myself and it wasn't my grandpas, I couldn't control them.

The thing that everyone forgets with these cars is that it's essentially like buying a REALLY REALLY nice ford focus. The 3.0 engine was actually used to build the v6 in the mazda 6. But if you are trying to push the car and redline it, you will dominate your transfer case. I push my car, but not all the time and only sometimes