X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 jaguar x-type

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 02 jaguar x-type

Im looking for ways to supe up my jaguar it's an 02 x-type 2.5 liter v6 does anyone have any ideas that could help me I thought of an electric supercharger but I have seen a lot of bad reviews on them then I thought obout race chip or ecu chips but I really don't know where to start I really need help!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Frank, modifying an X-Types motor is fairly easy to do. The motor itself is capable of lots of safe power. As for the electric supercharger, nice idea. Not very practical. So, I would say to save your money and look at other options.

Please notice that I mention that the motor can safely make tons of power. The problem that you are going to find is getting that power to the ground without destroying something (specifically the transfer case). Our cars have a weak link, the transfer case. There is a member organizing to have some custom transfer cases made up that will supposedly handle an increase in power (specific numbers have not been discussed yet, still needing around a total of 6 people to want the upgraded transfer cases before the work will start on them). So, you may want to do a little looking around and see what you can find. The factory transfer case is adequate if you drive sensibly. But, if you like to go stop light to stop light, I think you will find you will be replacing the transfer case every 30K miles or so (depending on how often you are racing the car).

The other problem that you are going to find is that the call for aftermarket parts for the car is pretty small. Therefore, there are not a lot of aftermarket parts for the car. So, anything you are looking for will more than likely either be from 1 manufacturer (Arden in a lot of cases) or a custom 1 off thing. Either way, you are looking at spending a fair amount of money.

I'm not putting the X-TYpe down, as it is a nice touring car, but if you are wanting something to mess around with and zoom around in, see what you can find in the way of say a 2000 XK or XJ. Both of those cars are RWD only and will have more of the power/acceleration like you are after. That is especially true if you get the R version (XKR or the XJR). I know this is a second vehicle, but once you modify the X-Type to handle power like I think you are thinking of, you will have been able to pay for one of the XK's or XJ's and still have money to modify them.

I don't want to burst your bubble on this, but a lot of guys have been down this road and I am sure some others will chime in and give you their experiences on this. You are ok to put on a new intake and get the new exhaust (aka, new mufflers only unless you go with a complete custom setup). The ECU chips are a toss up as to what you gain. your car is going to be able to net a little more than the 04+ models.

Any more questions, just ask. We will explain everything we can to the point that you have a good grasp of what is going on.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why bother "suping up" a 2.5 motor. The thing is basically gutless as it is. I have a 3.0 and it is nice given what it is. These are not "fast cars" so why try to make it what it isn't?

Old 11-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

I agree with bruce. These cars were made to be capable, but not incredibly fast. Most people end up making these cars look better as opposed to performing better because they really weren't meant to go fast.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:31 PM

BTW- I find the car handles quite well and the 3.0 is plenty fast enough for the kind of driving I do.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Talking Reply

Thanks for the advise on making the car faster! Now I'm not looking for much speed just a little get up and go I think it's holding back on me I seen a electric supercharger on Performance chip tuning that was for my car but others say it might be a bad idea considering our cars are already high air intake! But I have changed my 02 sensors the upstream sensors and I'm looking into a borla exhaust system but I would really like someone to check out the super charger and let me now what they think its Performance Chip Tuning Racing ECU Car Chips Power Super Flash all input would be greatly appreciated! Like I said I'm not looking to tear up a quarter mile just have get up and go! Thanks!

Old 11-26-2011, 11:27 PM
Default X-type

Could someone check out the electric supercharger out at Electric Supercharger Kits Turbo Super Charger Bolt On Superchargers and let me know if that would be a good idea to put on my x-type or not!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

Frank, how much money you got? I am not saying this to be funny, but you need to think about this. From what I can tell, that is a 950 watt electric fan. On a 12 VDC system, you are looking at about an 80 amp load on the alternator. At idle, that is pretty much what the alternator puts out. So, you have no left over electricity for powering the engine, your lights, your stereo, etc. This would mean that all the power for everything else would be coming off of the battery. Over a short period of time, this is going to result in possibly either/both the alternator or the battery. So, at a minimum you would need to step up to a 250 amp alternator if you are looking at this modification. This is the expensive part of the mod, no one makes an upgraded alternator for our cars that I am aware of. So, you are going to need to pull the alternator out of the car (unless you get a spare from somewhere), then have it custom modified to be able to handle the increased output. What that is going to run, I can not say. But, I have a feeling that you are going to be a bit surprised.

Then, you need to get the kit ($180), since you are looking at maximizing power, the filter ($20) and then the upgraded ECU ($60). Now you need it installed. So, you can add in probably another $100 for the wiring, new brackets, etc. So, you are up to $350 to maybe get 1 psi of boost. Those little fans don't make a lot of boost. Will it help, sure. You are now able to force the air into the engine vice having to rely on the engine sucking it in. But, how often are you going to be at wide open throttle (which is the only place that this motor is going to make any difference)? Remember me talking about the transfer case being the weak link? I see this mod becoming either a bit paperweight in the car or a very expensive upgrade due to having to replace transfer cases periodically.

I am not trying to talk you out of what YOU want for YOUR car. What you do is what you do. I'm just explaining things how I see them. For an additional $400, you can get the upgraded mufflers and get something that will probably net you the same power, give you better mileage too, while giving your car a little bit of different styling. Sure, $700 for the Mina exhaust system isn't cheap. But, at the same time, this is part of the "problem" with owning a car like this. THe modifications are not easy and not cheap for something that actually works.

The following users liked this post:
Frank Lucero (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 06:44 AM

That unit is junk. I am a member of a Porsche website and many a fool has lost their money on that unit. Once they hit the dyno, they new they had been had.

Save you dough.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

And Frank, please use some punctuation. Long run ons make posts very difficult to read. Let us know what you decide to do/not do on the mods

Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 AM
AML
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This guy is starting to sound like a troll.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Default Reply

Ok guys I thank those that are trying to help. As for those that have no input other than talking trash, quit wasting your breath. I am simply trying to get boost no matter ther cost. So if you have any kind of input or have any ideas that could lead me in way to where I need to be thanks. If not then just don't reply to my post! So from what I gather it would probably be best to drop a 3.0 and a mina exhaust in is the transmission the same size or is it different? Also last but not least what's the best size rims for my year of car and still handle good? Oh and thermo thanks for being patient with me I just need a point in the right direction.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Veteran member

Frank, like I have said, it is your car, you do as you see fit. The big difference between the 2.5L motor and the 3.0L motor is where the motors make power. The 2.5L motor only makes like 20 hp less, but the trick is you have to get the motor wound up (over 4,000 RPM) before it really starts making power. Where the 3.0L motor makes really good torque down low, so, all you have to do is step on the gas and the car moves right along. I hardly ever take my car above 3,000 RPM as my car will out accelerate most vehicles when I do this. If I want to play, I will wind it up a little more, but for the most part, my car never sees above 3,000 RPM because of the power band that the 3.0L motor has.

If you were looking to have a car with more umpf and money isn't an object, I would tell you to get your hands on a used 3.0L motor, tear it down, rebuild the motor so it is brand new and then do a little bit of work on the heads to open them up a little bit and then do a port/polish job on the intake and heads. Then you add in the Mina exhaust and I think you will find that you will have a nice little car on your hands that will get off the line really nicely.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

As for rims that will improve the cornering ability of the car, the 17's do a pretty good job. Some people have said that stepping up to 18's is slightly better, but I am not sure if it would be worth the $1000 for new rims/tires good. But, again, your car, your money, you do as you think is best. 19's will fit, but I think you will find that keep those rims in useable shape to be a challenge if you have a fair number of potholes on your local roads. it doesn't leave a lot of rubber to absorb those sharp edges of potholes.

The tranny is the same between the 2.5L and 3.0L motors. So, the blocks will interchange with no issues. They are the same block just with a different crank in them.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:36 PM

I have 17s and they are a very nice compromise. Very good handling with a decent ride. They look very good too!

I second thermo on the 3.0. Nice torque and HP without having to work out too hard.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Default Reply

Thanks guys this is what I was looking for I can rebuild the motor no prob! As for the exhaust I will probably go with the Mina exhaust. The rims 17's sound good where's is a good place to look?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Veteran member

Frank, go to your local auto wrecker and see what they can do for you. You can look on e-bay, but that is a gamble as the factory rims are subject to being bent easily. We have seen our fair share of bent rims here. So, it is a buyer beware situation with this.

The following users liked this post:
Frank Lucero (11-28-2011)
Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Frank Lucero, I was talked into buying a new '03 xtype 2.5 by the dealer. Quoted 0-60 speeds only a second slower then 3.0. They lied. I bought a '07 xtype 3.0 and the differance is like night and day. After 2K rpm the 3.0 really starts to pull. It doesn't have the exceleration of my '98 XK8 but it will get you there quick enough. Jack

Old 11-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Frank, I would highly recommend 18s on this car. They really fill out the wheel well quite nicely and take the car from looking like a mercury sable to looking the way it was intended. My 18s have been the best investment on this car so far. Many people don't think it's worth the extra coin, but it makes the car look new and refreshed as opposed to just another sedan.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

disguay, I filled out the wheel wells more with my car by simply stepping up to 235's over the factory 225's. It gives me 10mm more of tread width which will help with any cornering that I do. They fit on the factory rims (17's) and they are right at the limit of what my car will handle. I have a very light rubbing at the back center of the front wheel wells. I probably need to get in and tie the wheel well liner back just to eliminate any questions for a safety inspection.

Quick Reply: 02 jaguar x-type