X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 X-type Driver window operation erratic

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool '03 X-type Driver window operation erratic

Hello; I have just purchased an '03 X-type for my wife. She loves the car and is our first Jag. The drivers window seems to have a mind of it's own when opening and closing. It will open all the way fine. But when I try to close it the window goes up about 3/4 and then goes down again by itself and sometimes stops 3/4 of the way down. I depress the switch again and hold it and the widow goes up to within 1/2 inch from top and stops. if I push the switch to close again it goes back down. it repeats this cycle about three times and then closes all the way. very annoying!!! to say the least. It seems to me that it is some kind of calibration problem or something like it. The auto up and down function but only as I have described. Any Ideas would be helpful.
Thanks

Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

It's probably your safety UP SENSOR over riding a problem with track. The force sensor is shutting off dew to a binding track or even the rubber guides getting sticky at the edges of the glass. I would try spraying a little WD-40 on the tracks to start with. I have had the glass come loose from the lower mount causing the glass to go askew and bind but you usually can see that, also if the previous owner got something jammed in the window it could have bent a track arm. there is no DOWN SAFETY so they usually go down fine unless there really tweeked. Worst case is a water got into the switch or controller which doesn't sound likely since it's erratic. My daughter had the mechanism in her SunBird replaced twice by the dealer an it still didn't work, LOL.

The following users liked this post:
AngusJam (07-06-2020)
Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Billbjork
Thanks for the reply!
i will investigate it from that tact.

Rt68

Old 03-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Windows

Originally Posted by rt68
Hello; I have just purchased an '03 X-type for my wife. She loves the car and is our first Jag. The drivers window seems to have a mind of it's own when opening and closing. It will open all the way fine. But when I try to close it the window goes up about 3/4 and then goes down again by itself and sometimes stops 3/4 of the way down. I depress the switch again and hold it and the widow goes up to within 1/2 inch from top and stops. if I push the switch to close again it goes back down. it repeats this cycle about three times and then closes all the way. very annoying!!! to say the least. It seems to me that it is some kind of calibration problem or something like it. The auto up and down function but only as I have described. Any Ideas would be helpful.
Thanks
Try these fixes first, get a can silicone spray and spray into the rubber window track, I have one window that does what you describe I tried to reset it and nothing just the same. After I sprayed the silicone it works fine. Do Not use WD 40, never use this on rubber, us silicone only.

Next try reset your window code. From the driver seat roll each window down by holding the button completely down until the window stops, count 3 seconds and press the button down again, count three seconds, then push the button up and hold until it is closed and count three seconds while holding the button. This my also solve your problem. On each three second count hold the button.

The following users liked this post:
AngusJam (07-06-2020)
Old 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes adam you are correct in the long run silicone is better, i use wd as a test because it's readily available and cheap, good point though.