Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 x type suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 03 x type suspension

Hi guys.
I've just got got a 2003 2.1 petrol jaguar x type and plan on getting coilovers.

My question is can I fit mondeo coilovers ? If so what year mondeo should I be looking at?

if it is a myth that the x type is the same (suspension wise) as a mondeo please stop me in my tracks.

Help is well appreciate as I don't want to spend £1000 for the coilovers.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

xtypetom, welcome to the forums. Lot of good information here and lots of people willing to help you get what you are after. But, please stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your question, yes, a lot of the suspension parts are from a Ford Mondeo (aka, Ford Fusion). In your case, I would be looking at roughly the same year Mondeo as your car. But, if the body style is the same, you should be good too. You may be also able to use the springs from say a Volvo S40 too (this shares some of the same components too). The Volvo parts will be especially helpful if you are lowering your car as you will need adjustable upper control arms for the rear suspension if you are lowering it.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:24 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are looking for Mondeo parts make sure to look only estate ones as X-Type sedan and estate have a rear suspension from a Mondeo estate, sedan Mondeo has a MacPherson in the rear.

But I don't think that coilovers from Mondeo would fit because rear shock absorber has a different upper mounting point. Maybe you could press out the bush from your old shock absorber and fit it to your new one but not sure if they are the same size. Can't find any info about the size of front ones. As they would need to be exactly the same diameter at the bottom to fit.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 AM

Thank you guys will have to keep an eye out for some, but I think if its still to unknown will just have to save up for the jaguar coilovers.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:30 PM
Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I can tell you that the kw coilovers for the x are worth the price if you want a much better handling x type. As for Mondeo coilovers working, they might but that would be a costly mistake if there was just a little difference between them. If you really wanted to you could try to find one front and one rear shock setup from a stock Mondeo wagon and see if they bolt on. I'm going to be trying that eventually with focus shocks to see about getting a more track ready coilovers. For a great handling street car the kw coilovers are awesome, not too stiff but great in the turns. I've had mind for over 2 years and 10k miles and they are still like new.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:29 PM

Okay I think I will go with the KW's. If they are as good as people say then it is worth the money. Thanks for the help.