Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 jag 3.0 ticking from motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Consider trying a little "Better Living Through Chemistry":

Purchase a $5 can of "STP Oil Treatment", or "Motor Honey" brand and add it to the oil.

Walmart or just about any auto parts store will have it. This stuff will thicken the oil so much there could be a little man inside the engine with a hammer banging on an anvil, and you'd never know it.

If you find the right Used Car Lot, you just might be able to trade it straight across for something with less problems if you come up with the right 'back story' ("Insurance is too high", "Hubby can't get in and out of it, he hurt his back and it's too low", "Too nice for the likes of me", you get the idea).

If the STP or Motor Honey doesn't rid it of the knock, about half-a-cup of the finest hardwood sawdust you can find, added to the oil, will.

(and if you have access to a Code Reader, see if you can clear the codes before driving it on the lot, too)

I don't think there is a soul in this forum who doesn't secretly delight in the mental image of a Used Car Dealer crying.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm I'm not sure lol I wouldnt be able to cuz I have no where to drop the one that's in here now. I'm also a 18 year old female ha but we will know more about the pricin and everything tomorrow. What is the lower bearing exactly? And would driving it make it worse??

Thank everyone one of you! I just wanted to tell everyone exactly what it was

Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM

Bruce, I just might have to do that. Thank you so much!!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

im assuming you ment big end bearing. it could last for months-years if your lucky or it could let go tomorow. No way to tell sorry but it will get worse and cause more damage to the engine.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 PM

They just told my step dad it was a lower bearing. I have no idea what that is but i just kbow it not good! So should I not drive it at all?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:28 PM

Name:  bis_babylon_com2.png
Views: 489
Size:  6.4 KB

No i would not drive it if i was in your shoes. the bearing is just two half shells. but when thay go wrong the internals of the engine will start to become lose bang and knock.

Last edited by fix it; 11-05-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:04 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>No i would not drive it

But why not? The motor is doomed anyway. Just put some 50wt motor oil in it and drive it until it dies. After all it's not going to explode or anything. Just some day the noise will be too annoying that she'd stop driving it anyway or perhaps it just won't start.

I could be thousands of miles until that happens. If she needs a car and doesn't plan on taking any long trips with it. I'd say to just keep driving it until it dies and needs to be towed to a junk yard.

Keep driving but also start saving for its replacement because eventually you're going to need it.
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by pab
>No i would not drive it

But why not? The motor is doomed anyway. Just put some 50wt motor oil in it and drive it until it dies. After all it's not going to explode or anything. Just some day the noise will be too annoying that she'd stop driving it anyway or perhaps it just won't start.

I could be thousands of miles until that happens. If she needs a car and doesn't plan on taking any long trips with it. I'd say to just keep driving it until it dies and needs to be towed to a junk yard.

Keep driving but also start saving for its replacement because eventually you're going to need it.

Google con rod throgh block it might explode although chances are silm.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by pab

... The motor is doomed anyway. Just put some 50wt motor oil in it and drive it until it dies. After all it's not going to explode or anything. ...i could be thousands of miles until that happens. If she needs a car and doesn't plan on taking any long trips with it. I'd say to just keep driving it until it dies and needs to be towed to a junk yard.

I gotta admit, I'm with pab on this.

Just pour a can of STP in it (maybe do as pab suggests and put really heavyweight oil in there, too), and drive 'er till she drops !!!

The engine is actually an American-made Ford, more or less "bullet-proof". It will likely get you need to go without any major investment required for a little while, which is nice because Christmas and winter heating bills are right around the corner.

Best 'o luck!

Old 11-07-2012, 02:39 PM

If I don't drive it then what yall think i could sell her for? Needing the work. Just in case that oil doesn't work. Has 133,000 miles

Old 11-07-2012, 05:46 PM

Now this dude is telling me its 2000. I don't think he knows what he's talkin about. Do yall think it would cost that much or do yall think it sounds right? This guy looked at it for free. I have noone else to look at it. What is the lower bearing exactly called? Cuz I try googling it and nothing comes up. I think this dude is stupid ! Ha

Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 PM

He also said I got to replace all of them. Not just one?

Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 AM

how did he know the bearing was going?
How long did he have the car?
Do you know any friends who could have a look at it for you?

its not worth pulling the engine apart to replace the bearings. Yes they all have to be replaced but what other damage will be in there as well.

I would think i would be cheaper to get a used engine from a scrap yard there cheap here in the uk but in the us i dont know.

there bearing is shown in the pic above it is 2 half shells off metal that sit inbetween the conrod and the crank shaft.

The bearings them selfs are not exensive but the labour time will be massive and prob show up more problems.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:29 AM

these are not for the right car but shows what the bearings are

Ford 1.3, 1.6 X/Flow Kent Big End Engine Bearings (Std) | eBay

Old 11-08-2012, 04:59 AM

As an "18 year-old female" (as you said) who drives a World-Class Car (A JAGUAR!), I should expect you to develop your feminine wiles enough to snag a good mechanic.

Not any mechanic, mind you.

(You need a really good one!)

Try hanging out around the local Community College engine repair shop; leave your motor running.

(If you have a boyfriend now, dump him: he's worthless if he can't work on your Jag !)

The parts - a full bearing set - is less than $100. Fresh oil and filter are another $50.

Don't even think of selling your Jag. Just continue to drive it until you can get it fixed.

My recently departed wife used to say "Good men are easy to find, they are a dime a dozen. But a decent mechanic... now, that's difficult!"

(when asked why we were together for so long)

And if you can't find a guy to work on your old Jag, find a guy that will buy you a NEW Jag!

Best of luck to you!

(Just turn the radio up to get rid if the knock)

Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce in North Dakota
As an "18 year-old female" (as you said) who drives a World-Class Car (A JAGUAR!), I should expect you to develop your feminine wiles enough to snag a good mechanic.

Not any mechanic, mind you.

(You need a really good one!)

Try hanging out around the local Community College engine repair shop; leave your motor running.

(If you have a boyfriend now, dump him: he's worthless if he can't work on your Jag !)

)
I was thinking the same.

Im feeling a second opinion is need over this engine to start with.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:20 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>Im feeling a second opinion is need over this engine to start with.

I agree, but everyone has to understand that if it really does have a "rod knock" then it probably "turned" a bearing. That will have damaged the crank journal so simply replacing the bearing will get you nothing. The damaged surface of the crankshaft journal would probably just "snag" the new bearing and turn it too. The only thing that can be done is to machine the journal and install over sized bearings. The connecting rod would also probably have to be replaced since the rapping on the crankshaft will probably have beaten it out of shape. But then if you have replace the connecting rod you might as well replace the rings since the piston has to be removed and since the piston is out you might as well hone the cylinder, but since that might cause the bore to increase you might as well just bore it out and put in some over sized pistons, but since you need to take the head off to do that, you might as well do a valve job, but while doing the valve job you might want to get a machine shop to port and polish the head, but if you're doing that you might check the profile of the lobes of the cams and see that they have worn and might decide to replace them, too...

Or you could just drive it until you can't stand the noise anymore...

Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Thats what i was getting at in an above post i didnt wat to go into so much detail but yes you are right.

how much are second hand engines over there?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:39 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>Thats what i was getting at in an above post i didnt wat to go into so much detail

Yup, understood, I just started following the logic path and kind of fell down the rabbit hole... ;-)

Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM

Hahaha yall make me laugh!.me and boyfriend have been together almost 3 years. To be completly honest I don't even care too much about my jag(the x type) I think its gorgeous but just not me! . I like the jagxf lol them are way to much (: we live in Mississippi. I'm more of a girl that likes trucks. Now me and my boyfriend could work on them all day long. That's what I truly want. I'm no longer working( very long story) and lookin for a new job. We became parents a little early so we really dont have yo much extra money. He has a huge lifted ford f250. We drove my car for the gas mileage(: we have friends that work on there cars all the time but there to scared to touch my car. The guy has my car for a whole day. Said he had to look inside the motor! Then came up it was the bearings. this is also the guy that told me it probably was ticking/knocking from goin to nonsyn. Oil to syn. We changed my oil and filter back and no change. Is there a way I could show yall my video I got of my motor noise on here?I keep trying but its not working! It doesn't sound Like its comin from lower in the motor at all. But hell I dont now! I'm gonna look up motors around here. Be rigjt back!

Quick Reply: 04 jag 3.0 ticking from motor