Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 jag 3.0 ticking from motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 jag 3.0 ticking from motor

hey yall!

Not only have i not replaced my throttle body yet,my sensor went bad, but now i have a very loud ticking coming from my motor. its not a rod knocking though. someone told me that if you put synthetic oil in there after it has had none synthetic then it could cause the ticking noise. it does it mostly when its almost to 2000 rpm then stops when it gets in about 3rd gear. my step dad gave me the car and he said the last time he changed the oil he put synthetic in there! no telling though, he could of forgotten but is that true that it could cause the ticking? i also been told it could be my lifters lose? what do yall think?

also what kind of oil and how much does everyone else use? synthetic or non?

Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

I run 6 quarts of 30-5Wt synthetic Mobile 1 with a Mobile 1 filter. The importance of regular oil changes can not be over stated. Internal damage to the motor from poorly lubed parts usually ends up in motor replacement.

As for the ticking coming from switching mid stream to synthetic from dyno oil; I've never heard of that. With regular maintenance these engines (Duratec) can go 200K miles plus!

Old 10-26-2012, 12:56 PM

so what do you think my problem could be? it just started this last night and i am really trying to avoid the shop again! what about the lifters? isnt that something i could just tighten? or what else could it be? i changed the oil reg. it wasnt longer than a month ago i changed it and i used 5 quarts of synthetic.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM

i also added another quart of some last night! ive read where some people use 5 and some use 6 and some use more than that.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:22 PM

Honestly, a clicking/ticking sound from inside the engine is usually a sign of a big problem. I would use a flashlight and inspect all the belts with the engine idling to make sure you don't have a torn belt that is slapping against the motor causing the sound. Other than that, an exhaust manifold gasket leak can lead to what you're hearing.

Thermo wrote the following to memeber who posted a video of a ticking noise from their engine:
"From the sounds of things, you have a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. What happens is the leak causes the backpressure on the exhaust manifold to drop, which causes the valve to bounce, leading to the ticking that you are hearing. I would start there and see what you can find. When attempting to find the source of the leak, get your hands on some tygon tubing. PUt one end of the hose up to your ear and then run the other end around the suspected leaks (works for both exhaust leaks and vacuum leaks). As the end of the tube gets near the leak, you will hear the leak in the tube."

Here is a link to the thread.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ticking-75666/

Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM

thank you so much!

Old 10-26-2012, 06:47 PM

No problem gb! How many miles does the car have?

As for your question about tightening the lifters, X-Types don't have lifters. The overhead cams push down directly on the valves, causing them to open. So, no need for lifters.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:33 PM

What else could cause the ticking it sounds like its coming from top of the motor closer to the passenger side. And it has 133,000 miles.

Also could me not changing my throttle body yet cause something else to mess up?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 PM

GB, the passenger's side is where the serpentine belt is, which could be tearing and have a torn rib that is slapping against the motor, etc.. So, to rule this out, shine a flashlight down the passenger's side of the motor, (remove the black plastic engine cover) and inspect the serpentine belt carefully. Follow its path around all the pulleys that you can see and look for damage to the belt.

If this turns out to be the problem, great! If not, you need to take it to mechanic, where you may find that you need to start looking for a used motor. If so, I would drive it with the ticking until the engine actually fails and meanwhile be looking for a junk yard motor with 50K miles on it. A used motor should be about $1,800. Then you need about $1,00 to get it installed.

Good luck! I know this may not be the best news but you'll get there!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:09 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

The other "backyard mechanic" trick to finding a strange noise is to use a long handled screwdriver like a stethoscope. Touch the pointy end against some part of the motor and place you ear on the handle. You will clearly hear any noise that is being generated under/near where you are touching the engine.

Once you know where the sound is coming from you will be able to start thinking about what to do, or be able to talk with your mechanic.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

how loud is the ticking?...could it just be the fuel injectors functioning normally?...they tend to have a ticking sound

Old 10-31-2012, 11:49 PM

Patterson, I think I was wrong its not comin from that side. Sounds like the middle. Not quite sure. I'm gonna have to try the screwdriver trick(: and I also found out today it doesn't do it till my motor is warmed up then it will do it while its idoling. I have a video of the noise. Its not really a ticking, I don't know how to describe it. Gotta find out how to load a video off my phone onto here. I see where you said theres no lifters but I read something about valve lifters?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

could it be the catalytic converter braking up. or a simple exhaust leek, craked manifold, manifold gasket.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 PM

I don't know how to upload the video on here but if you go to youtube there's on called jaguar x type engine problem and it sounds almost just like that. I think it is coming from the passenger side of the engine. Some people disagree with me. I heard it could also be the timing chain? Or the thing around it. I don't know what that's called. If you watch the video let me know what you think it sounds like.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:31 PM

Also could it be a rocker arm?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:34 AM

If you search gbmommy81 on youtube it should bring up my video! It won't let me copy url!

Last edited by gbmommy(:; 11-04-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If your noise is the same as the video on youtube you mentioned, jaguar x type engine problem, then you have a problem and drove it well after the sound started.

If you watch my video from the link provided above, that's what the noise you are hearing started as. Mine now sounds like the video you mentioned after driving it 5-10 miles. The shop told me it was lower end noise, most likely rod knock, but I don't believe it. I think it is a rocker arm and will be tearing the valve covers off sometime this winter for figure it out.

Good luck and let me know you shop says, maybe it will save me some time.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:09 PM

Okay Thank you! I will be taking it to the shop tomorrow. Hopefully they can pin point it. I do not think its the rod either. Search my video. Just search gbmommy81 and it should pull it up. The way it sounds now is the way it started. I'll keep yall posted tomorrow soon as they tell me something. Good luck to you also ! This is my only car so I have to figure out soon. On top of that have to change my throttle body because my tps :/

Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 PM

well i got the wonderful news today thats its the lower bearing. they will call me back but probably around 3,000 to fix. thats a whole new motor and replaced! ohhhh lord! what to do now! i guess just sell it. why put 3,000 in a car that i could maybe get 7000 for?

Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gbmommy(:
well i got the wonderful news today thats its the lower bearing. they will call me back but probably around 3,000 to fix. thats a whole new motor and replaced! ohhhh lord! what to do now! i guess just sell it. why put 3,000 in a car that i could maybe get 7000 for?
sorry to here that could you not change the engine your self with help from the forum.

Quick Reply: 04 jag 3.0 ticking from motor