X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 X-Type AWD V6 3L - new owner advice/tips and thoughts regarding the running fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 X-Type AWD V6 3L - new owner advice/tips and thoughts regarding the running fan

Just bought an X-type AWD V6 3.0L with 116,xxx miles on it. I got it for a fair value I think because of the great condition it is in both inside and out. No rattling at high speeds (90mph highway), trans shifts well. The only thing I will have the dealer check out is the fan will stay running (seems like always) while the car is on. It does shut off when I turn the car off, after a long drive it took a minute or two to turn off. I did read previous posts so I checked the antifreeze first and it was low. Filled it up, made sure it was not leaking from what I could tell. Now the fan turns off pretty much within seconds of turning off the car. Temp gauge is normal. From what I understand I should have them (while under short warranty) look at the module. Also I plan on having it maintained well and having upkeep done one step at a time... Any other tips or advice would be appreciated (no maintenance records were provided upon purchase)

Old 04-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Forget about the fan control module, unless you want to go aftermarket or find one in a breaker yard. If you want that part from Jaguar you'll have to buy the whole fan shroud assembly for about $1000, plus labor. I also have an '04 with similar mileage. Had to replace the radiator recently and found a bad bearing on one of my fan motors. Forum member motorcarman helped me out with a motor and clued me in on the control module.

You're going to love the car though. I've had ours for about a year and it's a very nice driver. I suggest you look at freshening up the fluids - transmission, transfer case, differential, power steering, brake fluid and coolant, plus fuel, engine and cabin air filters. There are a lot of threads here about the driveline fluids; Jaguar says they're "lifetime fill" but that's bunkum for most here. Accordingly you'll get blank stares (or sky-high quotes) from dealership service departments. All can be DIY'd depending on your skills and motivation. Forum sponsor SNG Barratt has a printed parts catalog that they'll send you by email request. I think it's an excellent reference. I bought a Haynes workshop manual through Amazon. Though written for UK market it'll give you some good tips for part locations and procedures. There are many YouTube videos as well.

Last edited by swingwing; 04-11-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added sentence.
The following users liked this post:
AllenB (04-12-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 08:15 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

AllenB, if you think your fan module is not working correctly, here is the check that you can do. First thing after letting the car set for a few hours (so the engine is cold), get into the car and turn off anything dealing with the heating/cooling of the car (A/C, defroster, etc). Pop the hood and prop it up so you can look into the engine bay. At this point, start the car. Did the fans turn on? If yes, then you have a bad fan control module. If no, let the car come up to temp by idling. You should see the fan kick on slowly at first and over time they will speed up some, but still only give a gentle breeze as the car sits there. At any point that you feel like the fans are running like they should, get in and turn on the A/C system and turn the fans on MAX and dial the temp down to the lowest it will go. This will force the fans to run constantly at maximum speed. If you walk back out to the hood, you should be getting a face full of air at this point if you bend down a little bit.

The following users liked this post:
motorcarman (04-12-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

While the cooling fans have been an issue on the X-Type, you will be spending quite a bit of money to get the newer fan and module assembly, plus you need the new link lead to connect to the main harness. Labor wise it shouldn't be that expensive, I've changed out many of these in about 1-1.5 hours. Once you update the cooling fans and module to latest, you should be worry free.

Some other common things to keep an eye on
Thermostats have been known to fail, mainly on the inside because where the mount on the inside cover they break due to being plastic.

IMT valve O-rings have been known to fail, but inexpensive to fix, and can be done in about 10 minutes in the garage.

Transfer cases have been known to leak. The gear oil leaks through the output shaft, through to the driveshaft. Keep in mind they only take about 600ml of gear oil, so once a leak starts, get it fixed. If the transfer case fails, it's going to be costly, part and labor wise.

Another issue they early X-Types had was the transmission. There was a major recall on them due to a internal component that cracks, and causes pressure loss. They were all to be replaced by upgraded units, so most likely at this stage, yours as already been replaced.

Other than that, I cant really recall any other major issues. I saw above someone made a comment about "filled for life". IMO, I think that is just a selling point, all manufacturers use that line these days. It basically means life of the warranty. You still need to keep fluids changed, definitely in the transmission.

The X-Type is actually a good car IMO. Just keep an eye on things, and if something doesn't seem right, come here and ask questions. I've only been on this forum for about a year, but been a Jaguar tech for 15 years, only in the last year become dual brand on LR as well. I even come across things on here that are new to me at times, and are quite useful, someone is always here to help. Everyone on here are very nice and helpful.

Enjoy the X-Type!

Old 04-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If the fans seemed to be running more than you think they should and the coolant level was low it could be that you have a leak in teh cooling system rather than an issue with the fan control module. The temperature gauge won't really move because it is not an actual linear gauge. It will move to just off of the halfway mark and stay there once it reaches operating temperature. Then even if it is running warmer than usual it will not move again until it pretty much overheats. The most common places to check for coolant leaks would be the top nipple of the coolant tank and also the water pump. Water pumps seem to go on these cars about 90K-110K range. Might be something to check out. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 PM

Thank Thermo,
I have completed the check and as you said the fan kicks on max power upon turning the car on. I have already contacted the used car dealer as they only provided me with a 3month/1000mile warranty and I drive about 100miles a day round trip to work.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:24 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the input. I really did not expect such detail and love in this forum.
The fluid was about half way and it filled it to just below max. I have been looking for leaks and/or spots on the ground and have not seen either since filling. Also it is still full and the fan kicks on full speed as soon as you turn the car on.
Contacting the dealer again as they owe me a spare and just yesterday the car started to whistle at low speeds. While speeding up from a stop and also when letting go of the gas/brake so basically letting the car just roll.
Also need to get a spare key made which I have read about and going to a jag dealer will really hurt my pockets (500) so going with ordering the fob and going to a locksmith.

I must say I am not really handy but do have a best friend that is a mechanic. I am more of a tech/IT guy.
Reading a lot of these posts I am really excited to have bought this car and feel like owning a jag is more of a family thing than just another car and that I can actually get my hands dirty and work on it myself as you guys are very detailed.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

Old 04-12-2017, 11:23 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

The fan will come on if the A/C is on. Also, if the fans are staying on after the engine has stopped, it could be signs of the thermostat starting to fail, but if they only stay on for less than a minute, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

As for the key, did you only get one Key with the vehicle or 2 keys? There is a trick to programming the key and remote without having to go to the dealer, but that's if you have 2 keys already.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:33 AM

Thanks JBzXJ40,
The A/C was off while testing. Also the fan would stay running for 5+ min after the car was shut off (sometimes). This evening I noticed the fan shut off when I shut the car off then I turned the key just to close the window without starting the car and the fan came on and was that way for 5+ min.
I received only 1 key from the dealer.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:38 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

AllenB, you're going to find many threads here about key/fob issues. I had to replace one and here's what I did:

1. Bought a new fob with uncut key from Amazon for approx $30.

2. The design on these keys is called Tibbe. Not all locksmiths can cut them.

3. Took mine to Jag dealer for cutting and programming. Cost me $200. Now I have three keys, one with non-functional fob.