X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'04 x type left rear caliper

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 x type left rear caliper

So I had my rear pads changed at my jaguar mechanic about 5,000 miles ago, and when they went to spin the caliper back in it would not go, needless to say they said I needed a new one and put on a new caliper. about 5000 miles into it I realzed that my e brake was not releasing, unless you manually 'turn it off" by pushing the lever back to 'neutral' on the caliper by hand. I took it back the my mechanic and we tried everything. the cable is not stuck, the spring is still good, but it just appears that the e brake lever on the caliper will not go back completely to the off position. Watching it work it will not release the last 1/8 inch without manually pushing it back to "neutral" Has anyone else had this problme and what it the solution.. If this post does not make since let me know and I will re word it.

The 'lever' I refer to is the mechanical part on the inside of the caliper behind the wheel that the cable hooks to. the cable, when you pull up on the handle int he car, pulls the 'lever' and activates the brake. When you release the handle in the car the spring, I believe, is responsible for pulling the 'lever' back to off position.

Thanks

Old 02-18-2010, 08:30 AM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had difficulty as you describe.
I found that if you remove the little arm (one torx screw ) and they lift off the rubber washer under it, there is stick dirty stuff behind causing the binding.

remove, clean, lubricate, and put it back together.

THe cables have to be VERY unstuck, they have to move easily with your baby finger for everything to work right.

On an aside, I have had the rear caliper totally apart, and there is nothing to break.. I hear so many stories of caliper problems, I wonder what is really going on.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jimmy. After I remove the spring and the torx screw, does the washer just lift out, is there anything that I should watch for, such as springs under tension or anything flying out. Do you do this while it is still on the car, or do you remove the caliper.

thanks, anyone else have this problem.