X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 x-type no reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 x-type no reverse

I recently added trans fluid purchased form jag almost immedietly lost reverse. The engine started to shake a bit while in revers and no reverse. I took the transmission out and took it to a trans guy. he opened it up and found notthing wrong with it. I put it back and still no reverse. The car has no transmission leaks or any odd noises. Can someone please help solve this problem. Thanks

Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Yass, do you notice the car being hard to start on some days? It may be that your tranny position switch is slightly off and it is causing the computer to see the tranny between gears. This will cause it to go into a neutral mode as it doesn't know where you want it to be. After that, sounds like the fluid is at a proper level and the tranny fluid pump is working properly since it is shifting properly in the forward gears. So, that would only leave a blockage inside the tranny affecting reverse only or something like a solenoid is failed and is not allowing the fluid to flow to the proper locations inside the tranny for reverse.

On a side note, when it reverse, does the car roll easily forward like it is in neutral or does it take some significant effort to get it to move? Looking for some data points that might help narrow down where things are going astray.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Default 03 x-type no reverse... hard to start sometimes

Originally Posted by Thermo
Yass, do you notice the car being hard to start on some days? It may be that your tranny position switch is slightly off and it is causing the computer to see the tranny between gears. This will cause it to go into a neutral mode as it doesn't know where you want it to be. After that, sounds like the fluid is at a proper level and the tranny fluid pump is working properly since it is shifting properly in the forward gears. So, that would only leave a blockage inside the tranny affecting reverse only or something like a solenoid is failed and is not allowing the fluid to flow to the proper locations inside the tranny for reverse.

On a side note, when it reverse, does the car roll easily forward like it is in neutral or does it take some significant effort to get it to move?

Thermo!!!!

Can you please explain....

I do notice my '03 Jaguar X being hard to start on some days and I have no reverse? I'll crank it some days 10-30 times for it to get to start and sometimes it will start and cut off in 2 seconds and than I finally get it to crank again and give it some gas and it will run fine. I figured it had something to do with the freezing cold weather I've been experiencing. I've only had the Jaguar for about 2 weeks,
this cat has lived it's entire life in Florida, I transported it from Miami.

What's the fix?!?!?

If it happens to be that my tranny position switch is slightly off and it is causing the computer to see the tranny in-between gears.

I'm mechanically inclined so how would I go about trying to fix this?

The Jag is shifting properly in the forward gears just fine but the reverse just rev's up and goes no-where.

When in reverse, the Jag can roll easily as if it's in neutral. I can push it myself, standing outside the drivers door, this is how I've been backing into spots so I can leave easily.
Cheers, -Kyle

Old 02-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Hold on....how did you add fluid to the transmission? Please note the following: you have probably mistaken the reduction-band anchor bolt for the fluid check plug - they are very close together and look similar!!!

I quote verbatim from a technical bulletin regarding the JATCO JF506E transmission: 'A no reverse condition after fluid service: This could be caused by mistaking the reduction-band bolt for the fluid check plug. This mistake is easily made but the consequences are time-consuming and expensive. Once the reduction-band anchor is removed, the band will move out of place, which causes the transmission to seriously slip in forward gear and to lose reverse."..
The bad news is that the transmission must be disassembled.
Sorry....

Old 02-15-2015, 04:17 PM

I have yet to do a fluid change on the transmission and it does not slip in forward gears. The cat truly runs great except it has a loud noise when going over bumps and it doesn't go backwards.... I'm assuming it's either sway bar bushings or control arm bushings that make the noise when going over bumps or rough roads. I'm going to be taking a look at that tomorrow when I get it up on the rack.

I'm hoping it's a transmission position sensor.... I really need THERMO's help!!!!

HELP ME THERMO!!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

As you look down on the transmission from the engine compartment you will see the transmission gear range position sensor bolted to the top of the transmission with a few wires coming out of it. The mechanical gear selector cable coming from the shifter snaps onto the underside of transmission from below and the shaft runs all the way up behind the valve body and out the top of the transmission with the sensor attached to that end. The sensor switch tells the Ecu what gear you have selected and also illuminates the gear light on the dash.

Attached below are the J-Gate reset procedures and the adjustment of the gear selector switch on top of the transmission.

On the used transmission I bought the sensor was damaged and gave me all sorts of trouble, once I understood how simple the operation actually was it was pretty easy to diagnose and make sure it was adjusted correctly. If the J-Gate procedures don't help, I think the easiest way to adjust it is to put the car in Neutral, unbolt the switch on top of the transmission, make sure it's in the 3rd detent (neutral) and then bolt it back down.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Transmission reset J Gate.pdf (178.0 KB, 785 views)

Last edited by ltmax; 02-15-2015 at 10:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
xjaguarx (02-15-2015)
Old 02-15-2015, 11:38 PM

ltmax.... thank you

Any chance you have a picture of the illumination of the gear light on the dash?

Also, I posted a thread about a problem I'm currently having with my cluster

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...x-type-136948/

Old 12-25-2017, 03:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xjaguarx,

I have the exact symptoms as you with my 2004 Jaguar X Type 3.0 Automatic. Did the Transmission Reset J Gate work for you? My Transmission guy is on holiday and I need a Christmas Miracle. I'll be trying it as soon as I can find a drive on lift that I can use. My car was in Reverse when the engine shook and stopped going backward and then I brought it forward and tried again and it didn't have any acceleration in reverse but it moved easily backward with a slight push or a very slight incline as though it was in reverse neutral. I never touched the Reverse Anchor Bolt. I also have noticed my key sticking in the ignition a week prior and I thought it was the ignition cylinder going but this makes sense as well. Any info on what worked for you would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Holidays,

Celeste

The following users liked this post:
Wwta (10-12-2023)