X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06, automatic, 3.0L ...starter replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 07:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default '06, automatic, 3.0L ...starter replace?

Every once in a while starter doesn't engage. Spins but no crank. Wondering if these have separate solenoid? Or.... is there a how-to on changing the starter in an automatic? Seems the manual trans starter change is straightforward, but the auto is different and I'm not finding it using search.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
The following users liked this post:
yardbird (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok.... I read it.

That whole thing about supporting the drive train using that big jig sounds like overkill if I'm reading right.

I went out and looked at this and tried to follow what I was seeing and matching it up to the instructions.

Remove the battery box, I understand.
Support the transmission using a jack and wood block, I understand.

Does that mean I actually REMOVE that support bar? I see the one (forward) starter mounting bolt goes through a hole in that support bar. Is the "support bar" actually bearing weight? Like.... is it an engine mount? Or is it a stabilizing bar?

This really doesn't look like that bad of a job as long as I don't do something stupid by not supporting something when I loosen up that bar.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

I've not done this job, but offer this: Support the transmission as described. Loosen (not remove) the support bar fasteners. If support bar feels free enough to remove then you've got the engine supported below and can proceed.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:22 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If some one have not done the job he should not give an advice! I replaced my starter last year, two things I haven't done: 1st I only disconnected the battery cable but didn't need to remove the battery and the tray, 2nd I removed the support bar but I didn't need to support the trany, but if you do it will make you feel safer.

The following users liked this post:
swingwing (01-28-2017)