X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 X-Type 3.0 Wagon. P0706

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 X-Type 3.0 Wagon. P0706 Gearbox fault

I received this trouble code today. My mechanic was able to printed up a service bulletin XT307-01. I am currently waiting the car to cool down to try the Function Check.

The interesting thing I had not used anything but D, R, N and P for several months. Was going down a steep hill and decided to down shift to let the engine slow down the car. About 40 miles later, got off the interstate and came to a stop. It shifted rough into 2nd and jerked, 3 and jerked and then seemed to smooth out after. Yellow light and Gearbox message came on. Pulled over and did some quick reading on the trouble code. Verified I could shift through all the gears and the gear position lights worked. They all did. However, could not turn the sport mode off, light remained illuminated. I don't remember turning it on, but it could have been.

Continued home it it eventually went into limp mode.

Anyone else experience this? any ideas?

Will report back after the Function check of XT307-01

Last edited by hutchthis; 01-19-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: updating
Old 01-19-2017, 05:12 PM

Went through the Function Check and everything worked fine.

Went for a ride ride and no change.

I did learn something new. each time you start the car, it toggles sport mode. it switches between on and off after each start. once started you cannot toggle sport mode no matter which mode it starts up in.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The sport mode button sure throws a spanner into the diagnosis.

I would start by disconnecting the sport mode switch and see if that resolves the problem. Once the switch is set on/off the ignition switch should effect it.

If that doesn't resolve the problem I recommend you go to JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource and go to the jaguar spec books heading and download the powertrain sections.
You will find the directions to the Transmission Range (TR) Sensor Adjustment.

Give it a look and let us know what you find.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:01 PM

Update.

1st mechanic I brought it to said he couldn't work on it. unable to access information on the codes.

When I drove it home last night, I disconnected the battery over night based on other posts I have seen. no help.

I did pull some more codes that hopefully may help.
The saved codes were p0706, p0710, p0720, p0915
Pending codes were p1111 and p0710

Plan on getting it to another mechanic next couple dags. any additional info would be greatly appreciated. not sure where else to go next if necessary and if I should drive it too far.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2017, 06:02 PM

Thanks avern1. I have passed on your info.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I have posted below the info for the codes. It appears that there is a problem between the J-Gate and the TCM. You might try cleaning and re-seating the TCM plug and check the J-Gate for damage or broken connections.
P0706 - J Gate – incorrect setting Selector cable adjustment / installation incorrect
Range sensor incorrect installation /adjustment
Range sensor to TCM circuit(s): open circuit, short circuit to ground
TCM Ground circuit: open circuit, high resistance
Range sensor failure
P0710 - Transmission to TCM temperature sensor circuit: open circuit, short circuit, high resistance
Transmission internal temperature sensor circuit (internal harness): open circuit, short cicuit, high resistance
Sensor ground circuit fault
TFT Sensor failure
P0720 - Transmission to TCM output speed sensor circuit: open circuit, short circuit, high resistance
Transmission internal output speed sensor circuit: open circuit, short circuit, high resistance
Transmission to TCM output speed sensor circuit: shielding defective
Sensor ground circuit fault
Output speed sensor failure
P0915 - 2nd Gear signal to TCM circuit: short circuit,open circuit, high resistance
3rd Gear signal to TCM circuit: short circuit,open circuit, high resistance
4th Gear signal to TCM circuit: short circuit,open circuit, high resistance
J-Gate ground circuit: open circuit, high resistance
TCM Ground circuit: open circuit, high resistance

Last edited by avern1; 01-25-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:46 PM

Thanks so much for the information.

We pulled the TCM and found no visible corrosion on the pins. Primary mechanic was back in today, took the TCM apart, and found corrosion inside as well as water spots.

They generally just replace them, however it is a pretty expensive part. My plan was to order a used to one to get on on the way here as they are not too bad to purchase used. I have found one with compatible vins.

Do you think ordering a new one is jumping the gun? Is there a good chance cleaning things up will make things functional again if this is the problem? What is the best way to clean them? Alcohol and a firm brush?
I can get to the garage on Wednesday to clean things up. They are reluctant to but they know I am good with electronics.

Thanks for your help.