X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 headlight out

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 headlight out

I've checked by search, other folks problems seem more serious than mine.

Hi, UK drivers side. Dipped beam headlight fail. Changed bulb, checked fuses 29 and 30 .....all ok. No corrosion in headlight casing. Wiring in casing appears perfect.
Which relay should I check? (It isn't in user manual).
Anything else before I rip the front off lookin for a broken wire?
NOT HID, ordinary 55w H1 bulb.
Edit, just changed the bulb for another new one. No joy.

Edit 2. Whilst finding the fault, can I just bridge across from the other side or will that mess up a lot of other stuff?

Last edited by oldshape; 06-28-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

oldshape, both headlights come off of the same relay contact. So, if one is working, then the other one should be working. This tells me that your problem is either in the fuse box, the wiring between the fuse box and the headlight assembly, and/or the headlight assembly itself.

I know this may sound dumb, but try swapping fuses F29 and F30 and then check the headlights. I have seen in the past where the fuses will fail, but they will still look good. If the problem remains on your driver's side, I would try connecting a multimeter to the center post of the bad headlight bulb and chassis ground. Do you have 12 VDC there when the headlights are on? IF no, then your problem is in the wiring between the headlight assembly and the fuse box. IF you have 12 VDC, then your problem is in the ground wire between the bulb and the chassis ground.

If you need me to go into more detail, let me know.

The following users liked this post:
oldshape (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FIXED!!
No voltage on main wire.
So, began to root out the wire. Luckily, about 3" from the unit the wire had been chafed. I could just reach it with the soldering iron too! Result.
I reckon that the previous owner (Mother in law) or her garage had caught it whilst getting the dust cover off the back of HL unit. It's a bit tight down there with the ABS unit 100% in the way.
It must have been hanging on with a couple of strands, because it worked when I picked the car up. Then me messing with headlight dip adjuster, or thrashing the car home to clear thee deposits.......must've finished it off!

wrt to swapping fuses. Yeah, I actually replaced 29 and 30 as part of my diag. And yeah, cheap (Usually Chinese) fuses can break in the plastic moulding. Very rare, but I've heard of it.

Last edited by oldshape; 06-29-2017 at 07:29 AM.