X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.0 Diesel driveshaft removal help please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2.0 Diesel driveshaft removal help please.

I have been having front end vibration above 50 mph when accelerating in 4th and 5th etc. The vibration is quite strong but vanishes the second you lift off the gas. For eg. I can coast down hill at 60mph in neutral or with the clutch depressed and the car rolls smooth and vibration free, no wobbles or nothing, put the foot on the gas to accelerate and it feels like the engine is jumping around in the engine bay. The engine runs smooth by the way.
So, i have jacked up the car and checked all joints and engine / gearbox mounts and all are ok. But, upon checking the driveshafts for bends etc, my nearside ( passenger ) driveshaft inner joint spins out of true when spinning the roadwheel. The driveshaft bobs up and down etc at the gearbox end. Is this a common Jag diesel problem ?
To remove the driveshaft, is it a nut off the end and seperate the hub pinch bolt jobby, or can you roll back the CV gaitor and take a circlip off etc ???

Last edited by Yorkiemark; 09-30-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

download the JTIS and it will describe all of this in detail! Essentially, you have to take off your hub and the whole CV axle will just slide right out and you can replace it from there.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re Driveshaft replacement

Originally Posted by Yorkiemark
I have been having front end vibration above 50 mph when accelerating in 4th and 5th etc. The vibration is quite strong but vanishes the second you lift off the gas. For eg. I can coast down hill at 60mph in neutral or with the clutch depressed and the car rolls smooth and vibration free, no wobbles or nothing, put the foot on the gas to accelerate and it feels like the engine is jumping around in the engine bay. The engine runs smooth by the way.
So, i have jacked up the car and checked all joints and engine / gearbox mounts and all are ok. But, upon checking the driveshafts for bends etc, my nearside ( passenger ) driveshaft inner joint spins out of true when spinning the roadwheel. The driveshaft bobs up and down etc at the gearbox end. Is this a common Jag diesel problem ?
To remove the driveshaft, is it a nut off the end and seperate the hub pinch bolt jobby, or can you roll back the CV gaitor and take a circlip off etc ???
Hi Mark

I have exactly the same problem with my 2005 X Type 2.0D and have been puzzling over what the possible cause could be. I tow with my car as well, and with the caravan on the back it accentuates the vibration and feels like the car is shaking itself apart when on the throttle in 4th & 5th, but disappears altogether when lifting off - so it sounds like the symptoms are identical to yours.

Have you replaced your driveshaft? And has this cured the juddering?

Many thanks

Jon