XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Insurance-Engine swap 2009XK for 2007XJL ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Insurance-Engine swap 2009XK for 2007XJL ??

Help. Info please. Can one replace a 2009 XK convertible engine with a 2007 XJ8 L ? My engine got water in it. Insurance just replaced it without asking me. I finally tracked down the vin# to the car the engine came from and it says it was a 2007 XJ sedan. The car does NOT run the same. It is slower, doesn't take off, I can't dart across traffic. It sounds wrong, not the purr more of a old rumble. I am so not happy. The steering pump is making a noise. I will have to complain and take it back. It was a Jaguar dealer that did the switch out. Not that they were happy to put in a used part. Will this be a happy ending? I thought State Farm had to put in same year/miles or newer. They claim it has 12,600 miles. I am not buying it. I did not do a carfax yet but it said 16 history records on there.
Is there something that should have been done that wasn't? Will there be complications between the computer etc? I need to find the engine number on there now too. Will let Jag do that!

Last edited by CClifton; 09-12-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Apparently, the replacement can be performed. What are the specs of the XJ 8 engine compared to your engine?
Once I learned what you learned thus far, I'd be marching back to the insurance company and the dealer seeking details of how they arrived at the replacement. What information did they offer regarding the engine with exception to the mileage(?).
I don't think your claim was executed properly.
I'm sure you'll hear from others.
Good luck

The following users liked this post:
CClifton (03-09-2017)
Old 09-13-2015, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The part numbers for both a 'stripped engine' and 'short engine' are the same between the two models so it looks like a reasonable swap.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,151 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
The part numbers for both a 'stripped engine' and 'short engine' are the same between the two models so it looks like a reasonable swap.
Is "Stripped" and "Short" the same thing as us Americans call "Short Block"?? Block, crank, conn rods, pistons with nothing else?
If so, there are a LOT of different possibilities with cams, heads, intake and exhaust differences.
I dunno, I'd probably be pitching a fit about it.

CClifton (03-09-2017)
Old 09-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Assuming your 2009 was a 4.2L (300hp) then the 2007 XJ8 4.2L is also rated at 300hp.
So they could be the same engine . I don't have any more details than hp, sorry.
My Kennedy Jaguar book doesn't show a 2007 XJ8................

You need your Jaguar dealer to provide full engine spec comparisons for you.

Good Luck, Adrian

Old 09-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Is "Stripped" and "Short" the same thing as us Americans call "Short Block"?? Block, crank, conn rods, pistons with nothing else?
If so, there are a LOT of different possibilities with cams, heads, intake and exhaust differences.
I dunno, I'd probably be pitching a fit about it.

In the attached picture from the parts manual, short is on the bottom and stripped is on the top so stripped looks like a complete engine without the accessories.

Attached Thumbnails Insurance-Engine swap 2009XK for 2007XJL ??-engines.jpg  
Cee Jay (09-14-2015)
Old 09-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

This engine swap could hurt the future resale of the XK ...especially if the person or dealer finds out the engine is out of used XJL.

I wouldn't go for it personally. The number on the engine will always follow the car.

The engine didn't appear out of nowwhere, and I would want the history of why the XJL and why it came out of the XJL to begin with and with over 12,000 miles on it.

The XJL may be a 4.2L and same HP, but I think this issue will only hurt you in the long run.

If ever selling, you will have to fully disclose the engine in not original nor replaced from and XK. That might turn off any buyer.

I don't think the insurance was very good to you. Where did the engine come from? A salvage yard? Did the dealer have it already or was it shipped in to the dealer for the replacement?

Lots of questions to ask. I would dig much deeper into the history of that engine. Jaguar has to know.

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
CClifton (03-09-2017), ralphwg (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Think about a diminished value claim, even if you accept the engine swap.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM

I got the vin#. Dealer looked it up. Sold Jan 2007. In 2010 at Crown it had 10,700 miles. Only was in a couple times for small accessory reasons. No car/engine/driving issues. Have not found reason it was totalled yet. Hard to believe this car just sat with no one driving. More sleuthing to do? Thought auto junk yard said it may have been flipped. He said the oil was super clean when he got it. How much does one trust the used auto parts yard? Guess I could pay for CarFax to find out. State Farm has zero info. They also completed this without asking my approval to put in this used engine. If it is a good engine maybe everything else needs to be adjusted? or new? ugh. Has anyone changed out an engine? Does it take a while for the computer to adjust? Do computers adjust to your driving? I don't have the engine # b/c Jag put it in and didn't record it. Is it bad to have a 2007 used engine in a 2009 car even if it has few miles? I am worried about value but not sure what I can do.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
Correct, and given that the replacement engine supposedly has fewer miles than the failed unit, there is no comeback against the insurance company.

AS to why the car feels different, the dealer needs to look into the cause.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by CClifton
I got the vin#. Dealer looked it up. Sold Jan 2007. In 2010 at Crown it had 10,700 miles. Only was in a couple times for small accessory reasons. No car/engine/driving issues. Have not found reason it was totalled yet. Hard to believe this car just sat with no one driving. More sleuthing to do? Thought auto junk yard said it may have been flipped. He said the oil was super clean when he got it. How much does one trust the used auto parts yard? Guess I could pay for CarFax to find out. State Farm has zero info. They also completed this without asking my approval to put in this used engine. If it is a good engine maybe everything else needs to be adjusted? or new? ugh. Has anyone changed out an engine? Does it take a while for the computer to adjust? Do computers adjust to your driving? I don't have the engine # b/c Jag put it in and didn't record it. Is it bad to have a 2007 used engine in a 2009 car even if it has few miles? I am worried about value but not sure what I can do.
Why wouldn't you want to spend $40.00 to see if there are any reported issues. If you have the VIN from the 2007 XJL, simply ask the service mgr of dealership to have the GM or Sales Mgr provide a Carfax. These dealers pay a flat fee to CarFax for unlimited reports.

If not, don't be penny wise, dollar foolish over $40.00.....It's a Jaguar everything related is expensive.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I always thought they were the same engine...

Old 09-15-2015, 09:24 AM

I am learning that is true! So if it is same engine and engine is allegedly good why is it not running great? Back to the dealer repair shop I guess..

Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 AM

Also, How and why and who has a 2007 XJ sedan and never drives it?? 12,000 miles in 10 years? Insane. Which reminds me of another question for car experts here - is it not better for a machine ie engine to be run to stay good?

Old 09-15-2015, 09:40 AM

is it not better for a machine ie engine to be run to stay good?
No, old myth. It's lump of metal, not a living being.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:00 AM

There is an outfit in UK that rebuilds late model Jaguar engines; can't remember their name BUT go to UK Jaguar Forum and ask for help. Very helpful group.................

Good Luck Adrian

Old 09-15-2015, 10:11 AM

PS. Address is JAGUAR FORUM.co.uk

Old 09-15-2015, 11:18 AM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Quote:

You'd be incorrect. Unless an engine has been properly prepared just to have it sit can and will do damage. Seals can and will dry out, oil will seep off of sleeves and such allowing moisture to create rust. Gasoline left for a period of time will also go bad in fuel lines. Contrary to popular belief very low mile cars cars that are not driven every couple weeks are often more headaches maintenance-wise than those driven constantly and well-cared for. "A lump of metal". last I checked there were many different metals, lots of rubber that dries out, gaskets that dry out, electronics, plastics, etc.

CClifton (03-09-2017)
Old 09-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,151 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper
Quote:

You'd be incorrect. Unless an engine has been properly prepared just to have it sit can and will do damage. Seals can and will dry out, oil will seep off of sleeves and such allowing moisture to create rust. Gasoline left for a period of time will also go bad in fuel lines. Contrary to popular belief very low mile cars cars that are not driven every couple weeks are often more headaches maintenance-wise than those driven constantly and well-cared for. "A lump of metal". last I checked there were many different metals, lots of rubber that dries out, gaskets that dry out, electronics, plastics, etc.
What he ^ said. I worked on US Air Force jets (OV-10, F-117, F-16) for 22 years, and the longer they sat the worse they got. If one was down for a week, it'd come back code 3 (hard-broke) first flight. It (almost) never failed to happen.

CClifton (03-09-2017)
Old 09-15-2015, 03:59 PM

The OP is concerned about the engine, not the leather, wood or cloth etc. of the entire car. There was also no mention of storage or usage conditions.

I'd sooner have an engine from a car that was garaged year round except for sunny summer day outings than one from a car that was shuffled around a driveway or sat idling 'to keep it in good shape' like many owners do.

Quick Reply: Insurance-Engine swap 2009XK for 2007XJL ??