X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Audio Questions - Any ideas????

Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Audio Questions - Any ideas????

My 03 X-Type has the Navigation system but the standard 4 speaker system.

1.) Would there still be a factory amplifier in the vehicle separate from the headunit??? I replaced all 4 speakers and am looking to connect them to a 4 channel amp for some more power. However, I tried to run new wire through the door jams, but the factory grommet has plugs on each side making it too difficult to get wire through for the speakers. I was going to grab all 4 sets of speaker wires behind the radio depending on if there is a factory amp.

2.) Anybody ever added 6.5" woofers to the rear deck??? I bought some Kicker 6.5" woofers, since my car didn't come equipped but still has the holes for them. If someone has added these, any info on how you built or bought enclosures for the bottom part of the subs? I'm running through ideas so any help is appreciated.

Thanks again Jag Forums!!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some quick answers to both of you issues.

1- I just spliced into the factory wiring. I am running Focal's, and i had no depreciable sound from the mids using the factory wiring through the door jams VS running the speaker wire direct. Now i know everyone says this should not be done.... but under certain situation, u may have no choice but the worse route. I wanted to keep the car as OEM looking as possible, so drilling the door jams and running the wires was not an option.

2- I got a factory sub woofer enclosure the i reinforced with fiberglass and spray in foam. I have only used it temporarily as i enjoy my 12's way better. I was running 2 6" sub woofers from elemental design. It wasn't a bad sound just didn't seem to hit the lows on a drum, or bass guitar really well.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 AM

I am most likely going to try using the wire behind the radio and see how it sounds. Surprisingly the factory wiring that is used is not that bad from what I can see.

Where did you go to find a factory sub enclosure? I tried contacting the dealership but they said the subs came connected in those. I jus need the enclosure to re-mount these Kicker 6.5" shallow mount woofers in them. They will be plenty loud enough for me considering they rate at 150w RMS each. Do you have any pictures?

Thanks for your reply, very interesting.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you think of contacting some of the Junk Yards on line? You would be surprised of some of the things you can get, and a lot cheaper than getting them from the factory. Just a thought.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM

I actually didn't think of that until my search just a little bit ago. I decided to check ebay again and found a junk yard selling an alternator for an X-Type. I'm going to try calling them this afternoon and see if they have either of the 2 parts.

Is ebay the best place to find these junk yards? I know some local junk yards here in Metro Detroit, but most don't advertise online.

Thanks again! I am convinced now this may be the best route.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $50 for the complete enclosure (factory subs and all)..... i will take some pics tonight and post them.

Wattage is only going to be a measurement of how loud it can go before burning up, it does not dictate the sound quality up to that point. like i said the 6.5" ED were nice just didn't have enough punch in the lower end. I rarely play my music loud but when i do i want clear lows not distortion.

Also the 6.5" Elemental design subs i got are rated for IB (infinite baffle/free air) use. You could just buy a pair of those ($40/each not a bad deal just to try) and just mount them to the rear deck.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:15 PM

where did you say you found that factory enclosure? I am convince that is what I'd rather do then build one. I have 2 kicker 6.5" Shallow mount woofers already. I tried calling a couple import parts yards that had x-types, none had the sub enclosure though. I guess i'll have to keep trying tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:27 PM

I have had basic audio..and assumed no amp.but when i was installing my new audio i found the ten awg running to the trunk...then the amp on the left side just in front of wheel well.I'm not sure if you have the 6.5's im thinking but..kicker makes a 6'5 inch free air marine subs that fit's great in the back..on top of that I to have focal fronts..and running 400rms to a 12inch 1000rms in the trunk,my box is ported to 37HrZ though which makes a huge diff....what else are you running.?

Old 03-12-2010, 02:08 PM

I am just going for factory sound, with a premium kick to it. I had a Kicker L7 in the trunk but didn't really want that type of sound. I'm working on putting a 4 channel amp in it, have everything wired up just about but the power connections. But I have 6.5" Kickers woofers, CVT model (cant remember the number), but they are not free-air.

I already replaced all 4 door speakers and added the 2 woofers to the rear deck. Jus working on the wiring now. I have a feeling there may be a factory amp in there so I need to find it if there is.

Where at was your factory amp?