Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Sport misfire cylinder 5

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 Sport misfire cylinder 5

Hello guys new to Jaguar and the Forum.

I have just bought a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0 V6 Sport (Built Month 10/01) with 85,000 miles. Engine light came on for a cylinder 5 misfire. Also Cruise not available came on in the information center while driving. I looked on the web and found that cylinder 5 is the front middle cylinder. Found oil in the spark plug area and all the spark plugs were original and had exhaust blow back. So far I have replaced with Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets, Spark Plugs to NGK Iridium TR55IX, Fel-Pro Upper Intake Manifold Gaskets. Also Switched (not replaced) the number 4 and 5 Ignition Coils and inspected wires and Coil plugs. Car runs better then it did before still has a slight miss though. I get a cylinder 5 missfire code still. But engine light is blinking and then goes off then blinks some more after a little bit. Im lost as to what it could be. Maybe the diagram for firing order is wrong? Or maybe my ECU is going out on me. And can I do a direct swap from a junkyard car if so? Any help or advice would be appreciated. thank you

Old 11-04-2014, 04:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

bhood, first off, welcome to the Forums. Lots of good information here that will be very useful to you. But, we ask a small favor of you. We pride ourselves in being a better car group. As part of this, we like to get to know one another. So, please stop by the "New Member" section and tell us a little bit about yourself. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for your problem. First off, you are looking at the wrong cylinder. The #5 cylinder is the one on the back side of the engine nearest the brake booster. So, to access it, you will need to remove the intake. Then I would recommend switching coil packs between the #5 cylinder and the #2 cylinder (front, left most plug, right behind the passenger headlight). See if the problem moves with the coil. If so, you have a bad coil. You can replace this coil without having to remove anything on the engine.

I would also recommend disconnecting the plug to #5 cylinder and looking at the contacts to make sure that they are nice and silvery in color, not a dull gray and/or rusty. If they are gray/rusty, then you will need to take a scribe or other tool to scratch the surface to get it back to a nice silvery color.

The final thing I would do is to look at the wiring for #5 cylinder and see if the wiring is in good condition and then to roll the wiring over say a pencil. If the wiring makes a funny bend, that would indicate that you have a broken wire and what you are seeing is the wire making and breaking connection.

Lets see what you have at this point before we start looking at having to replace an ECU.

The following users liked this post:
bhood42 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Just like Thermo said, #5 is the back left cylinder (next to power brake booster on US models). It's funny I got the same code today (Cylinder E Misfire) It took me about an hour to get the intake off and swap the #5 coil pack out. I took one off the front (cylinder #2) the only one you can get at without removing the airbox and swapped it with cylinder 5. Once it was all buttoned back up and started the misfire moved to cylinder B (#2) proving that the coil pack was bad. Cost me $50 for a new coil and now it's purring like a kitten once again.

Good luck

bhood42 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-04-2014, 07:02 PM

Thank you Thermo for your quick response. I was afraid you might say I had the firing order wrong on this car. I found two different diagrams and was hoping for the easier solution of the two. Tomorrow morning I will taking the Upper Plenum back off and taking your advice on switching the number 5 and 2 coils. Hopefully this fixes the issue or at least narrows down my solution process. I should have just replaced all the coils in the first place.

I was also wondering if you might know what OHM the fuel injectors should be operating at? I might as well check them while I am in there.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

bhood, i would need to grab my one spare fuel injector and see what it reads. But, I would anticipate it reading in the neighborhood of around 300 ohms. Granted, if a fuel injector is going to have issues, you are either going to have it fail completely (ie, either a dead short or a very obvious open) or the internals are going to gum up which a resistance check isn't going to tell you much.

bhood42 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Thank You Thermo for your help. I have fixed the misfire issue this morning. It was a frayed wire on Cylinder 5 coilpack. Smelled like rotten eggs for a few minutes. I didnt like that too much. (Hope the cat is ok) I still switched coils to be positive and now it runs nice and smooth again.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran member

bhood, not a problem. That is why we are here. Stick around and spread what you know about the car. That is how we find out a lot about this car as we all have some little tidbit of info that someone else may not know.

bhood42 (11-05-2014)