Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 X type 3.0 AWD suddenly overheated

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 X type 3.0 AWD suddenly overheated

Hello All,

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'm wondering what may have caused the problem.

My 2002 X Type 3.0 AWD with just over 200,000 miles recently overheated. I purchased the car a few months ago (my first jag) and had not had any issues with temperature until now. Last Thursday I took a very short drive (less than 2 miles) when suddenly the AC stopped blowing cold and the high temp warning came on. I got back home and opened the bonnet. The water in the expansion tank reservoir was boiling. After letting it cool some I tried to put some water in the expansion tank and it immediately leaked out, seemingly from the bottom of the expansion tank or possibly from the radiator hose connection.

Two days later, I checked it again and added water with the engine off. This time no water leaked out. I started the car and let it idle for some time. Water began to leak from the connection of the coolant bleed hose pipe to expansion tank (back right when looking from front of car). I disconnected the hoses and found both nipples for the upper and lower hose connections were broken and there appears to be a crack in the body of the expansion tank as well. I also found that the connection nipple that connect the two pieces of the coolant bleed hose had also failed. I've ordered the parts and will hopefully install them this week, although I'm having difficulty finding the connection nipple to order..

For all these connections to fail at once, is it likely that they are the result of a failed thermostat or water pump? I looked underneath and don't see any rust or discoloration on the studs that connect the thermostat housing.

Thanks again for advice and sorry for the long post. Just wanted to add as much info as possible to help diagnose.

Last edited by John J.J. West; 05-08-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

It is not unusual for the expansion tank to fail. The plastic gets fatigued through the years and can split. Also, that upper nipple you were talking about is also been know to fail, especially if the end of the clamp is facing up. When closing the hood it can get caught. Not sure if the car overheated and exacerbated the failure of the tank or the leaking tank is the reason it overheated. Either way, replace the tank, fill it back up and see what you have. Also, maybe check the water pump. Seems like they generally last about 100K miles before they fail.

Hope this is the only issue you have and are back on the road soon. Let us know how it all turns out.

The following users liked this post:
John J.J. West (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

As Alfadude says , pretty common. Make sure you do not just use Water but the correct concentration of Coolant and water.

Roger

Old 05-08-2017, 03:19 PM

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't just install a new hose that is long enough to to cover the length of the 2 separate hose pieces that are joined by the broken connector piece that I cannot find for sale anywhere?

Old 05-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

You have not said which hose you ar referring to.

Roger

Last edited by Rchiv; 05-08-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:35 PM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Honestly, I would replace my thermostat too as long as it is easy to get too. Typically, they are cheap and a 20 minute fix that could potentially prevent the older motor from going. That being said I haven't done mine in my X-Type yet, but others I have done have been simple.

I am not exactly sure which hose you are referring too but before you make it one piece, which sounds like it may be the option for you, make sure there isn't anything for pressure release valves on it or something like that. Also, finding an X-Type at your local scrap yard can pay dividends in access to those hard to find parts.

Old 05-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by John J.J. West
Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't just install a new hose that is long enough to to cover the length of the 2 separate hose pieces that are joined by the broken connector piece that I cannot find for sale anywhere?
Yes you could use one piece of hose. Just clip a piece from old hose and take it to an auto parts store to match up the i.d. Measure length you'll need, maybe add a smidge. Get new clamps if you need them. For your problem though you're going to need a new expansion tank. Rock Auto has 'em, as do others.

Last edited by swingwing; 05-08-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added sentences.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:29 PM

Sorry about that...wasn't trying to be obtuse. The hose I was referring to is the 2 parts of the coolant bleed hose. I went ahead and got some extra hose from the auto parts store to make it one piece. The connector piece that failed was not connected to anything else and did not appear to have any kind of pressure valve, just a plastic tube to connect the 2 pieces of hose.

I have the new expansion tank installed and the new hose. Everything is connected and the expansion tank has pre-dilluted coolant/antifreeze in it. Is there anything else I need to do before I start the car again to check for leaks?

Humbly in your debt,

Old 05-08-2017, 08:40 PM

Well, I managed to get everything in and no leaks. Unfortunately, even though the car did fine sitting in the driveway idling with the air on, as soon as I took it out on the road, it started to overheat. Leads me back to my earlier idea that the thermostat or water pump or both went bad causing the initial temp spike which caused the crack in the expansion tank. So, looks like it's back to the drawing board and another parts order for me. I'll keep you posted.

BTW, I intially tried to pull the return hose off the radiator (one of the two piece sections I was referring to before) with the battery still in place because I didn't want to have to reset everything. However, I eventually broke down. Let me suggest to anyone planning to do the same repair that it is immensely easier with the battery removed!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Not trying to be cute, but you did check belts were in place? If so, betting on thermostat.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 PM

No, I appreciate all questions and suggestions. Belts appear to be in tact. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the thermostat and the water pump just to try to get it back on the road a little sooner.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:27 AM

OK, so I got busy and forgot to post the results. It was the thermostat after all. When I removed the old one, it literally fell to pieces. The plastic tabs had both snapped off. I decided to go ahead and replace the water pump too, since I didn't know how old it was and they are only about $30. I got everything back together and was tightening the bolt on the tension pulley, but no mater how much I tightened it, the tension on the pulley did not change. Then, the unthinkable happened. The bolt broke off, in the engine block! I managed to just get a hold of the end that was still sticking out 1 or 2 millimeters with a pair of vice grip pliers. I only had room to turn it about 1/4 turn, but eventually I got it out. After a quick trip to home depot for a new machine bolt, everything went back together and she is back on the road!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Old 08-03-2017, 07:51 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am running into a similar issue on my '04 - a cracked expansion tank. I was able to patch one crack for a temp fix but the second is the nipple that sticks out of the side of the expansion tank. I'm currently looking for any writeups or instructions on how to do this. I'm assuming it's a simple case of ordering the tank and replacement coolant (if needed), partially draining the system, R&R the expansion tank and refill and go? I know how tricky these cats can be and I'm short on funds so other than buying OEM replacement parts I'll be doing everything myself.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:16 AM

I would start calling you pill it's and see if you can find one. Knowing where a local X-Type is scrapped is a fantastic resource to have.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts
chknhwk (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 03:14 PM

Dell, thanks for posting the worst how-to video ever. LOL Just kidding! I'm glad you did and I saw because now I can see there is a hose coming out of the bottom of the reservoir which tells me I will have to drain the tank completely which means I'll need to find a place to work on the car. (My condo complex frowns heavily upon car repairs in their lot and I don't want to risk a fine.)
Funnily enough I tried the same patch repair kit as that guy did with the same luck:

My repair also lasted about a week before the epoxy started peeling away from the tank. I was informed there were two types of plastic this kit would not adhere to and I even said with my luck my tank would be one of these two, LOL. However there is another kit that is a two part epoxy that may work, I'm tempted to try that one next before ordering a replacement tank.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:35 PM

I don't know what you're spending on patches but $30 to have it fixed and done seems worth while.
Coolant Recovery Reservoir Expansion Tank W/ Cap fits Jaguar X-Type 02-07 | eBay

Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lemons Racer
I don't know what you're spending on patches but $30 to have it fixed and done seems worth while.
Coolant Recovery Reservoir Expansion Tank W/ Cap fits Jaguar X-Type 02-07 eBay
Nice! I just added one to my watchlist today that I'm probably ordering next Thursday when I get paid - I thought that was the one you were linking to but that's even cheaper. ;-) Thanks!

Old 08-25-2017, 08:35 AM

See? This is why I don't like buying cheap crap off eBay. My expansion tank came more broken than the one I currently have on my car.
Next paycheck I'm ordering the one from Jagbits unless I find one in better shape at a you-pull-it.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry to hear that, but this looks like more a case of careless packaging than because it was from E-Bay. Hope the next one is perfect.