X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 x-type lighting?

Old 12-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 x-type lighting?

I have been trying to find a detailed list of all the lighting/bulbs along with their specific wattage for our vehicles. I have yet to find a list via google... Anyone know it? It looks like the low beams are h1, high beams are h1, fogs are h1, etc... I can not find any wattage for anything though... Anyone try LEDs for the low, high, and fogs? Thanks!

Old 12-06-2014, 08:15 PM
Old 12-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Gentleman, I am going off of moer experience than factual numbers here, so, some of my numbers may be slightly off. But, these numbers are going to be pretty close to what the car is outfitted with.

Low/dip beams: Halogen 55W, HID 35W (yes, 35W)
High/main beams: Halogen 55W
Turn signals: 21W
Running lights: 5W (each bulb)
Stop lights: 21W
Fog lights: 55W

That should cover most of the exterior lighting. When you get inside the car, things can get a little confusing as there are too many bulbs to start listing them here and some of the bulbs are LED, so, wattage is not the controlling factor for how bright the bulb is, it is more a rating called MCD.

Let me know what you are thinking and I can most likely help you out with your project and give you some good dos and don'ts.

The following users liked this post:
deviousgentleman (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

While I am not familiar with the HID kit that you referenced, this is my experience with the HID kits that I have installed (done quite a few) and taking the feedback from the members here, the slim ballasts work good for about a year (sometimes more, sometimes less) and then they start giving you lots of head aches. Look up a company called "Maxlux". They do a lot of OEM lighting in vehicles and while their ballast is "huge" when you compare it to the slim ballasts, it isn't all that big. The Maxlux systems will probably outlast your car if they are properly installed.

This leads to another question if you are looking at HIDs: What temperature bulb are you looking to run? Why are you picking that color? Are you going after maximum light or for a specific look? I have some training on lighting (I do security work for a nuclear power plant) and I can tell you more about HIDs than you probably want to know. You tell me what you are after and I can tell you the best temperature bulb to go after.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Was just going to suggest asking Thermo

Has your car got HID lights? Maybe the wording but would check as you may need a standard conversion kit. This side of the pond D2S bulbs can cost more than complete standard HID Kits

IMO LED are not bright enough for a good enough distance for driving, though some have LED Foglights.

Mine has 55W 5000K HID in both the dipped and main beam, with fast start ballasts in the main beams to allow for quick flashes

I also have 50W sidelights to match the HID colour output

Old 12-06-2014, 09:12 PM

I am looking for visibility. Looks come second to functionality. I want it to be legal as well. I do not need tickets, ha ha... I have standard halogen now... Thanks!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 PM

Looked at maxlux, and the kit is extremely reasonably priced... My only concern is I see a 50w, but most bulbs for replacement I see are 55w... Won't that mess up the harness if I put a 55w bulb with a 50w kit?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:28 PM

If I ordered 3 of these would it be enough to do my low beams, high beams, and fog? Or would I need anything else? http://www.maxluxusa.net/Maxlux-EXtr...HIDKH1-50W.htm

Old 12-06-2014, 11:54 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

See if you can get fast start ballasts for the main beam at least, so that they will light quickly enough for " I am here " type flashing use

" This kind ballast is quick start kind, just need take 0.1 Second to get 80% bright, Second to get full bright,normal hid kit need take about 3-8 Seconds "

55w hid fast start ballast | eBay

Mine are almost certainly these but bought from ebay UK

55W Fast Bright Quick Start AC Top Quality Digital Slim Ballast Xenon HID Kit | eBay

You may need to adapt the fog lights for H1 HID bulbs and 55W may be too much but I defer to Thermo again, and he may not be a fan of slim ballasts

Old 12-07-2014, 03:25 AM

I am looking at the XENTEC H1 6000K HID Conversion. Went to replace a low beam (on the passenger side... SNARL!) and found the plug melted to the bulb. This is a 35W application. I did not want to install a second relay to the battery, which most of the higher quality conversion kits at 55W.

So I am most interested in keeping heat away. Southern California is well lit, and when I'm cruising in the hills, I can use the highs or the fog lamps.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by santer
See if you can get fast start ballasts for the main beam at least, so that they will light quickly enough for " I am here " type flashing use

" This kind ballast is quick start kind, just need take 0.1 Second to get 80% bright, Second to get full bright,normal hid kit need take about 3-8 Seconds "

55w hid fast start ballast | eBay

Mine are almost certainly these but bought from ebay UK

55W Fast Bright Quick Start AC Top Quality Digital Slim Ballast Xenon HID Kit | eBay

You may need to adapt the fog lights for H1 HID bulbs and 55W may be too much but I defer to Thermo again, and he may not be a fan of slim ballasts
I can wait a few seconds for them to reach full brightness. It will probably take me at least that to make it to the road, ha ha. I am mainly concerned with being able to see when up north. There are no lights up there, and a mega load of deer everywhere...

Old 12-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Any ideas based on the info I gave you, and the questions I asked Thermo? Thanks!

Old 12-10-2014, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

Devious, those will be fine for your high beams (should you go that route). But, for your low beams, you are going to be blinding drivers left and right with those. Please note, no where on the site do they mention that they are "DOT Approved". Granted, looking over the site again, they are not even 55W HID bulbs. They are only 35W bulbs being represented as 55W bulbs. I would pass on that seller honestly. Too much there of them trying to pass them off as something that they are not.

You would be better off with something like: Slim Xeno HID Kit H1 H3 H4 H7 H8 H11 H9 H10 H13 9004 9005 9006 9007 D2S R 6000K | eBay

Granted, spend a few dollars more than what you listed and get something that will last for a lot longer like: Maxlux 35W AC HID Conversion Kit | eBay

The second kit I list is DOT approved, so, if you get any grief, you can tell the cop where to shove it. Not a lot of kits get that rating and it can make your life easier in the future should things start getting difficult. Granted, I am sure if you do some looking around on like e-bay (do a search on "maxlux hid kit") and you may be able to find the same kit for even less.

deviousgentleman (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Devious, those will be fine for your high beams (should you go that route). But, for your low beams, you are going to be blinding drivers left and right with those. Please note, no where on the site do they mention that they are "DOT Approved". Granted, looking over the site again, they are not even 55W HID bulbs. They are only 35W bulbs being represented as 55W bulbs. I would pass on that seller honestly. Too much there of them trying to pass them off as something that they are not.

You would be better off with something like: Slim Xeno HID Kit H1 H3 H4 H7 H8 H11 H9 H10 H13 9004 9005 9006 9007 D2S R 6000K | eBay

Granted, spend a few dollars more than what you listed and get something that will last for a lot longer like: Maxlux 35W AC HID Conversion Kit | eBay

The second kit I list is DOT approved, so, if you get any grief, you can tell the cop where to shove it. Not a lot of kits get that rating and it can make your life easier in the future should things start getting difficult. Granted, I am sure if you do some looking around on like e-bay (do a search on "maxlux hid kit") and you may be able to find the same kit for even less.
So getting these Maxlux EXtreme 50W AC HID Conversion Kit H1 would not be a good idea...

These Maxlux HID Conversion Kit H1 are what you suggest for all three (low, high, and fog?) Sorry this may seem repetitive, but just wanted to be sure... Thanks again for all your knowledge

Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

devious, how much adding of wiring to the car are you willing to do? If you go with the 50W maxlux setup for your high beams (the only place I would recommend doing this for safety reasons), you would need to add a new relay harness to handle the power draw of the high beams on start up. Each ballast would be pulling about 25 amps (50 amp draw total) which is more than what the factory wiring can safely handle. Then there is also the light output of the 50W units. Keep in mind that your factory halogens output around 1500 lumen. The 50W HIDs output around 4200 lumen. Big difference in the amount of light being thrown in front of the car. I don't know about you, but I would be a little pissed off if someone drove towards me with that much light being thrown out.

As for the bulbs to install into the car. For the low and high beams, yes, the H1 bulb style is going to be what you are after to make for an easy install. For the fog lights, you want to find an HID bulb with the H11 base to it. This will make installing the fogs very simple and something that you can do in about a half hour vice having to modify bulb bases and siliconing in the HID bulb, and .......

deviousgentleman (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Thermo
devious, how much adding of wiring to the car are you willing to do? If you go with the 50W maxlux setup for your high beams (the only place I would recommend doing this for safety reasons), you would need to add a new relay harness to handle the power draw of the high beams on start up. Each ballast would be pulling about 25 amps (50 amp draw total) which is more than what the factory wiring can safely handle. Then there is also the light output of the 50W units. Keep in mind that your factory halogens output around 1500 lumen. The 50W HIDs output around 4200 lumen. Big difference in the amount of light being thrown in front of the car. I don't know about you, but I would be a little pissed off if someone drove towards me with that much light being thrown out.

As for the bulbs to install into the car. For the low and high beams, yes, the H1 bulb style is going to be what you are after to make for an easy install. For the fog lights, you want to find an HID bulb with the H11 base to it. This will make installing the fogs very simple and something that you can do in about a half hour vice having to modify bulb bases and siliconing in the HID bulb, and .......
Thanks! I will go with the 35w, as I have no idea what I am doing.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM

You wouldn't happen to have a phone number for Maxlux USA would you? I googed it with no answer... Also, since I am asking all four headlights take the h1 and fogs take the h11 right? Are there any other bulbs in there aka is there a separate bulb for the high beams?

Old 02-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

devious, look on Amazon. They should have the Maxlux stuff there.

Or, check out: Maxlux 35W AC HID Conversion Kit | eBay. This is an e-bay seller, but he will have what you are after. Not a bad price either for the whole kit.

Yes, the low beams and the high beams use the same bulb style.

deviousgentleman (02-08-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM

I was asking if I ordered two sets aka 4 bulbs would that be enough to do all 4 headlights? Also, if you order direct from their website it's less expensive

Old 02-05-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

Devious, yes, 2 sets of the H1 bulbs will be enough to do both your high and low beams. I would say to go to the website (Maxlux USA) and order the bulbs through there. Just make sure to get two sets of H1 bulbs and 1 set of H11 bulbs in the color(s) that you like.

deviousgentleman (02-08-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2002 x-type lighting?