X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Jaguar X-type Fault Code P1647

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Jaguar X-type Fault Code P1647

Hello,

Can anybody let me know what P1647 and P1000 is? And how to correct it? My check enginle light is on and I need to pass the state inspection.

Thank You
Chrys

Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrys
Hello,

Can anybody let me know what P1647 and P1000 is? And how to correct it? My check enginle light is on and I need to pass the state inspection.

Thank You
Chrys
Looks like Bank 2 sensor 1 fault. That would be the sensor directly under the air filter box. You have to remove the air filter box completely to see the top of it. Below is the info for the code. P1000 is only a code stored when all the engine monitors are not set. If they were set you would see a P1111 code.

P1647 EMS
OBD II
ECM HO2 Sensor control
malfunction –
bank 2 upstream (2/1)

The following 3 users liked this post by BlackX300VDP:
Cadillac (01-15-2012), Chrys (02-19-2012), jackpea (05-26-2013)
Old 01-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Default code error P1647 2003 x-type

Thanks Mark,
I order the part online is made by Bosch Part # W0133-1895197 for $ 126..is this fair price? I hope is the correct part.
Is called"Air Fuel Ratio Sensor" may look very similar to the Oxygen Sensor. That may explain also when the car is cold the engine runs erratic like is running on 3 cyl. I let everyone know results after installation...
Thanks Again!!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 AM

Sounds a little high. Rockauto has on listed for half (for OEM type Denso) but i dunno what shipping would be. Anyway, make sure you get the correct one by checking what color connector it has. One is grey and one is black. Upstream vs downstream. The connectors sit at the bottom of the battery tray at the front and are next to each other on a bracket. Follow the wire over to the sensor and you'll see which color you need.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:00 PM
Default 2003 Jaguar X-type Fault Code P1647 Fixed!! But...

Hello, I just replace the o2 sensor and Fault code P1647 is fixed! But now I still have Check Engine light on and 2 new fault codes appear.

Fault Code: P0171 and P0174

Please advise what is this new codes mean and how to fix...
Thanks,
Chrys

Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Do a search on the forum for those codes. There is a lot of info on them.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM

I followed your recommendations and check for vacuum leaks. I found the O rings leaking and replace them.
(By the way the bottom one is hard remove the housing ...Someone recommend cutting the old ring and try to replace the new with out remove the housing. Don't do it! It will brake! What can you do is.. Use a screwdriver when sensor almost out and gentle force up and it will come out)

But still have Fault Codes: P0171 and P0174
Can it be the mass air sensors? How can know? Keep changing is expensive

Thanks again!!

Old 01-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chrys
I followed your recommendations and check for vacuum leaks. I found the O rings leaking and replace them.
(By the way the bottom one is hard remove the housing ...Someone recommend cutting the old ring and try to replace the new with out remove the housing. Don't do it! It will brake! What can you do is.. Use a screwdriver when sensor almost out and gentle force up and it will come out)

But still have Fault Codes: P0171 and P0174
Can it be the mass air sensors? How can know? Keep changing is expensive

Thanks again!!
The big o-rings are usually the first suspect. Once replaced, check the vacuum line to the brake booster. There is a check valve in that hose that often corrodes (don't know how or why, just does) that causes a vacuum leak. Replace it. Part 3 of the setup is the pcv hose. The thick hose going from the front cam cover to the intake. If yours has ribs on it then it should be okay. If it is a smooth hose then replace it. Part 4, which few people get this far, is two small o-rings in the upper intake. One is where the brake booster hose goes in and the other is where the purge valve hose goes in. There is a plastic chinese fingers clip on top then an o-ring under that down in the bore. Replace them. These are the major areas. I've heard people having intake gaskets leaking with high mileage units. Mass Air sensors on those cars rarely go bad until high mileage, like really high mileage. Make sure codes get cleared after every repair. You're getting there. If those cars have not been maintained properly, they can be a bear getting back to good shape.

The following users liked this post:
ugotmale (06-12-2014)
Old 02-18-2012, 01:40 PM

Hello there Mark, I've replased so Far:
Big o-rings, pvc hose, upper intake gaskets, Mass Air sensor, two small o-rings in the upper intake, Plugs, air filter.
And still getting: Fault Codes: P0171 and P0174
I have photos from my scan reader that I would like to upload..but I don't know how to..I think if someone can read the test results it may help others with same problems.
Thanks again for your help!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Is there any white crusty stuff on the brake booster pipe from the intake. I read back in the thread but didn't see if you replaced that. Those somehow corrode and leak vacuum and can cause a hard brake pedal. Post the pics if you can. Also, if you're not getting a good clear of the codes then they will pop back up. The adaptions of the engine are expecting to see a range for the air fuel ratio due to the codes. Resetting them may not always clear them out or the adaptions. We've had problems here with fuel induction services on the 5.0 engines that are popping codes. We clear the codes and even the adaptions. That usually keeps it from coming on once the customer has the vehicle.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Hi Mark,
The is no “While crusty stuff” on the brake booster. I don’t think is a vacuum leak at this point..
Sounds to me like a misfire like gas or electric problem…could be the coils?
I notice when changed the plugs few coil tubes attached to the plugs have a nice fit and few are loose.
When driving, if step on gas pedal to down shift. The engine misfires. …but not when car is in Park.
Mark I don’t know what is “adaptions” or how to clear them..Can you please explain further?
Please read my other thread where I heve post...
P0171 & P0174 scan tool results photos

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...1-p0174-66776/

Thanks again for your help!!

Last edited by Chrys; 02-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 PM

I understand what you mean when you say you don't think it is a vacuum leak at this point. I went through the same thing a number of years ago on a 04 XJR. This car kept putting up those codes. Ultimately what happened was there was a crankcase vacuum leak. The driver side cam cover had a hole poked in it from the clamp that holds the power steering hose to the reservoir. Point of the story is that we replaced a whole lot of stuff on that car and finally found the cam cover.
What we have with your car is gonna eventually be a vacuum leak, in my opinion. What I meant about the brake booster is the check valve on the pipe that goes from the intake to the booster. It corrodes and a white crusty stuff shows up.
As far as the pics. The fuel trim is what is telling you that it thinks it is running lean. It wants to add a large amount of fuel hence the +19%. It is making this decision based on what the o2 sensors are telling it. Since you have them working again, it is most likely accurate.
One way we check for vacuum leaks in the shop is to smoke test the intake. Wherever the smoke is coming from, there's your leak.
One idea I had was to check the big vacuum nipple that goes onto the back of the intake. I've heard of the hard plastic line that goes from that, into the loom, then to the fuel pressure regulator, breaking inside the loom. You may not hear the vacuum leak since it may be in the loom. See if you can find it and check it.
Give these ideas some thought and lemme know what you think/find

Old 02-23-2012, 01:36 PM

Hi Mark, ok ..i had smoke test done today (paid $100) for it. They said there is no leak! So ..now what?
One think i have not change is the coils. Can that be the problem?
And.. where is the crankcase?
Thank u, Chrys

Old 03-21-2014, 05:47 AM

Hey can anyone help me the meaning of P1647 on a jag x type 2002 2.5cc?

Old 03-21-2014, 07:01 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Welcome to the forum levi-mumba,

P1647 : ECM HO2 Sensor control malfunction – bank 2 upstream (2/1)

Possible Causes:
1. HO2 Sensor 2/1 heater failure.
2. HO2 Sensor 2/1 sensing circuit: short circuit to ground, short circuit to high voltage, open circuit.
3. ECM Failure.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see.

In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 03-21-2014, 07:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome levi-mumba

newbie here too - I just did this repair this past weeked. I did a short writeup on it. I got the o2 sensor from rockauto - denso part. You will also need an o2 socket. Its a little bit of a pain but do-able. good luck

john

Old 03-24-2014, 02:33 AM

hey can anyone help, when changing the oxygen sensor for jaguar x type 2002 2.5cc apart from buying the new oxygen sensor is there any other plug(s) to purchase for connections?

Old 01-08-2021, 02:20 PM
Default 2003 X type P1647 after rad change

I recently had the radiator on my 2003 Jaguar replaced. Its the 2.5 model with 55,000 miles but had an obvious leak equating to a gallon to half gallon refill every other week. But on to business at hand . After the replacement check engine light presented itself with up to 5 code. Codes are as followed.
P1000
P1647
P1582
B1262
and B1263. I have obviously research some all of the codes present and I have some feel for their definitions. But I am confused as to why they would all a sudden appear after this appear/replacement. What I would like to know is, does one code dominate the the other and I should start there? Or should I randomly attack these codes in no specific order?

Old 01-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Tj66 first thing I would check is to see if the o2 sensors are plugged back up. The gray and black connectors right below the battery box. Likely one of them wasn’t plugged back up during the rad install.

Old 01-10-2021, 08:17 AM
Default Thanks

I will check the connection and update results. Also is it possible that connect got wet? I changed the rad however before that the coolant was everywhere around the battery box including electrical connections.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Jaguar X-type Fault Code P1647