X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type 2.5 upper intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 X-Type 2.5 upper intake

New here and had a quick question about my 2003 X-Type, 2.5.
Just changed my plugs and coils (while apart, 107K miles) and accidentally pulled the brass insert out. (I may have had the wrong bolt installed).
I will fix this today, but when I spilled my tray with the upper bolts in order, I lost one of the rubber seals. As this does not seem to seal anything, other than dirt getting down to the lower intake, can I replace this with something else? I could modify an old shock bushing to fit, but is this really critical to use?
Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Goldenstar38, it is not critical that you use the Jaguar part, but you will want to use something with the same sort of "crushability" as the factory part. I say this because you want to tighten all the bolts to roughly the same torque to ensure that the sealing o-rings are squeezed with even pressure. If you have something that causes the intake to sit even at a slight angle, you are going to have serious vacuum leaks.

Old 09-23-2017, 05:07 PM

Sounds good. I was going to cut down an old shock bushing for this, so guess I'm on the right track.
​​​​​​​Thanks again!

Old 09-24-2017, 04:38 PM

With regards to the brass bushing that came out of the lower intake manifold, I have read that JB Weld works well. Has anyone tried Gorilla Blue? It is suppose to work on many materials.
The bushing is a relatively snug fit in the manifold, and Gorilla glue also expands as it dries, possibly improving its holding power. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I can't get to a store and the few who live near me (i live on a boat) don't have JB Weld at home.
​​​​​​​Thanks for any input you can offer.