X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-type - rusted sills.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2003 X-type - rusted sills.

While I'm new here, I can probably assume most people here have heard about the horrible rocker sill rust that plagues the earlier x-types.

Sadly I only found out about this ever so common issue and how it affected my car a couple days after owning the vehicle.

I don't have issues on hand at the moment of the rust, but can get some if needed. Figured it wouldn't be needed because I know all x-types get this. Mine seems to have calmed down at the top corner and top part. However pretty much the full sides and bottom are pretty much all gone.

My question is, how often has it been where people take on the task of fixing it? if so how much has the usually costs in us dollars? I wouldn't feel comfortable just trying to unload it onto some other guy, nor do I think anyone would fall for it.

Winter is approaching for me and wouldn't want the salts on the roads or snow to make it any worse. All responses are appreciated greatly.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:44 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 10-26-2017, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

How much it costs depends on how badly it it rusted and what needs to be repaired or replaced. Best way to know for sure is to take it to a couple body shops and see what they tell you after inspecting it. Probably no matter how minor it still son't be too cheap.

Good luck, hope your situation isn't too bad.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

The outer sill is not structural, so it really only takes sheet metal. Replacement rockers are available, but pricey.

If you catch it soon enough, and the pillars aren't involved, it isn't such a big job. The biggest advantage is that the sill is hidden behind the sill cover, so the finish work is a lot easier!