Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 X-Type Steering Wheel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Nardoswiss
I changed the steering wheel. There is no need to use the old cruise module as everything works from the new one.

Cheers
Good to hear, what year is your car? At Jag-Finn they were worried that some cruise control functions might not work due to the buttons operating differently (rockers) or something.

I've finally found a granite leather / bird's eye maple veneer pre-facelift wheel, however, upgrading to a facelift wheel would make more sense and it would eliminate the aesthetic curling problem...

I've never seen the same colour combination in a facelift wheel available though :E

EDIT:
As was posted in the other thread, the facelift wheel hasn't got a cruise on/off button. How do you turn cruise control on? It's not turned on by default in my 2001.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 07-02-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag works!

And just so you all know... the airbag DEFINITELY worked. My girlfriend wrecked my X-Type last week The airbag did deploy properly. So, for anyone who says otherwise... they are wrong.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by p3x935
And just so you all know... the airbag DEFINITELY worked. My girlfriend wrecked my X-Type last week The airbag did deploy properly. So, for anyone who says otherwise... they are wrong.
Ouch, sorry to hear that, but it's truly fortunate that the airbag worked. Was she injured?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Ouch, sorry to hear that, but it's truly fortunate that the airbag worked. Was she injured?
Hopefully not. But if it were me, she would be an ex for destroying my X.

The following users liked this post:
anditover (10-22-2020)
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Good to hear, what year is your car? At Jag-Finn they were worried that some cruise control functions might not work due to the buttons operating differently (rockers) or something.

I've finally found a granite leather / bird's eye maple veneer pre-facelift wheel, however, upgrading to a facelift wheel would make more sense and it would eliminate the aesthetic curling problem...

I've never seen the same colour combination in a facelift wheel available though :E

EDIT:
As was posted in the other thread, the facelift wheel hasn't got a cruise on/off button. How do you turn cruise control on? It's not turned on by default in my 2001.
2004. It's a facelift model but it had an old fashion steering wheel on it. I did not have cruise "on/off" buttons. You turn on the cruise by the + speed button. So, it worked just perfect for me. + Also I re-wrapped the steering wheel in new leather myself last weekend. Now it's a completely new one!

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 09-11-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FunkyRocemz
Hopefully not. But if it were me, she would be an ex for destroying my X.
Really unfortunate. I've come to notice that girlfriends misbehave towards exes, hopefully it's just exes and not X's.

2004. It's a facelift model but it had an old fashion steering wheel on it. I did not have cruise "on/off" buttons. You turn on the cruise by the + speed button. So, it worked just perfect for me. + Also I re-wrapped the steering wheel in new leather myself last weekend. Now it's completely brand new one!
Hrrmmm, does sound good. I guess I'll get the pre-facelift wheel since it's the first granite/maple one I've seen in like forever (and affordable), and keep a lookout for a similar facelift leather/wood combination in case one becomes available. I've never seen one in the same trim combination, though. You would'nt happen to know the part numbers for the facelift wheels?

Btw, I think there was some change in the steering wheel buttons somewhere in 2004 even with the old steering wheel, because I was looking at a Parrot MKi9000 + Unika, and they said that pre-2004 X-Types are not supported because of differences in the bus.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 AM

Hrrmmm, does sound good. I guess I'll get the pre-facelift wheel since it's the first granite/maple one I've seen in like forever (and affordable), and keep a lookout for a similar facelift leather/wood combination in case one becomes available. I've never seen one in the same trim combination, though. You would'nt happen to know the part numbers for the facelift wheels?

Btw, I think there was some change in the steering wheel buttons somewhere in 2004 even with the old steering wheel, because I was looking at a Parrot MKi9000 + Unika, and they said that pre-2004 X-Types are not supported because of differences in the bus.
Hey!

Maybe these #'s help you (there were plenty of different wheels available for the X-type. Just let me know the exact one you're looking for and I'll give you the part #).

I've seen a couple of leather/wood facelift wheels on ebay. Give it a shot.

The old one (which actually looks absolutely fine in real life)

The new re-wrapped facelift one.

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 07-04-2012 at 12:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nardoswiss:
Aonsaithya (07-04-2012), Stuart Beattie (04-14-2014)
Old 07-04-2012, 03:11 AM
Veteran Member

Hey!

Maybe these #'s help you (there were plenty of different wheels available for the X-type. Just let me know the exact one you're looking for and I'll give you the part #).

I've seen a couple of leather/wood facelift wheels on ebay. Give it a shot.

The old one (which actually looks absolutely fine in real life)

The new re-wrapped facelift one.
Ooh, million thanks! I'd never heard of EPC, just installed it. Very handy.

Unfortunately the facelift wheel is not available in dove or granite. If I went with either mocha or warm charcoal, I'd have to also change a lot of other stuff like the column and the facia since the top of it is granite.

Stuart Beattie (04-14-2014)
Old 07-04-2012, 03:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default late update steering wheel

now that I know late model will fit my 2003 x-type I a was looking in ebay and amazon for a complete steering wheel, late model but can not find one. Please help me

Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What did you use to rewrap it? Did you have a kit or just start from scratch with flat leather. I would like to try this on mine.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by kccode1
What did you use to rewrap it? Did you have a kit or just start from scratch with flat leather. I would like to try this on mine.
No kits. Found a piece of nice leather (should be ~ 2mm (4oz) thick) and did everything else myself Did not have a sewing machine, so had to go to an alteration shop to sew the pieces together and make stitches. + You need extra heavy nylon/polyester thread (#138+) for that project. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonded-Nylon...item3cb0b29d6d like these.

Let me know if you need any other help with that!

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 07-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:34 AM

She is fine... my showroom condition X however, is a total loss. I will probably be getting a new one soon. I had an 03 2.5 , looking at an 08 3.0.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Default looking for a late model steering wheel for my x type

Why don't you go for a new steering wheel with a new type of airbag? Everything is the same so it's just plug and play. It's about 15 min to change everything. You can buy all necessary part on ebay.
on ebay only found the steering wheel late model but without the airbag. do you know where I can find one complete ?
regards

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Maybe these pics help someone in his endeavors.

I made the steering wheel thicker than it was from the factory (I always hated how thin it was). Now it feels like an M3's steering wheel...feels awesome!

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 08-15-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Stuart Beattie (04-14-2014)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe these pics help someone in his endeavors.
I made the steering wheel thicker than it was from the factory (I always hated how thin it is). Now it feels like an M3's steering wheel...feels awesome!
Looks very comfy! You didn't happen to write up any measures or make stencils?

Since Jaguar dropped dove/granite interior and bird's eye maple in the facelift, I can't make an aesthetically sound update to a facelift steering wheel without replacing my steering wheel column, fascia and all the wood trim. My upgrade project on that front has pretty much ground to a halt. I found a single granite/wood pre-facelift wheel, but then the shop accidentally sold it to another customer although I had reserved it. Oh well.

EDIT:
Just checked for fun; for the price of ordering one such wheel from Jaguar, I could get all the used parts from eBay for swapping fascia/steering cowl/wood trims/wheel/airbag/switches/everything, + work

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 07-26-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 AM

Why don't you go for a new steering wheel with a new type of airbag? Everything is the same so it's just plug and play. It's about 15 min to change everything. You can buy all necessary part on ebay.
I´m looking for a complete steering wheel (with airbag) late model on ebay or amazon but could not find any. Do you know any.

regards

Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Logotipo
I´m looking for a complete steering wheel (with airbag) late model on ebay or amazon but could not find any. Do you know any.

regards
I found plenty with a quick search, just none complete. Why can't you buy the steering wheel and the airbag separately? The airbag has to be removed during installation anyway.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM

Looks very comfy! You didn't happen to write up any measures or make stencils?

Since Jaguar dropped dove/granite interior and bird's eye maple in the facelift, I can't make an aesthetically sound update to a facelift steering wheel without replacing my steering wheel column, fascia and all the wood trim. My upgrade project on that front has pretty much ground to a halt. I found a single granite/wood pre-facelift wheel, but then the shop accidentally sold it to another customer although I had reserved it. Oh well.

EDIT:
Just checked for fun; for the price of ordering one such wheel from Jaguar, I could get all the used parts from eBay for swapping fascia/steering cowl/wood trims/wheel/airbag/switches/everything, + work
Unfortunately I did not make any measurements or extra patterns. But still I've got one though. I bought an extra used steering wheel (just $40 on Ebay) and gently cut the seams and took the original leather off. And here you go - you get a stencil you can start the project with. Keep in mind that you have to make your patterns slightly bigger and fit each piece on the steering wheel to be sure everything is ok and fits fine. Since leather is a very flexible material, firstly you have to find the way that gives you the most stretching - that might help you a lot during the gluing and sewing steps.

If you need any further help with re-wrapping let me know. I'd be glad to give you a hand on this Probably I even can help you with the pattern, but most likely that the shipping costs will make it pointless. Huh.

As Aonsaithya said earlier - buy them separately. Just double check that the snap wire is on the back side of the airbag before you made your purchase and you're good to go.

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 08-15-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Ok, this is interesting, my wheel is different and I wonder how common i is. My wheel only has leather at the sides, the rest is the same polished wood as on the dash. What models/years had a full leather wheel and which ones were wood?

'05 with pretty much all the options (e.g., NAV).
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pab
Ok, this is interesting, my wheel is different and I wonder how common i is. My wheel only has leather at the sides, the rest is the same polished wood as on the dash. What models/years had a full leather wheel and which ones were wood?

'05 with pretty much all the options (e.g., NAV).
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
The half-leather (leather on sides), half-wood (more on top, some on bottom) wheels were an option every year. I think Sovereign/VDP trim levels had them as standard.

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 07-27-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: guess -> think

Quick Reply: 2003 X-Type Steering Wheel Conversion