X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type - Car Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type - Car Alarm

The alarm occasionally goes off (somehow, despite it being checked, the boot lid comes open usually when it is windy) which is not too bad if I am at home. Am shortly going away and wonder how I can disable the alarm. I suppose I could disconnect the battery lead (I am not keen) but could I just take a fuse out? If so which one? Perhaps there is some other method. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

R. Breeze

Old 08-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Rbreeze, first off, welcome to the forums. Sit back, grab a cup of Joe and enjoy the site. I think you will find lots of useful information here. But, we do ask a simple thing from you though. Stop by the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. I think you will find that this will give you a chance to meet the movers and shakers of the site and there may even be a surprise in it for you.

As for your problem. I would first start with getting your hands on a good silicon based spray lubricant (or WD-40 will work too). Then using a rag under the latch assembly, give the latch mechanism a good squirt. Make sure to spray up and into the latch assembly. If you have the time, may even want to consider removing the latch to get at it from some different angles. What you are wanting to do is to get some lubricant on to all of the moving parts. It sounds like to me that the latch is not closing all the way and with a little blow of the wind, it is allowing the latch to come open. Otherwise we are looking at a wiring issue where the latch is getting a signal to open the trunk and tracking that down may be interesting.

Something that you are not clear on, when the alarm goes off, does the trunk actually open or is it something that you have to open the trunk and then close it again before the alarm will reset itself? if it is something where you have to open the trunk and reshut it (not finding the trunk ajar), then I would recommend removing the trunk latch mechanism and if you look inside, you should see a little electric switch in there that comes in contact with the rotating piece of the latch mechanism. Give this button a good squirt with some WD-40. Then re-install the latch mechanism. I have seen this sort of issue with other Ford products and it was the switch that was the source of the problem.

If the trunk is physically opening, then odds are you have a wire that has been damaged and it is making intermittent contact and is somehow applying power to the motor that operates the latch mechanism. Odds are, your problem will lie in the plugs between the latch mechanism and the security module. You can rule out the plug on the latch assembly itself. But, there are 2 more plugs between the latch and the module. Unfortunately, this is more of a hand over hand type of job.

As for disabling the security system, please keep in mind that this WILL!!!!! affect how the doors will open remotely too (ie, the keyfob will not be able to unlock the doors). So, keep that in mind. To disable the alarm, remove fuses F22 and F35 in the passenger footwell fuse box. This will also take out: 1) Wiper functions, 2) power windows (will have to reprogram the windows when you return as they will loose their auto up/down memory positions), 3) horn,and 4) everything powered via the battery saver relay (windows, radio, etc).

If you are looking for something else or have more questions, let me know. I will try and assist however I can.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Chris, I don't think any reply could be more comprehensive than yours. What happens is that the horn sounds, I stop it using the button on the fob, I then find the boot lid ajar and so I shut it and reset the alarm via the fob. I was aware there might be some implications of removing a fuse and so I will try the WD 40 solution. Once again many thanks.
RB

Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

rbreeze, it is sounding more like the switch with what you are saying. I will take a look at my car and see if I can possibly steer you towards something a bit easier to do then removing the whole latch assembly.