Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X Type - Powertrain Warning Light on, dealer want $5600 to fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X Type - Powertrain Warning Light on, dealer want $5600 to fix

Hello,

I have a 2004 X Type with about 55k miles on it. Recently, the powertrain warning light came on, and the car was no longer be able to accelerate, crawling along at a slow and steady pace. I stopped the car for a while and started it again, and then the powertrain warning light was off, but the check engine light came on. After a few days of not using the car, it started with neither warning light on, but after a short time of driving the same process happened again.

I took it to the dealer, who wants a whopping $5600 to repair it (as well as other supposed problems). Specifically, they want to replace:
  • the throttle body - $2290
  • the external temperature sensor (which had been awry but isn't a priority) - $129
  • (to fix) an oil pan leak - $1210
  • IMT seals break booster pipe PCV hose - $570
  • front and rear sleigh bar bushings - $610
  • front tires plus alignment $618
  • and change the oil $70
for a total of nearly $5600. Of course that's approaching the KBB value of the car itself. I find it hard to believe that a car with relatively low mileage would have this level of repairs needed; in the four years I've owned it I've only put about 10K miles on it.

I have had issues with this dealership telling me thing needed to be done that really didn't, or at least I assume so because I would go in for, say, an oil change, and they would tell me a list of non-essential things to fix, I wouldn't, then the next time I'd come in they would give me a different list of things, which did not include anything from their prior list. Unless these things were fixing themselves, that seems suspicious. Plus there are their hyper-inflated dealer prices for things.

Anyway, what can I do other than take the car somewhere else for a second opinion? I don't know much about checking codes, etc. I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide!

To make this all the worse, I make my final payment on the car next week.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi!

The TB - $500 BNIB Jaguar OEM Throttle Body Genuine Jaguar XR845053 | eBay
You can change it yourself - 10 min work.

The oil pan - depends how bad is the leak, but I have a small leak for more than a year now, and not going to change it and spend $1,500 as it's only a few drops on the ground every couple of days. And a new gasket will start leaking quite soon after the replacement. So, I'd say it's a problem you can leave with. Huh

You also can get Genuine sub frame bushings online (gaudin jaguar for example) and do it yourself or any shop can do it easily.

Check all 4 tires, and if they look badly - go for a new set of 4. An alignment by itself costs ~ $150 at a dealership (call every dealership around your area and check prices).

Also, why were you told the TB needs to be replaced? What's wrong with it?

You better take the car to an independent shop and re-check the car. And if I was you I would not tell to another shop technician about the staff you were told at the dealership. So, you can compare the verdicts. lol

Cheers

Last edited by Nardoswiss; 04-20-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

Noise, I can probably guess the dealership that you went to. But I will be good for sake of not dragging a name through the mud.

Honestly, those prices are high. I can do the IMT valves and brake booster check valve for around $25 (that is what the parts cost, $4 for each IMT o-ring and the check valve piece is like $15). Installing them takes all of about 30 minutes.

As for the throttlebody, I would say to first check to see if you have damaged wiring on the plug nearest the driver's tire. The wiring there is known to have issues and if you are getting a wire to short out, it can toss the car into a tizzy.

As for tires, I would tell you to go looking at a tire shop. You can get 4 tires for that kind of money and an alignment is going to be another $100 or less.

As for the sleigh bar (aka, sway bar) bushings. That is about $50 for a set of bushings (good ones) and another hour. Again, seems a little high to me.

The oil change, for a dealership, that isn't too uncalled for, but still on the high end of things.

If you don't mind a little bit of a drive, come on down south about an hour and I can hook you up with most of what you need done. The only thing that I am not comfortable doing at my place is the oil pan. That can be a little involved and having the car a few feet in the air is going to make things tons easier. But, like was mentioned, unless the oil leak is really bad (ie, more than 1 quart every 1,000 miles), I would not worry about it.

P.S. Keep an eye out on the "South" section. I am organizing a get together out in Fairfax, VA in mid May. We are going to walk through a car show and then do a sunday brunch. Should be a good time.

The following users liked this post:
Nardoswiss (04-20-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Nardoswiss! I spoke with the dealer again and they said the error code was P0121. I've bookmarked the TB you linked to and will take the car to an independent shop for a second opinion.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

What size motor do you have? If you have the 2.5 the transaxle needs to be removed to get to 1 bolt on the oil pan. That would explain the high price for replacing the gasket.

FYI - If you're willing the transaxle bolt housing can be grinded out in order to get to that 1 bolt. Just be very careful.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Noise..where are you located?