X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 X-Type Transmission / Transfer Case Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 X-Type Transmission / Transfer Case Noise?

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for the help. I've been dealing with a skipped loose timing chain on a 2010 Lincoln MKT, 2001 Chrysler Sebring (engine failure) sludge bucket! which occurred one day after changing upper, lower control arms and struts, and now 2004 Jaguar X-Type.

I picked up this car which was definitely in rough condition for cheap, did some work on it and got it running. Electrical wires for fans were ripped, coolant system leaking (radiator cap), and starter.

I was happy thinking I had a reliable daily driver until I heard the whining! After doing research and it seems like it might be a transmission or most likely transfer case.

I was planning on doing a transmission fluid replace and also a transfer case flush/refill. Please listen to the link below and tell me what you think

Symptoms:
  • Whining clearly heard over 10mphs
  • I couldn't easily distinguish whining noise in reverse
  • Whining noise is gone as soon as you let off the gas
  • Pitch of whining noise matches speedo, it doesn't change with the rpms from changing gears.
I had the car up on jacks, with the wheels off (after I fought one of the lug nuts that was spinning), and I believe only one wheel was spinning (passenger side rear). This vehicle is 3.0 AWD. One Wheel moving doesn't make sense..

Old 10-24-2015, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Fill the transfer case with lube, and a little Lucas goo, and unless you have driven it a lot like this you may dodge a bullet. Mine started making a whine(not as loud as yours), and I did this, and so far with 15,000 miles on the fluid change, the noise hasn't come back.....Good Luck......Mike

Old 10-24-2015, 11:28 AM

When you say "lucas goo" do you mean the oil stabilizer? I've heard bad things about lucas, is there an alternative with royal purple, redline, or amsoil?

Old 10-24-2015, 05:39 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I actually went ahead and flushed the transfer case multiple times and then filled it. The plug had a tar like substance on it multiple times while flushing.

When I first opened the transfer case it was bone dry. I had one side of the car jacked up to try and get something out, not a single drop.

The first flush was black. I plan on flushing it a few more times because the transfer case was in really bad shape and it's still coming out pretty black. Hopefully I get lucky. So far the car sounds amazing compared to before.

I think I'm going to change the fluid in the transmission next weekend as well. I finally cleaned this bad boy up. Someone neglected the hell out of it.

Next fix is ac and brakes.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Hope you get it sorted out soon with some badly needed TLC.
If the steering wheel is an indication of how the previous owner treated it you have your hands full. Can't even imagine what they did to get it looking like that.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Yes, the appearance of the steering wheel suggests that this car has been abused, and abused badly....the Lucas referred to has nothing whatever to do with the old Lucas electric that you have heard about. It refers to an oil supplier that produces excellent products (and it is American, not British).

Old 11-03-2015, 07:38 PM

Yup this car was abused badly, but when I got her started the engine purred so I had to take her home. Well its been relatively inexpensive fixes so far and I am hoping I have a reliable car. But there is a clunking noise any time you let off the gas and step on it pretty good, possibly motor mounts or wide back lash in the TC? Who knows..

Then she started overheating so I changed the water pump and now I have a wear sputtering noise besides my one rear brake grinding b/c it needs to be replaced. And still no A/C..

All in all she is getting me to work and back so that's all that matters. Funds are low else I would have fixed everything already.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Next on the list:
rear rotors & pads
one tire (noticed front driver side is a 215 instead of 225 or something like that)
fix missing studs and get missing lug nuts
Trans fluid refill
TC fluid refill (already flushed, just want to get it nice and fresh after a week of driving)
Looking into differential flush
Then possibly new AC compressor (system has a bad leak, but I need to do more diagnosing to find it)

I'm hoping I can get this car back to reliable soon. If this car isn't solid after another $500 - I might have to sell it and move on to the next one. Previous owner might have abused it a bit too much!

I still have to do a timing chain to my 2010 Lincoln MKT ecoboost and might tackle an engine rebuild on my 2001 Chrysler Sebring. The only thing running good around here are the dogs!