X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.0 Sport Owners in here

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3.0 Sport Owners in here

Anybody else think that for a six banger these cars have a very nice engine/exhaust note to them. I'm a previous mustang owner had had many GTs. Now this is far from 300hp and 320torque but I do like the growl the x-type has on strong acceleration.

I've heard other v-6s and they never sound tough.

Anybody else think the same????

Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree. I love that growling sound.
I am going to alter mine a bit with a header/cat back kit and remove the cats near the block. I am also going to open up the air flow by removing the "silencing" baffels in the air box and add a third air intake into the air box. I will also smooth out the plenum of some of it's rough edges behind the Throttle Body. Maybe get a few more HPs and MPGs. I'm sure it will change the sound though. I post on this in the future.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

I agree with you there. I bought my 2005 Sport in October last year and thought the same thing. Just recently I put some Borla mufflers on and it sounds even better. Just a bit of a low rumble at idle that builds as you acelerate, but not obnoxious. Kind of an adult sound, if that makes sense. Plus, when the engine winds up I like the kind of mechanical sound as well. Hard for me to decribe. It's like you are in control of a machine with some personality and not just some sterile feeling/sounding/driving mode of transportation . Kind of like the definition of ****: Can't really describe it, but I know wit when I see it.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

I have contemplated removing the stock mufflers and upgrading to something a bit more free flowing to help with the 5K plus RPM power (seems to fall flat up in that region). Granted, hearing that there are gains to be made in the intake, might have to pull the intake to not only change the spark plugs, but also work a little bit of magic to help things flow a bit freer. When I do this, I will take some pics to let people know what is going on. I did a port/polish job on the intake of my truck and got some decent power gains. Nothing spectacular, but definitely got some gains.

For the muffler, I am contemplating two ideas. The easier method is simply going straight pipe in place of the mufflers. I am just fearful of loosing too much low end power and getting more of the "bubble bee" sound (gotta love ricers, NOT!!!!). The other idea is going with say a 50 series flowmaster and then modifying the input tube to match up to the 45 degree input. I figure I can make the modification with my MIG welder. Just need to look at the first chamber of the muffler to make sure that changing the intake exhaust direction won't significantly affect its ability to muffle. Gott alove having a background in air flow and mechanical design.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

I like the sound already but keep looking at the Borla and wonder if it will give just a bit throatier sound?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:46 AM

I've wondered about the borla exhaust as well. I'd like to upgrade as long as it's tasteful. Glad others think the same way about how it sounds.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

The first time I started mine up after getting them installed there was a noticable difference inside the car. It was kind of a lower rumble when you would accelerate. Nothing real loud, nothing real obnxoius, just a little more agressive. Just what I was looking for. I wasn't looking for a street racer kind of sound, just a little tweak. I think they fit the bill perfectly. Plus, they look great out the back.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Alfadude
The first time I started mine up after getting them installed there was a noticable difference inside the car. It was kind of a lower rumble when you would accelerate. Nothing real loud, nothing real obnxoius, just a little more agressive. Just what I was looking for. I wasn't looking for a street racer kind of sound, just a little tweak. I think they fit the bill perfectly. Plus, they look great out the back.
How much were they? I assume they are just axle-back replacements? Is the tip on them bigger too?

I may have to do that on mine, however Borla website didn't seem to show those for 2005 +.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Haven't seen anything but the cat-back Borla system. No complete exhaust system. I've seen them for around $500 both on Mina Gallery and eBay. Bigger tips for sure.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I paid like just about $500 with the shipping from Mina. They seem to have the best price. Kind of a hassle dealing with them. They at first claimed it was sent to the wrong address, then it would ship one day or another and I would ask for a tracking number and they would never give it to me. Once the guy called me and said he would include a little something for my patience and when I finally got it there was a cheap looking Borla hat. But I did get it. Just a weird experience that took about a month longer than when they said it would ship.

JJ, I know what you mean about the Borla website, and some others that sell it as well. Just type in a different year and it will show up. Not sure why that is, but I have experienced the same thing.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Um...OK....I'll pretend you all didn't say that. The factory exhaust on the x-type is one of the most constrictive I have ever seen....and to say it has a nice growl to it is like saying you love to be raped by a wild monkey in the woods....

If you want a nice free flowing exhaust and something that sounds nice and will give you better fuel economy....get rid of the factory setup!!

Cost me about 1.5K to get a complete stainless exhaust with free flowing cats.
Wanna talk about a nice sound???!!

BTW, nothing beat the sound of 6 liters with full stainless system.....music to ones ears!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the x. just like god made it.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Um, God had nothing to do with it.....he was nowhere near your car when it was being put together by the drunk autoworker who was about to lose his job after he found out jag was sold to an Pakistani company......

Maybe you should say, "Just the way Budda made it?"

Old 02-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by racerx82
Um...OK....I'll pretend you all didn't say that. The factory exhaust on the x-type is one of the most constrictive I have ever seen....and to say it has a nice growl to it is like saying you love to be raped by a wild monkey in the woods....

If you want a nice free flowing exhaust and something that sounds nice and will give you better fuel economy....get rid of the factory setup!!
Did you ever take pics/vids of the entire setup racer? You left right after you bought the manifolds and I never heard anything about them.

To a previous poster, I thought that the intake that the car has on it couldn't be improved upon? I was pretty sure other people tried doing stuff and it didn't do anything???

I know the k&n helped me...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ewrg_RelM...the only thing you could hear before the k&n FIPK kit was quite a bit of wind noise.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member

Nice sound, Aquill. Hope you didn't floor it like that too often when gas was $4 a gallon! But sometimes you just can't resist. For me I wish I had the time, space, tools, $$$ and know how do do some modifications like I read about here. Short of that I am content just enjoying my Jag as it is at the moment. Plus, seeing as it is still under warranty I am also limited by that. Last thing I would want to is have something denied. For me, the stock 0-60 of 6.6 isn't slow, and you always want more, but taken in context of everything else I think it's a great compromise. I may be still in the honeymoon phase and in for a rude awakening in the coming years, but at the moment it's makes sometimes just go out and drive it even if I have no where to go. One thing I would have wished they would have done is add a 6th gear for cruising. Would help with the mileage on some longer trips.

Racer, reading so many of the things you did to your car I would have LOVED to have seen it, let alone see what it could do on the road. My hats off to you on your mods. From what I have been reading no one else out there is even close to being as brave as you with the things you did to wring out some performance out of the X.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 AM

on my x-type I had just put magnaflows and it sounded great.. then I added an x-pipe which converted my thingy to true duals.. maybe ill get a video/sound clip of the new set up cuz it sounds freaking awesome..

Old 02-11-2009, 09:05 AM

Mine looks to be true dual exhaust. Are some years not dual from the cat-back???

Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hey Aquill,
No, the intake has LOTS of room for improvement! I think once i did the intake, that freed up about 10-15hp! No, no vids or pics....i took one of me doing a 4 wheel burn out, but i can't find it.

The jag is built good and solid, but it also has lots of room for inprovement in the performance department. Unfortunatley, nobody out there makes any parts for it....if you want to gain some HP, you'll have to make the parts yourself. But, once you get it all to fit and work, she can be a mean bitch on the road....I ate many GT mustangs up off the line....and a few stock Dodge rt's......the look on their faces....priceless...

Was fun while it lasted, but i wanted something inthe 500+ hp range that was cheap and easy to do. AKA my GT G8

I do miss the AWD!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 PM

racer how did you do the intake!!!!
I need me some 4 wheel burnouts...
lol..
dont tell me you did the cold air intake thingy from mina/jagxp....

Old 02-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Um...no. Not that easy. U need to remove the complete intake, port and polish it. But theres more to it then that.

Quick Reply: 3.0 Sport Owners in here