X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6000k HID

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Type 6000k HID Fit

My Jag lights were so poor I fitted H1 Super White 6000K HID today.

6000k HID-6000k-super-white-lights-.jpg

6000k HID-gp_pro_bulbs.jpg

6000k HID-hid5.jpg

http://www.hidlightsusa.com/product....=Pro_6K_H1_Kit

First of all I removed the front bumper; I have read on forums that you can get to the lights without doing this. I took one look at the tight space you have to work with and decided to remove the bumper. The Headlights are a simple job to remove once this is done and out the way.
The HID lights are a simple plug and play fitting. All you have to do is drill a hole in the rear cover of the dipped headlight, I used a Step drill bit for this (Don’t be alarmed the rubber grommet that comes with the HID kit makes it a water tight seal). I fitted the ballasts on the shelf area just below the headlamps and secured them by using the exterior mounting tape and tie wraps. Job Done!

Last edited by BLU3; 09-13-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 PM

The yellowish sidelights spoiled the cold, clean, intense-white look of the xenons so I change these too with whiter sidelight bulbs, because they are on all the time with the xenons it just gives a nicer look and distinct improvement me thinks!

6000k HID-p1000921.jpg

6000k HID-hid6.jpg

6000k HID-hid7.jpg

Old 09-13-2010, 05:37 PM

Job Done!

6000k HID-hid3.jpg

6000k HID-hid1.jpg

Last edited by BLU3; 09-13-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:48 PM

Here are the rules on Aftermarket HID headlamps...........

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps
December 2006
In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR

Telephone: 020 7944 2078
Fax: 020 7944 2196
Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk
It just so happens that the X-Type has what is known as projection lenses and is suitable for HID lights.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

nice, job well done

Old 09-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice job! It looks awesome.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU3
The yellowish sidelights spoiled the cold, clean, intense-white look of the xenons so I change these too with whiter sidelight bulbs, because they are on all the time with the xenons it just gives a nicer look and distinct improvement me thinks!

Attachment 5063

Attachment 5064

Attachment 5065
What sidelight bulbs did you use and where did you get them? I got some Philips ultra blue, but they are still yellow compared with my HIDS.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dalecan
What sidelight bulbs did you use and where did you get them? I got some Philips ultra blue, but they are still yellow compared with my HIDS.
Are you talking about the parking light's above the high beam lamps? If so you can check out a couple of sites that sell them to match your HID's by K temperature. They are 194 bulb's and are easy to replace, I got mine at V-leds.. but had to take them out since my HID project went sour.. there was no point in having them once I went back to stock. I warn you if you have 5k like I did order them asap because they sell out fast, Nice job on the whole setup BLU3 wish you luck with it.

Last edited by BlackJag914; 09-14-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Old 09-17-2010, 08:06 AM

Can someone recommend a place where I can buy the hid

Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU3

Cheers bro, I've just ordered those.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In our law, which derives from the English common law, there is a maxim of law: "inclusio unius est exclusio alterius." Check out Black's Law Dictionary, 6th ed. It actually says that means where a law states what it applies to, then there is an irrefutable inference that what was not named was intended to be left out (excluded from that law). So in the case of what you were saying earlier about the HID not being mentioned in the regulations, it would actually be reasonable to hold it to mean that the law doesn't apply to them - i.e. they, then, do not fall under those regulations, and thus, could be used where ever and whenever without restriction, IMO.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by pizedelic
Can someone recommend a place where I can buy the hid
Try these m8

http://www.hidlightsusa.com/product....=Pro_6K_H1_Kit

The Boys in Blue can pull you over in the UK and slap a fine on your lap for changing the lights. This will result in a £60 spot fine + 3 points on your licence. So if you’re going to fit HID lights in the UK stick to 6k or you will be a target for the boys in blue. As I stated earlier the Jaguar is fitted with projection lenses and suitable for HID lights so you won’t stand out as much as the Nova Boy IMO.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:55 PM
FSO

Then it means if I have the 6K HID they can't fine me?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:00 PM

A little bit more work is needed doing to the lights to make sure you have a good argument if the boys in blue do pull you over. As I said earlier the Jaguar already comes with projection lenses and a manual levelling headlight unit, so make sure you have these set exactly to the halogen lights you take out (tape a mark on your garage wall or side of your house) and make sure you adjust your new HID’s to the original alignment and you should have no problems.
I spoke to the lads at FST Automotive where I bought the lights, and they told me after market lights that were not designed for the car are illegal and by law I should buy the whole unit. Again the Jag comes with projection lenses so they had a look & were happy that the car could take the HID’s but they insisted on 6k because these are the middle of the spectrum light & don’t over power other road user, thus don’t bring unneeded attention to your car.
Also FST said they will have no problem with the car passing its MOT with 6k lights fitted. Armed with all this information and correct fitting of the lights I am confident the car won’t be pulled over for my HID lights, but if it is, my opening line is “ what’s the problem ossifer” *Hick*.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:13 PM

Also Thermo posted this reply to an earlier thread that makes good reading on the HID issue.

Originally Posted by Thermo
Dmennis, What is more important to you, light output or the look of the lights? If light output is more important, then 4300K HID bulbs is what you want. You can go with 6000K HIDs and the light output is not that much less. To put this into perspective, 4300K bulbs output 3300 lumen, 6000K bulbs output 3000 lumen, and 10000K bulbs output only 2600 lumen (or about 21% less light). All these bulbs are still more than halogen bulbs, but as you can see, there is a price to pay for light output.

If color is more important, what color are you after? 6000K bulbs are pretty much all white with a slight blue halo. 10000K bulbs have a fairly blue tint to them. You get down to 3000K bulbs and they are going to be very yellow. If you like the purple look, then look at 15000K or even 30000K bulbs. But, from 10000K on up, you are opening yourself up to tickets since a lot of police do not like them since they are not of a "legal color". Everywhere I am aware of, they specifically state that on the front of the car, you are only allowed "either white or yellow light to be shown". They normally specify that yellow should be reserved for turn signals/driving lights only. Like for example, in the rear of the car, "red and yellow lights are only to be shown with red being shown to indicate stopping with the exception of white lights which are only to be shown when the vehicle is backing up". Yes, people have them on their cars. Does that make it right. No. Some places are more tolerant of the blue/purple HID bulbs than others. I can't speak for how your area is. Just look around and see how many people have the blue or purple HIDs. If you are not seeing them, probably a reason for that.

Personally, the reason for having HIDs is to have more light output. Hence why I am running 6000K bulbs in my car (both heads and fogs). I like the pure white light that is emitted. Also note that when replacing bulbs, you must get the 35W HID bulbs. Going with the higher wattage HID bulbs is not possible without serious modification since the ballast is bulb wattage based (the ballast is what causes the HID bulb to function). You put in a higher wattage bulb and you will soon be buying new headlight assemblies (at a minimum new HID ballasts, assuming you can find them). Not a cheap proposition.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:35 PM

Ebay