Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 amp relay

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 05:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 amp relay

Hi all, I am new so forgive any errors.

I have a glow plug fault with my 2.2 diesel, I cannot get power to the tip of my plugs, I replaced them last October, when I did a test they dont heat up, I have voltage going to the buzz bar, which leads me to the relay as faulty, my problem is I can't find the location of the 70amp relay. Can anyone help please.

Regards
Paulas

Old 03-28-2019, 04:20 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Paul, welcome to JF. Lots of good people here and tons of people willing to help. We do ask though that you stop by the New Member section and tell us a little bit about yourself. We pride ourselves in being a better car group and as part of this, we like to get to know one another. This will also give you a chance to meet those that make this place what it is.

As for you problem. The relay that you are after is in the engine bay fuse box. The manual I have says that it is relay R10. What I would say to do is to check that relay, but to also check fuse F22 (60 amp fuse) in the same fuse box. If you look on the top of the fuse, you should see 2 silver tabs in the plastic. If you have a multimeter, you can touch the probes to those tabs and you should get 0 VDC across them. This would indicate that the fuse is good. If you are getting 12 VDC across them, then the fuse is bad.. Once you know the fuse is good, then I would take a piece of say 18 gauge wire and cut off a piece that is 6 inches/15 cm in length and strip off the last 1/2"/1cm of insulation from each end of the wire. You will then want to bend the piece of wire into a U shape. If you look on the back side of the relay, you should see some numbers (1 thru 5). Match those numbers up to the slots in the fuse box. What you are going to do is insert the ends of the wire into the 2 posts labeled 3 and 5. You will most likely get a little bit of sparking from this. if so, then we know your glow plugs are working. If you aren't, then you have either a bad fuse or a wiring problem between the fuse and the relay.

If you know your glow plugs are working, then the next step is to connect a multimeter into terminals 1 and 2 with 1 getting the red lead and 2 getting the black lead. While monitoring for 12 VDC, turn the ignition switch to activate the glow plugs. Did you get 12 VDC there? If yes, then you have a bad relay. Replace. If you didn't get 12 VDC, then you have a problem the ignition switch or the ECU which is telling the glow plugs to activate. If you need to troubleshoot the ignition switch/ECU circuit, let me know and I will see what I can find for you.