Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abnormal noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abnormal noise?

Good morning to all who read my post.
I'm going to make this as brief as I can with full details.
I own a 2004 Jag X type with a 2.5 v6 gasoline engine. I'm aware that I'm the third owner of this car. I'm only assuming as to finding an original paper work from a Hollywood, CA dealership in the year of 2004 with another name other than from who I bought it from. The computer detects a couple codes that I have checked myself. It comes down to needing to replace all ignition coils, spark plugs, knock sensor, and o2 sensors. The Jag is rarely driven because of the need of replacing those components, but I do drive it on occasions. There are no symptoms that lack of power. Runs great. But it has developed an abnormal noise in the engine. Coming from the bank next to the front of the car.[ the car has a manual transmission ] pretty dope if you ask me. It makes a whooshing, splashing sound? Never have I experienced this. I have changed the oil about 100 miles ago. The car only has 137, 216 miles. I put those 216 on it. I check the level of the oil every time before deciding to drive it. All is good. A minor leak, but that's a different story. This noise that the engine makes has me wondering as to what it is? Something loose in there? I need some info. I'm thinking of taking my time to remove the cover, and other stuff that are in the way, and look inside for anything loose. Again it doesn't sound anything like a knocking, or pinging noise.

so much for making this a brief one. Sounds like a grief one to me. Haha. Thanks to those who stumble upon my post, and take the time to explain what it could be.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Jose, the way you described is hard tell what it is, is it the noise happen only when you drive? This will make it difficult to detect. Does it sound on idle? if it does so only on high rpm, then check out for cracking intake track some where, may be loose or torn air filter or loose throttle body flap(?)(the round metal piece inside throttle body)

Old 10-29-2017, 05:04 PM

The sound comes when idling, and when driving. High RPMs aren't registered on this JAG. No hesistation while driving. Very odd sound, man. I'll check for those possibilities. I had recorded it , but the noise is very faint in the video, so that wasn't much of a help.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

could the sound be a kind of air sucking sound? If so, that could be a vacuum leak and a possible ource to some of your issues. What codes are you getting?

Old 10-30-2017, 03:31 PM

The codes are what I mentioned in my first post, but if the car is experiencing vacuum leaks wouldn't the car show symptoms as far as lack of power, and stalling? I have my other finger on that possibility. When I bought the car. The car came with green coloured coolant. I've done my research, and that is the wrong colour. Although PRESTONE states for all makes. I had a gallon of it, so I topped off with it. I'm leaning to that. Flush the coolant system as best, and put the correct coolant.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:44 PM

Take as much engine cover off as you can and look for garbage that got stuck in there. Packrats, for instance, will haul trash up into places for nesting.
P.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

If you think the noise is like water whooshing then it may be the cooling system.
First the green is fine I use Prestone in mine. What you can't do is mix green and orange. Makes a gooey mess and has to be flushed out.
What I recommend is taking it for an "italian tuneup" a brisk, vigorous romp on the road. While you are doing that turn the temp control all the way to HI. This will force air in the system to evacuate to the coolant tank.
Return home and let it cool down and then check the coolant level. If it is low top it off and make another trip. There is a detailed burping procedure in the tech manual but a good romp with the heater on works.
The system is a HIGH Velocity, LOW Volume system and air makes funny noises.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carson City Smith
Take as much engine cover off as you can and look for garbage that got stuck in there. Packrats, for instance, will haul trash up into places for nesting.
P.
I will get to that over the weekend. What are packrats?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
If you think the noise is like water whooshing then it may be the cooling system.
First the green is fine I use Prestone in mine. What you can't do is mix green and orange. Makes a gooey mess and has to be flushed out.
What I recommend is taking it for an "italian tuneup" a brisk, vigorous romp on the road. While you are doing that turn the temp control all the way to HI. This will force air in the system to evacuate to the coolant tank.
Return home and let it cool down and then check the coolant level. If it is low top it off and make another trip. There is a detailed burping procedure in the tech manual but a good romp with the heater on works.
The system is a HIGH Velocity, LOW Volume system and air makes funny noises.
...i have in mind of draining the radiator, and repeating the flush with distilled water, then add the coolant specified by the manual.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose Arellano
The codes are what I mentioned in my first post, but if the car is experiencing vacuum leaks wouldn't the car show symptoms as far as lack of power, and stalling? I have my other finger on that possibility. When I bought the car. The car came with green coloured coolant. I've done my research, and that is the wrong colour. Although PRESTONE states for all makes. I had a gallon of it, so I topped off with it. I'm leaning to that. Flush the coolant system as best, and put the correct coolant.
Could you post the code numbers you are getting? Based on what you siad about changing coils, spark plugs, etc. it seems like you should have a check engine light on and some level of performance chnaged. Knowing the code numbers might help to better diagnose what you are hearing.