X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Noises & random hesitation | 03 x-type 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Noises & random hesitation | 03 x-type 3.0

Just to preface this post, I did just purchase this car just under a week ago. Still learning a lot each day so any lack of knowledge or poor explanation, I apologize.

A day or 2 after I first got the car, started to here this low volume knocking noise coming from the engine at idle and seemed to even out when at higher rpm or acceleration. Read online that could be certain parts of the engine getting poor lubrication. Decided I would do a full oil/oil filter change and put in this additive to promote engine health. Got some full synthetic oil, and the additive. After that the car seemed to just sound way better and the knocking was gone. However 2 days later the same noise is back so that begs the question of what is actually wrong here.

Also noticed while parking today, the car will jolt when being put from Drive to Reverse, or Reverse to Drive. Putting the car into or out of Park into any other car doesn't cause the jolt. There was what seemed to be maybe a slight rubbing noise during the jolt.

Short time figuring out the issue stated above, the car hesitated a bit when trying to accelerate onto the highway. It seemed like the car would shift once then shift itself again really shortly after and that causes the hesitation, maybe could be a driveline/transfer case issue. When just driving around I understand the engine will shift up in order to drop the rpm, maybe that has a relation to the issue and the transmission isn't doing what it needed at the current time. Oddly enough second time shortly after it didn't hesitate, however third time around it did the same thing. Hopefully this doesn't mean the trans is done.

Last edited by AndrewG; 10-31-2017 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

You might want to chnage the transmission and transfer case fluid and then see what you have.

Do you have any light showing on the dash? If so, get teh codes read and post them here.