Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC compressor bypass.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC compressor bypass.

I hope this may help someone out.
My wife 02 x-type's AC compressor clutch blew up and locked the pulley. With the holidays coming I did not want to replace the compressor and all the other little goodies, so I decided to bypass it. I searched but could not find any info. I measured for the new belt length and checked for clearance issues.

What you will need is a 13/16” x 84-5/8” 6 groove belt. ( maybe slightly shorter more later )

You will end up bypassing a idler pulley as well. The belt install essentially the same with the exception of the two pulleys that are bypassed.

I have put 120 miles on the new belt so far with no real problems. The only thing I have noticed, is some belt slipping while turning the wheel at a stand still ( this has diminished with more miles ).
The belt tension feels good to me. It has about a 1/2” pull, and has a fare amount of resistance when turning 90 degrees. Maybe jags need more tension on the belt than I'm used to, but I think it is more down to the cheap belt I used. As the belt is broken in, the slipping is almost gone, now only slipping at wheel lock right or left. I know I should have spent a few more bucks for a better belt, but I intend to go back to the stock setup in the summer. Hope this helps, happy holidays.

The following 5 users liked this post by adamc:
iownme (10-28-2012), jchavez76 (10-28-2012), leve (12-12-2014), liam (06-23-2021), Racer X (08-06-2015)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Good info. Nice work and well presented. I'm sure this will save someone some time and money until they can get to the expensive a/c job.

I can't believe I'm saying this already.... Happy Holidays to you as well.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My A/C compressor just froze up and snapped the belt. I've had ac problems anyways so I tried this to bypass it and it worked. Thanks!!! Here is some info on the belt I used in case somebody else decides to do this because it took the pros at O'Reilly's a while to figure what I was doing and also find a belt.

Attached Thumbnails AC compressor bypass.-20141012_115644.jpg   AC compressor bypass.-20141012_115712.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
leve (12-12-2014)
Old 10-16-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default ac units

I have a few good ac units for sale if you guys are looking. Cause your forum members. I will let them go cheap. Good work on finding a alternate way around things.

The Dr!

Old 11-05-2014, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I just had this done today as to your instructions and it worked but I want to know if there's any sort of problems you guys ran into later down the road and also how long did you have it this way?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:19 AM

I have been using it since my post, so almost a month and I have had no trouble!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:55 AM

Okay sweet! Thanks so much this was so helpful because I was quoted 1100 to put a new compressor and this only cost me 200 total with the towing so I'm so stoked it worked!

Old 11-08-2014, 01:16 AM

I'm glad this has helped, good luck guys. I'm still using this bypass with no issues. LOL I didn't realize it has been that long.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL the same here folks ! not a/c for at least 2 years this guy save my life.

Old 11-28-2014, 06:23 PM

So my ac and power steering is out, my serpentine belt shredded, and as I drove it home I discovered that my power steering or there lack of was extremely easier to drive without a belt on than it was trying to drive it with no working power steering pump and the serpentine belt on...So my question is now that I am getting a shorter belt to bypass the ac...can I bypass both the ac and the power steering pulley so my 02 Jaguar x-type V6 3.0 will be easier to steer on top of not having AC...I'm a single mom of three and I currently cant afford another car nor can I afford to fix my power steering and a.c. So can anyone help me with any info on how I can get this done? What size belt I need and how I maneuver the belt to bypass the power steering and ac pulley?
Thank you, Happy Holidays...

Old 12-12-2014, 11:11 AM

Did the bypass today in about 50 min. with a lift. Thank you all for the info... It saved me big time!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:07 PM
Default Belt Options?

Has anyone tried a Gates k060837? It is 84 1/4"... 3/8" shorter than the k060841. Just a thought since my Jag started squeeling a little. I put belt dressing on it and it quit, but considering going with this alternate belt.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:16 PM

Sorry championrotties I have not responded to your question. If you still need to bypass the PS it may be possible. If you look at the diagram you would go around 8 under 3 and over 4 then continue with the diagram as shown. I can not say what size of belt you would need. You would have to measure the path I described with some sting, wrapping around just as the belt would, keep tight with just a little slack and then mark the string where the 2 pieces intersect, straighten the string and measure it to find the length of belt needed. Hope this helps.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:45 PM

This belt works much better for us. I live in Wisconsin and since it dropped below 0 degrees, the squeeling was terrible. Put this belt on and all is good.

Racer X (08-06-2015)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mcduvall
My A/C compressor just froze up and snapped the belt. I've had ac problems anyways so I tried this to bypass it and it worked. Thanks!!! Here is some info on the belt I used in case somebody else decides to do this because it took the pros at O'Reilly's a while to figure what I was doing and also find a belt.
Hi all,
I have the same problem with my 2002 2.5 xtype will this work with the 6PK2135 belt if so what way do I fit the new belt
Thank you and kind regards
Arthur

Old 02-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Ac unit

Originally Posted by Arthur Sharman66
Hi all,
I have the same problem with my 2002 2.5 xtype will this work with the 6PK2135 belt if so what way do I fit the new belt
Thank you and kind regards
Arthur
I have a used ac unit on the shelf if anyone is interested in it. Message me and we can work out a price

Old 06-09-2016, 10:54 PM

Hi
I found this link and have a new Belt .
I have tried but I dont have access to the diagram.
The 2 Pulleys bypassed. I can not work out the 2nd pulley that is bypassed,and I need a I have found a copy of a 2.5 belt path and assuming the numbers are common, I can only see that (2) may be removed and therefore bypassed. my belt is still too short and rubs on some castings. What have I done wrong. This is being done in between rain and so I could be just missing the point.
Thanks

Old 06-10-2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Aljay
Hi
I found this link and have a new Belt .
I have tried but I dont have access to the diagram.
The 2 Pulleys bypassed. I can not work out the 2nd pulley that is bypassed,and I need a I have found a copy of a 2.5 belt path and assuming the numbers are common, I can only see that (2) may be removed and therefore bypassed. my belt is still too short and rubs on some castings. What have I done wrong. This is being done in between rain and so I could be just missing the point.
Thanks
This is something that is easily googled... or found on this forum.

Aljay (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 PM

Hi mcduvall,
I cant access the bypass diagram through the site. The link just says not available or the 2nd link does nothing,
Google just returns me to the Forum.
If you know a Link to see the diagram I would be very grateful. Thaks

Old 06-17-2016, 08:29 PM

hi to all that have sent me emails encouraging my X Type Ownership.
Thanks.
Since Buying I have had to do some small jobs, A/C seized on way home and the lack of Car delayed getting going again. I followed a Thread on how to bypass the Compressor and although the idea is good (There are others who think sideways, who would know) The lack of access to the diagrams an the forum made a simple job a bit difficult. The Original suggested replacement belt was advised to buy a shorter one, which I did. This worked but was far too long. A belt 1 1/2" shorter is now fitted. This is very close to being perfect. At $70Au it is worth knowing the correct size first up.
Gates not being thick on the ground here in Melbourne. I used Dayco, which is USA and UK as well. The Size that worked on my Car is 5060835. This is 83.5"
The Original article by ADMC is worth gold, Getting the digram to work would be of value to some future searcher.

Quick Reply: AC compressor bypass.