Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default RE: Accident!! Near Slid!!!!

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  7.4 KB

Hey Jason.........re the clutch and sitting in first gear etc at stop lights and in traffic. Its all a matter of style and or experience mate.
I've driven around 900,000 miles in the last 16 - 17 years and its always kept me safe n ready to rock n roll at the first sign of trouble. My Peugeot 309 from brand new did 140,000 miles before it needed a new clutch.
Most of my Mondeos went back with 150,000 - 160,000 miles on them and never had a clutch replaced on them.
Then again, I've always driven a manual and know what I'm about so thats that.
I cant understand people needing replacement clutches at 40,000 miles or therabouts either.....gotta be down to driver use I'd guess.

Jim

Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes my dad is a very good driver so he taught me standard on a jetta we had so he taught me everything about it.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actual jason I have to disagree with you on the not staying in first gear at a stop...trust me first hand THAT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE! Much like adjusting your driving to conditions could save your life. Driving a car with a clutch like its a racecar would blow the clutch before keeping it depressed would at a light...IMO!

Oh and I'm self taught on the clutch...figure common sense taught me...

Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 PM

Aquil your in first gear all the time, summer time, fall time, all year round??? What if you have a car in front of you, you still will put it in first gear? makes no sense to me.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:41 AM
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Okay, my 2 cents on the 1st gear thing? When I stop in a line of traffic, I've left room and planned an escape path before coming to a stop. Year round, why does season matter? Be it car or motorcycle, I can remember 3 times that has saved my *** when someone wouldn't have stopped in time. BTW, that only works if you're sharp enough towatch your mirrors and NOT the traffic light.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm actually w/Jason on this. Even though I have limited manual driving experience, I usually drop it into neutral at red lights. There are situations where you should just stay in gear. Each situation warrants a different response.

Ahh btw, automatics ftw!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Yes I will keep it in first gear. Just because a car is in front of you doesn't mean you can't do anything? You just took driver's training....thats the reason they tell you to stop to where you are able to see the tires of the car in front of you touching the pavement...this is a safe distance not only so if you do get rear ended you don't hit them in front of you but you have a path whether that car in front of you becomes disabled (stops running and they can't move it or any other situation that would warrant a response from you) or must make a split section reaction to a situation happening. I pay attention to people behind me and the other thing you learned at driver's ed was that you should create situations that could happen on the road and what you'd do if those possible situations happened in real life.

I'm a seasoned enough driver that I don't need to pay attention to the light when its going to turn green I have a general sense of what every light is going to do while approaching so paying attention to what is going around me is very important especially from the rear. I used to drive commercial boom trucks and knowing what the lights do is vital to driving with loads on the truck. Its fun shifting semi's but it can get old and especially when you have the truck loaded nearly to capacity so shifting is also something you try to stay away from as well as the acceleration is dismal. Although the new mercedes engines we were getting in the newer trucks had wayyy more power than the cat's we were getting...

Old 12-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Aquil check your inbox I PM you.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

k k

Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Let me start by saying this... Jason, I know that at your age you thing you know everything, specially because we think that everything that daddy taught us is correct, but sometimes I would take the advice that these old farts give us.

Second, Quil...we all know you didn't really pay attention in drivers ed, and much less actually remember it. LOL

Ahhh yes, and as for the 1st gear thing, I put it into neutral when I'm at a stop light, and also as I approach a stop sign and put it in first only after I've come to a complete stop. I guess it's the way I do things and I've only replaced the clutch on the Nissan once and I do high rev launches all the time, I'm always racing and I run it hard ALL THE TIME. But that's me, therefore just my opinion.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 AM

Yes Bigdreams thats what I said, and 2nd of all its more comfortable than staying at the stop light till it turns green with the clutch engaged.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Bo PWNS us all.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever...agree to disagree because actually my deductible and all season tires are still cheaper than winter tires...next
Your clutch is going to go out anyways...My escape has over 100k miles and I will always leave it in first gear! In my escape it takes more than ONE SECOND to get it into gear. Once the clutch decides I can put the car into first it would have been too late for me to move...bet hey its just like your argument a clutch replaced would be cheaper than getting rear ended would it not? I bet that could be argued into your favor as well? Is it worth that 1 second or not? Bet I gotcha thinking don't I?

Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  7.4 KB

Hmmmm.........quite a debate going on here.....lol
Common sense id always a good idea, but, wer'e all different and drive differently and have different opinions on everything. Basically you gotta do whatever works for you.

Jim

Old 12-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Jim has put it best, so guys...do it my way and "Lang may yer lum reek".

Old 12-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bojangles seems to make the most sense, though I will probably never buy winter tires, lol.

My manual days were many, and I was trained to use the clutch to get in and out of gear. Of course, I would keep it engaged if I were unsure of something happening around me, but generally I was either in gear, or not. Riding the clutch will shorten the life of the clutch and/or release bearing, as Bojangles said. In short, as he says, use common sense. A rule of sitting in 1st at every stop light seems like needlessly removing judgement from the equation. Just a thought.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Hey bo how do people in canada stop behind you? Half the time not just here in the us its hard to tell if someone is going to stop behind you when they generally wait til the last possible second to do so...

My deductible is cheaper or less expensive than buying a set of tires I'd have to take off and put others back on...not to mention the cost of having them removed and put back on...

snow tires will not be in my future...BTW release bearing still intact!

Quick Reply: Accident!! Near Slid!!!!