X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACM alternate...just thinking out loud...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts
Default ACM alternate...just thinking out loud...

I see that there is an ACM (new in an open box) on eBay...and this got me thinking.

While it would not be quite as convenient as the ACM for interface, don't all of our factory radios support Remote Data? That is the data stream that is sent along with the FM signal from most FM transmitters these days.

If you see the radio station call sign, the song name, the station's phone number, etcetra, in your display, then you have a digital data receiver built right into the thing.

Why can't we simply fit an interface in to send digital data right down that same stream? All we'd need on the radio side is a way to disconnect the external antenna signal when we were using the interface.

Anyway, just thinking out loud.

Got to be the engineer in me talking.

Old 04-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

You are correct, there are a few FM transmitters on the market that connect to the head unit antenna input and make use of RDS data to display song titles etc on the OEM radio, along with FM for audio.

e.g. Audiovox - Driven by DICE Electronics - Universal RDS USB

This unit offers "The completely digital audio circuit is resistant to any other interference and ensures that your music retains it's quality." Not sure if they know FM stereo is analogue though ;-)

Old 04-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

I did just see those...I was thinking more on pumping the signal in a digital, right to the optical convertor...

Can't see the programming job being easy, though I suppose we could use the Dennison interface.

My most logical solution: a new touchscreen unit in the car (I have the standard system)...I don't want to go too crazy. Hell, when the X rots away, I may move to an XJ and solve the problem completely.

Making the cruise control play with the new wheel was a different story...that one I did the brain surgery to accomplish!

Old 04-15-2016, 01:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh, I understand you, put some 1s and 0s into the existing D2B optical system. This would give better sound quality than FM, sending the audio stream directly to the Jaguar's DAC. There is a project running along those lines below. I've not used his kit but it certainly looks promising!

Bluetooth Audio Update for Jaguar Cars

The following users liked this post:
wa3ra (04-15-2016)