X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket nav help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket nav help

I’m starting my install of a poineer AVIC 8200 nav with full stereo upgrade this week and have all of my parts and components laid out on the bench. I like to get a working knowledge of all the adapters, harnesses, etc before I begin soldering and installing. This is what lead me to a problem.

The new unit needs to connect to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) wire to aid in navigation precision. I’ve looked through all of the various needed adapters I have from steering wheel function to rear camera harness, and there is no place the includes it. So, I’m assuming I need to find it and connect it independently from my harnesses. Problem is, I don’t know where to find that wire on my car!?!

Anyone know where I can find the vss wire?? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts
Old 03-19-2018, 03:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Donald, unfortunately, you don't have an option here. The VSS "wire" is really a packet of data that is put on the CAN bus of the car and shared around the vehicle to all the computers. There is no wire that runs from say the ABS unit to the instrument cluster that would have the vehicle speed on it.

With this being said, there should be a module that you can plug into the OBD port that would allow you to pull off the VSS data and then feed that over to the radio. But then, I would try running the radio without the VSS signal and see how "bad" it really is. I don't think you are going to see any real negative effects. Even if the system is off by say 50 feet, I think you can make up that difference when it comes to roads.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 AM

It’s not just for nav function, the pioneer unit also has a speedo gauge as well as a few other gauges that I don’t think will work without it. I’m trying to find a work-around if one is possible. Thanks Thermo.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:29 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Donald, the speed that the vehicle is traveling at can be obtained from the GPS information. Normally they will require a VSS signal to disable any sort of "video in motion" features. They may put it under the disguise of better performance, but ultimately it is a legal issue of a driver watching a video as they are driving and causing a crash. I would try the radio without the VSS signal and see what happens.

Look at it this way, some GPS units tell you how fast the vehicle is going and they have no input from the car.

I double checked the schematics. The ABS unit has no output for VSS signal. It is put on the CAN bus for use. So, as I mentioned before, unless you get a module that plugs into the OBD port to obtain the info that way, you are not going to be able to obtain it. The only other option is to get into the instrument cluster to obtain the signal that drives the speedo. But, odds are, that will not be a useful signal for the radio to use to figure out speed as my experience is that the VSS signal is a variable DC voltage and the instruments use a pulsating signal to drive them (pulse width modulation).

Last edited by Thermo; 03-19-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:46 PM

​Thanks for the help Thermo. If what you’re saying is accurate, and I believe based on your depth of understanding that it is, then I will leave it disconnected. I do know, however, that there are functions within the radio that I will lose, like speed modulating volume control. As far as the digital dashboard gauge display within the Pioneer unit, I’m honestly not sure if the x-type even has the ability to communicate that info to the new HU.

I have the steering wheel function module as well as the wiring harness for the transition from the x-type stereo connector to the new HU, so I’m going to wire it up using all of the functionality that the car offers and see what the outcome is.

Im doing all new components, sub, xm, with a multi-amp setup, so I expect at least a week to complete with the dynomat, wiring, and install etc. I will post my results along with any potential pitfalls I come across for anyone else interested in this type of install. Should be a fun one for sure.