Sponsored by:

air condition odour

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question air condition odour

My X Type is imported from Japan, when turned on, the air conditioning
stinks!!! I assume the Japanese owner was a smoker and smoked in the
car (an absolute no no for me) Can anyone give me some advice as to how to purify the conditioner? I can't even see how to get at it to see if it has
some kind of filter
Lespres

Old 06-28-2012, 07:12 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

lespres, if you open the hood of the car (be standing in front of the car), if you lift up the cowl (where the windshield wipers come through), you will see a filter under there. That is the A/C system filter. You can change that over to a charcoal filter, but odds are, that is not going to help much due to the system downstream of it being "contaminated" with the smoke. But, what you can do is to roll the windows down, turn on the dash blower (set to a manual mode for defrost, setting to a mid range temperature) and then turn on the blower to the fastest speed. Make sure that the recirculation mode is turned off. At this point you can grab a can of say Lysol and spray it into the opening where the filter is (make sure to remove the filter first). This will allow the cleaner/air freshener to make its way through the ventilation system to help pull what it can out. You may find that you will want to also do a very deep cleaning of the carpeting inside the car and to also wipe down every surface of the car possible using a mild detergent in water. Follow this up with a good conditioning of the leather seats (tons of jag owners recommend Connelley's Hide Food, I have use Meguiar's Leather Conditioner with good results too).

What you may also find you will need to do is to simply drive around with the ventilation system blowing air, but also have the windows rolled down too (at a minimum the sun roof open). This will allow the system to naturally work the smoke and whatnot out of the car (solution through dilution). But, if you put the car on recirc, then the smell is just going to remain trapped inside the car.

Hope this all helps.

The following users liked this post:
lespres (06-29-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Once you get the AC odour-free, if you don't use it all the time, it's worth running for a few minutes each at max cold and max hot about once a month to stop any stale smells.

Graham

Old 06-28-2012, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  19.3 KB

+1 on all of the above info.

changing out your filters will certainly help. Some people have been known to use a slight disinfectant solution but there is a product specifically for this made by Comma.............simply put the ca in the rear of the vehicle and activate whilst your A/C is on full at its coldest with recirc on.
This goes through the whole system and leaves a lovely lemon fresh smell.

I use this product maybe once a year just to keep on top of things.

I ALWAYS or at least mostly leave my AC on all the time..............As stated some leave it off or hardly use it at all. This causes a build up of bacteria which thrive on the moist conditions and can smell like rotten eggs / rotten cabbages that sort of smell.

I had an old Mondeo once and I don't think the PO ever used the AC..........I tried all my usual tricks but it wasn't too effective............boy was I ever glad to get rid of that car.

Please try the above and see how you get on

lespres (06-29-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default smelly air

Thanks all, reading the helpful posts got me thinking.
1. the best odour remover i have ever used for anything is white vinegar!
2. The Fix.
I wiped down all interior surfaces whith a rag soaked in white vinegar
steering wheel,facia,door sills.
I then filled a squirty bottle with the vinegar and sprayed interior carpets,
seats and head lining.
I then opened the hood and without removing the filter, sprayed the vinegar liberaly in the area, then with the windows up, started the engine
with a/c on defrost and ran the engine for 10 mins, really sting with vinegar now! Opened the wiindows and ran for another 15 mins, very slight vinegar smell now, went for a run sown to the shops. When I came out and restarted the car, no smells remain, now on 3rd day and still no smells. An easy fix spirited by your advice Thanks
Lespres

MRomanik (07-04-2012)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:57 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Unconventional approach + low cost solution = RESULT

Graham