X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner not working after Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Jdoberman,

Did you ever find a response to this issue?

Thanks,

Clay

Last edited by clsimmon; 11-30-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced the battery, and now I'm having more or less the same issue.

Air blows cold, but only through the defroster vents on top of the dashboard. I can adjust the blower speed on the Nav screen, but selecting the air vents does nothing. Help.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I do know that if you have a battery that is bad (not generating the correct amperage, etc), it will make the AC do some really strange things. I had a bad battery whereby it would not hold a charge if the car sat longer than 2 to 3 days and the AC had very similar symptoms. I disconnected the battery for several hours to reset all the codes (not sure if that really does anything or not but heard it did) and put in a brand new battery (ensure your terminal connections are nice and clean and the additional connections on the terminals should they be corroded - very important as I think this had something to do with mine) and all worked fine after that.

Last edited by clsimmon; 08-22-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:15 PM

Here's what I've tried:

1. Disconnected negative battery terminal for several hours. Reconnected. Everything still functioning as before (e.g. defroster only).

2. Disconnected negative battery terminal. Grounded positive terminal to negative wire to reset ECM and any other electrical modules. Everything still functioning as before.

I removed the glove compartment and observed the servos/actuators which control the blend doors. As far as I can tell, the actuators are functioning (I can see the gear moving on one of them), but I believe that one or more of the blend doors may be stuck inside the system.

So now I'm conflicted. Do I throw in the towel, drive it to the dealer and let them worry about it, or crack it open myself. There is a technical service bulletin from 2004 that describes an issue with the blend doors, but I don't know if the dealer will provide service for a TSB five years after the fact. And although the battery is still under warranty, the vehicle itself is not, so everything from here forward will come out of my pocket.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

That's a problem that I have not heard much, if any, on these cars.

My mom's car (a lincoln LS) did recently have some valving issues in her A/C...left side had cold, right had hot, vice versa, sometimes all hot. I don't know the exact cause, therefore has no value at all to you, but it cost her around $600 for the repair. I can dig around her dealer invoice if you like to see if I can find some details.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:14 PM

Just back from the dealer and here's the diagnosis:

"Accessed multiple low voltage codes fault. Traced and performed battery reset and climate control reset. Tested and now working to Jag specs. Performed battery reset and cleared codes."

So I'm out of pocket $105 for the diagnostics and reset, which in my opinion is a bargain. After all, it is summertime in Texas.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Okay, just how does one do a battery and climate control "reset"? I've never heard of that.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyF6
Okay, just how does one do a battery and climate control "reset"? I've never heard of that.
The guy replace his battery due to it failing. once you turn the key on with a failing battery every module in the car will set a low voltage code. which is cause alot of problems. only jaguar scan tool can clear low voltage codes.

jaguar's need good voltage in order to run all the modules. if there's a low voltage code the module can sometimes works half its true performance output. so battery voltage is very important. and more important in the new xf, xk and 2010 redsign xj

Old 02-28-2017, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ve got an 02 X type. Blower, auto climate ctrl, seem to work but no heat. I recently replaced the thermostat assembly, got a new correct battery. Is there a relationship here? Will a hard reset help?

The X type looks wonderful parked on the street while I drive my rental car to work. It has a viable heater. The Jag does not...

Last edited by Don Long; 02-28-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Make sure your coolant is topped off. My coolant was a little low and heat would only get warm at freeway speed. Added a little coolant and all was fine. If everything is not up to exact spec in these cars they will give all kinds of problems!