Sponsored by:

alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default alignment issue

mornin'
had 2 new tie rod ends installed and a 4 wheel alignment (1 tie rod end was bad, but replaced both)

Now the steering wheel is cocked to the left a small amount when driving in a straight line, and when driving the steering wheel shimmys left and right....this tells me that the alignment is not correct, but i'm only a home mechanic...can a real tech add any input to this?.

tire pressures are 34 in the front and 32 in the rear

Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Go to a real mechanic... for the Wheel Alignment.
Whoever did it - didn't do a proper job, he should have test driven it also.

Good Luck !

Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

iownme, the shimmy that you are feeling is the toe on the front wheels is not correct and the tires are fighting each other. Essentially both wheels are not pointing straight down the road, so, one wheel is having to skip periodically to keep going with the rest of the car. This leads to the shake that you are feeling. If you live with it, then plan on replacing a front tire in the near future as it will wear out the inside edge of the tire. Don't ask how I know.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

No they need to recenter the wheel. And the shimmy can be tire, or other suspension. Possible alignment but not useally the only thing. And might have been there before. But now with new tight tie rods youre gonna get more road feelback through the wheel than with loose wornout tie rods.
Also whos to say that the lower control arm bushings arent broken or bad and did they check for play in ball joints and inner tie rods????????

Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Received 208 Likes on 151 Posts

Possible shifted belt in one tire. Do make sure a real alignment machine is used for the alignment. I have always set the tires pressures to 38 front 35 rear due to tire wear concerns with lower pressures. Also, one of the rear control arms eventually loses a bushing. This feels like a looseness when driving.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member

thanks all, one of the balljoints was recently replaced, the other had no play...the shop i use are "real mechanics" with a "real" alignment rack which was recently recalibrated. They aligned my bosses car yesterday which now drives fine (pulled to the left before)

They did check for play, as i instructed them i didnt want to have an alignment with worn steering/suspension parts as i know a correct alignment cannot be achieved with play in the front end

The tires and rear control arms are also new.

I was taught that a side to side steering wheel shimmy is a front end issue, and that a fore and aft shimmy is a rear wheel issue.

My common sense tells me that an uncentered steering wheel is a toe issue.

The place i use is a small friendly family run business, not interested in fast bucks. Jag goes back in today for them to recheck the alignment, i'll let you know what transpires.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Veteran member

I'm placing money on a front tire being out by 0.2 degrees.

ANy other bets/best guesses? Lets have a little fun at guessing what is wrong.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

well i just got it back...they said they "tweaked" the alignment and it now drives fine...i just drove a few blocks and it feels like the steering wheel is now cocked in the other direction, a longer test drive is now needed (later tonite)

They did not appear to want to discuss the matter...or how they "tweaked" it, so if its not right when i drive it later then i'll have it aligned again at another shop and will quit using these guys, too bad for them...i'm responsible for 7 cars and provide a lot of business...think i'm done with the family run business's...i'll go to a dealershio for further work...at least they listen when a customer has a complaint (usually...lol)

Old 08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Veteran member

iownme, if they "tweaked" the alignment and now the steering wheel is the other way, they are adjusting the tie rods. That really is the only adjustment that affects the steering wheel. The other adjustments affect how the tire sits in relation to the road.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Thermo, i know that. what i meant was they wouldn't give me any details...i.e which wheel was out, in what direction and at what degree....even gave me the "crown of the road explaination"....if i didn't know better i'd suggest their rack was broken and they eyeballed it for $70 :+)
I'm about to test drive it now, will post back shortly

Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

just went to pick up dinner (30mph zone)
steering wheel is now cocked to the right. If driving a straight line and i move the steering wheel to the correct straight ahead position, the cars move into the other lane (left) completely in about 2 seconds.
He assured me that he and his tech took it for a ride and it drove fine...well if thats fine to them, then they lost a customer. I wont even go back to complain.
I have not checked at higher speed for steering wheel shimmy or rough ride, i'll do that tomorrow.
No jag dealer near here, so i'll either drive to one or go a local gmc dealer for another alignment....and i'll insist on a before and after printout

Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar shake, my L rear toe was .22 out of spec. After the alignment, my rear toe is smack in the middle of spec and it rides 100% better. The only issue wa fixing that put the camber further out of negative spec, but handling is fine. My tires will wear like crap, but that is a problem for another day and another post. What were your before/after values on the alignment? I alway get the printout- always gives me fantastic 20/20 hindsight on diagnosing my previous problems.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
just went to pick up dinner (30mph zone)
steering wheel is now cocked to the right. If driving a straight line and i move the steering wheel to the correct straight ahead position, the cars move into the other lane (left) completely in about 2 seconds.
He assured me that he and his tech took it for a ride and it drove fine...well if thats fine to them, then they lost a customer. I wont even go back to complain.
I have not checked at higher speed for steering wheel shimmy or rough ride, i'll do that tomorrow.
No jag dealer near here, so i'll either drive to one or go a local gmc dealer for another alignment....and i'll insist on a before and after printout
This is why theyre SUPPOSED to lock the steering wheel down in the straight ahead position. Without doing this it will **** off center as you adjust the front toe........morons if they didnt catch this

Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

i've quit using these guys now, and will have the car re-aligned this week, nearest jag dealer is about 80 miles, so i'll try a ford or gmc dealership.
I don't know what the alignment specs were/are as i was not told anything about it...just that "the car drives fine now"...B.S....lol

Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Do you not have Tire Marts over there ?
eg: Bob Jane T-Mart is popular over here... (sells only Tires and Alloy Wheels)
and as such - has stores nationwide; OFFICIAL BOB JANE T-MARTS WEBSITE - Buy wheels and tyres from Australia's most trusted retail network

If so, they will do a good job on your car - and for about $45.00. (30 mins)

Good luck !!

Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

no tire marts here LGCI, a local body/alignment shop here always has several police cars in its bays, so i figured they must be pretty reliable/trustworthy, so i've booked it in for an alignment next thursday

Old 08-31-2011, 08:21 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Don't be surprised if they tell you that the rear suspension can't be brought
into alignment because of the worn rear control-arm bushings problem.
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 08-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

pab...i replaced the rear control arms

Old 08-31-2011, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
i've quit using these guys now, and will have the car re-aligned this week, nearest jag dealer is about 80 miles, so i'll try a ford or gmc dealership.
I don't know what the alignment specs were/are as i was not told anything about it...just that "the car drives fine now"...B.S....lol
I went to an alignment shop with the trick digital alignment rack. My alignment was a mile out, didn't pull but the steering wheel like you was cocked to the right by 10 degrees, if I ran it straight it changed lanes.

Very odd wear pattern too, ran the right front to the cords and then leaked all the air out.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Brutal have spoken to you in the past and would like to thank you for all your straight up help.

My issue now is excessive inside tire wear on the 2 front tires.

Car info = 04 jag xtype 2.5 90k mi //
tires = 225/30zr/20 20" wheels.

Alignment issue?
Negative camber?
Toe in/out?
Worn control arm bushings?
Is the dealer the only option for the alignment?
What is the approx. cost of just the alignment?
Thanks in advance...David

Quick Reply: alignment issue