X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment Problems

I've had my car lowered. So when I take it to the dealer they can't perfectly align my car. My tires are wearing out on the inside every year and a half. It's getting expensive. Is there any type of camber adjustment or anything I can do? I'm debating on taking the lowering kit off if I can't find a fix since tires are getting expensive.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiffler4774
I've had my car lowered. So when I take it to the dealer they can't perfectly align my car. My tires are wearing out on the inside every year and a half. It's getting expensive. Is there any type of camber adjustment or anything I can do? I'm debating on taking the lowering kit off if I can't find a fix since tires are getting expensive.
I noticed no one is giving you a reply, so I will tell you alittle bit of what I know. We had an old truck that was lowered, example Low Rider. I was taking some mechanic classes, and was told by the instructer that the car needed new tires to be aligned and some spacers. What we ended up doing was having custome spacers for the car so it does not hit the inside of the wheel. You may have to research in Low Rider shops or sites to get this fixed. They charged us $ 500 for the custom spacers and alignment. The car is fixed know and the tires do not hit. You may have to go to a Low Rider Shop and not a Jaguar Dealer, it's not there specialty. My 2 cents since no one is replying.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Stiffler, how far off is the alignment on your car? Unfortunately, Jaguar does not build in any adjustments for the most part when it comes to wheel alignment. So, you are looking at new parts and if that doesn't fix it, you are out of luck.

Now, with that being said, I am doing some research and possibly with your help, we can come up with a viable fix for you. if you are close and are only say a degree to the bad, then you can spend some money on what are called camber alignment bolts. These have an offset center on the bolt and after installing them, by rotating the bolt, you can alter the alignment some. Then, once you get the bolt where it needs to be, you tighten down the nut and it will hold the bolt in place. You would need some 12MM bolts of this sort.

Now, where you are probably running into the biggest problem is in the rear. IN your case, you are probably in the neighborhood of 2-3 degrees off (at a guess). WHile I haven't checked the dimensions of the parts, you may want to look into a new upper control arm. These are good for a -1/+5 degree adjustment. The part I am talking about is something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...Q5fAccessories.

Strength wise, you should be good as the vehicles that can use this part are of similar weight to the X-Type. The big issue is how the spacing is from end to end. The joints are the correct design, so, as long as the length is good, it would bolt into our cars.

Please do not take what I am saying here as gospel. I am still researching this and can't garantee any sort of fix or the longevity of the parts. If you are willing to experiment some, I will help you out.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the alignment specs jaguar gave me after they said that it was the closest to spec they could get. I am not too familiar with alignment so I will post if it would help or make any sense to you.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Jaguars alignment specs have a very big tolerance (i.e. in-tolerance range)
Not sure about changes re lowering but inside tyre wear is brought up on a lot of forums and it happened on my ex 3.0 AWD X-type.
What I did was have the front alignment set to virtually straight ahead which vastly improved the inside edge wear there.
Good luck

Old 10-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In particular the right camber is a know problem that Jaguar has given little tolerance too as they feel it compensates for road drift. Is it the right camber that is out? If so a simple fix is shifting the subframe... unfortunately Jaguar has no adjustments possible for this outside of moving the subframe.... so is my experience.