X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

all speakers stopped working!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation all speakers stopped working!!

today all 6 of my speakers stopped working. I do not have the premium sound system. Just the nav with the ACM unit in the arm rest. After they stopped working, they did come back on for about 5 minutes. i had to shut the car off to get gas. when i started the car again, they were dead.

I noticed the ipod does not pick up the car. the ipod used to say "Jaguar" on the ipod screen when i plugged the ipod into the car.

the nav screen does display all of the audio options like radio, cd, am, fm, ect... the volume is also displayed on the screen yet no sound comes out.

I have checked fuse number F20 (i saw this while i was searching the post) but it is fine.

Any ideas what to check. one thing i remember is that the passenger door was slammed while the car was off right before the speakers stopped working.

help???

Old 09-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

no one?? is there a tech in the house?

Old 09-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Were you doing anything in the trunk or loaded a lot of stuff back there? There may be other fuse, sorry I can't direct you on where. I have a diagram of the fuse boxes, i'll look and get back to you.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, this sounds like the fiber optic loop possibly is disconnected and since the Ipod doesn't show Jaguar anymore, I bet that is where it's disconnected. There is basically a fiber optic in and out on each component of the Jag audio system and if that loop is disconnected, you'll have no audio signal. The fiber loop has white clips that snap into the components. If whoever put your ACM in didn't snap it in all the way, it may have come loose over time and the slamming of the door was enough of a rattle to move it just enough to disconnect the signal (which in the case of fiber, is just a beam of light). It may be close enough to being connected that I wonder if driving over bumps will make the speakers work for a second or two? Or, it could be the ACM module has gone bad. I have heard they occasionally have some issues (and in fact are being re-designed right now).

Anyway, I'd start by checking the connections on everything. Unfortunately, to check the ACM, you may have to take out the console. I don't know exactly where they mount them on installation but can tell you that if you take the side carpeted pieces off the console, you have access to mostly everything under the center console. look for two black cables side by side with a white clip. Make sure it's pushed into the ACM all the way. Check the cd player (if you have one in the trunk, as well). If those are all connected well, then check you may have to check the back of the radio itself which is very easy to take out in the X-type.

Good luck
Paul

Old 09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member

is there a fiber optic loop in the doors also?

Old 09-30-2009, 08:25 PM

No. Only line level wires go to the doors.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

i pulled out the head unit and checked the connections on the back for all wires. i checked the connection near the break pedal. i checked the connection in the trunk at the nav head unit. all 6 speakers are still not making any noise. i did notice that yesterday the speakers came on for 1/2 second but then went back off.

i do not have the premium sound system, is there and amp for the speakers somewhere?

this is driving me nuts! i have no sound with any input... radio, cd, and iPod are all dead.

What can it be???

Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Did you find the ACM connection?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 PM

get any speaker and plug it into a front door and see if it works, when go buy new speakers.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 PM

If you don't have premium sound, then the head unit powers the speakers. If you did have premium sound, the amp would be in the trunk behind the navigation unit mounted on the inside quarter panel.

When the sound came on for a 1/2 second yesterday, did you happen to notice if it was after you hit a bump in the road?

Also, were you able to check the connections at the ACM unit under the center console? My hunch is that's where the problem is.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

the acm unit runs right into the head unit. i checked the connections there and they were fine. remember that the radio or cd player will not make the speakers work as well.

when the sound cut on for 1/2 second (which happened twice) once was while stopped at a stop light and the second time was while making a long sharp right hand turn on an exit ramp from the highway.

from what i see the fiber optic runs from the head unit to the rear of the trunk to the nav head unit. the acm plugs directly into the head unit at the top into some small box. i think its the same box the fiber optics run to.

what fusses might come into play here?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:11 AM

It doubt it's a fuse. If it was, that half second that the speakers came back on would have never happened. It has to be a loose connection somewhere. Wish I knew the answer.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

update: I took the head unit back out. i unplugged every connection from the hvac, radio, and nav. i then started plugging them in one by one. i plugged everything in and it worked! I figured it must have just been something not connected all the way. I put the head unit back in and started the car... Nothing! No sound!

I pulled the head unit back out. I then unplugged everything and plugged it back in again. This time I did not plug in the Fiber Optic to the radio. It worked. It still works. My nav has no audio and the acm has no audio either.

It must be a short or a broken fiber optic. Tomorrow I am going to trace the fiber optics and try and pin point it. So far so good.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

What a PITA - hope you figure it out. The fiber optics can be broken and it is very hard to find the break in some cases. Look for wires that perhaps have a kink in them or make a hard turn instead of a gentle curve.