X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator going bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alternator going bad

Well, I am not sure what to believe here, after spending a nice 1,100 dollars at the dealer last week to get a new brake caliper (600 bucks) and new e brake cables (285) and some fluids,after they had my car for 3 days (awesome) Ireceived a service report. The service advisor told me that my alternator was on its way out. He said that instead of charging at 14.5 volts it was charging at 13.2 volts (or something similar to that it was a minute difference) he then said that my battery was on its way out and one of the terminals was leaking acid. He then proceeds to tell me that in order to have the alternator replaced its going to cost me 999.99 dollars!!!!!!!!

My question is, is it really that comprehensive to replace the alternator? I found a duralast alternator for 150 so its really hard to believe that its going to cost 750 in labor to say the least.

Question two is, wouldnt a bad battery effect the output reading of the alternator?
Thanks for the help

Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Default RE: Alternator going bad

13.2 volts is fine if the alternator and ecu sees tha the batttery is fully charged.I have watched many on the gauges and can tell you that someone probobly doesnt know how to diag. First Xtype Jag batteries are notorious for cracking at the case at the neg term. second the positive and negative terminals go bad alot on this car, positive normally when it gets hot, resistance goes up and the voltage from the alt doesnt fully reach the battery(big misdiag here) its when the output goes into the 12volt range you need to worry, and although we do replace a couple, Ill say that again couple of alt, the biggies are batts and cable. With the engine hot use a mutlimeter and check the voltage at the battery terminal on the alt, now ck the batt postive terminal and read output, if theres more than a .2volt diff replace the cables. Again if you monitor voltages enough youde know that 13.2 volts depending on battery charge is ok. If you turn on flashers lights radio, fan on high and it goes below 13 volts with good cables then you need an alt. oh and you monitor voltage in the message center by holding in the trip switch, start the car dstill pressing it in, it goes into guage testing and then cycle the switch till its reads battery voltage on the display, and BTW, if the ecu detects that the alt isnt putting out whant it expects to see its turns on the batt light on the dash

Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The Jag alternator volts ranges from 15V (when you first start it up) to 13.1. I had mine charging at 12.89 volts at times. The amps are a different story, but i have a funny feeling the alternator is putting out the correct amps. If it is in that volt range I wouldn't be too concerned. However, I would check the battery out, if the batter is leaking acid and corrosion is building up around the terminal and across the terminals, you're asking for trouble, this is creating resistance and it will fry you battery and alternator.

My suggestions is: Do you recall when the battery was last replaced? If it is more than 4 years old...it needs to be replaced, if it is newer, i would start with cleaning the terminals and ensuring they are clean and acid free....you baking soda and a good brush.

As for a replacement, you're better off looking for the parts yourself, a good parts store or on-line. You'll be able to find a new alternator for under 200. Unfortunately, installing the alternator is a chore and i believe the engine has to be raised....so if you don't have a garage, you'll be paying labor.....

good luck

Old 11-13-2008, 04:13 AM

I am going to replace the battery today. I have noticed however, not sure its related though, that my digital odometer keeps flashing on occasion (it will dim, then lighten up again but not completely go out) and the hvac controls will flash, such as the temp buttons and flow direction but not theclimate control screen or radio. Its weird I know, probably the beginning of more electrical gremlins to come.

I do not have a battery light come on but I do get an intermittent check engine light, the dealer said that it could be a result of thealternator going badand that it will sometimethrow random codes. The code, which he did not specify andjust stated that itwas for the cat converter. In my experience cars with less than 100k rarely have cat converter problems. My car has 61k miles on it.The light will go on, then go off after about 4-6 engine cycles. So who knows.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:05 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup..it's the Battery, can't blame that on Jaguar..

Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 AM

if your getting a cat code, have them replace it while youre still under the 8/80 emmission warranty, and no a weak battery, and or alt. will never throw that code, it throws low battery voltage codes in random modules, thats not a random code, oh and we put more cats in Xtype than all other models combined, they seem to be especially tempramental of misfires and lean engine faults from vac. leaks causing cat problems down the road. I dont know if it because we have more customers that let X types go before they repair them or what, but thats just 1 thing that seems to stick out, especially since theyre the hardest cats to change too

Old 11-14-2008, 02:58 AM

Its been my experience that if a cat code pops up, its usually a bad o2 sensor. Would this not be the case? How many cats does the x-typehave? I have yet toget under thecar. Also,the light will come on randomly...so who knows, it seems that if i leave it in a lower gear (i have a 5spd) for a little too long it will trip the light.

If the cat itself is bad the dealer must replace free of charge correct? I thought it has something to do with federal emissions act.?

Thank you all for your help

Old 11-14-2008, 03:13 AM

I was not blaming it on Jag, just asking a question. If the alternator ***** the bed, then I will be cursing.

The battery needed to be replaced anyway just didnt know if the odometer was related to everything else.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:14 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't say YOU were...I'm just saying that, JAG didn't make the battery and you (meaning, I'm generalizing about anybody) can't blame quality of that part on them..other than they selected the battery to put in.......

But YOU dohave a low opinion of Jaguar..
I have owned all types of vehicles, ranging from low brow to top drawer. I had the opportunity to purchase an S-type and a XJ. The Nikasil (sp) problem in the XJ is a fatal flaw, the S-type has numerous engineering flaws mostly drive line related. (no wonder it was discontinued)I figured the X-type was a minimal investment with the most potential. I bought my car with 30k on the clock. I was the second owner, and I have since put another 30k on it. For a car with such fairly low mileage, it should not be exhibiting such problems. I properly maintain my vehicle but i am convinced it wont last 100k. A testament to jaguars engineering.

I like jaguars, but feel that more emphasis was placed on styling than on mechanical reliability which, unfortunately has almost bankrupted the company. The only thing more unreliable than a jag is a land rover.

When my Battery was dying the dash board lights did strange stuff too..a new battery fixed it all..hope that's the case for you.

Thereare two CATS

Old 11-14-2008, 09:13 AM

ORIGINAL: bojangles

I dont understand why a dealer would read a Cat code on a car under warranty and send the customer away???
It makes no sense. For them it is good business to do warranty work.
SEVERAL REASONS, 1 CODES DOES GET ERONEOUSLY TRIPPED ON MISFIRES, ACTUALLY NOT ERRONEOULSY, IT JUST CANT keep up with high emmisons from misfires and keep it clean enough to not trip the code. 2 I personally dont replace a cat for 1 code 1 time until it repaeats because of previously mention item. 3, if you go to work today, and work 8 hours, but yet Ill pay you for 3, would you come back tommorrow? welcome to warranty! So before I condemn a part as bad that I know Ill spend a bunch of time to replace for alot less money(time) I want to make sure it is definitly bad, ie repaeats, and no this is not the case with all parts or issues, but with cats on an Xtype yes, cause when Jaguar sends the parts they get on warranty return back to the manufacturer( you know Jaguar doesnt make parts right?) and the manufacturer of the part test said part and finds no fault with it, they charge Jaguar back for the part and repair, and Jaguar does likewise to the dealer...ok enough time on this topic time for me to get back to work....later, see ya next break