Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Default Another alloy wheel refurb!

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  7.4 KB

Alloys refurbed[/b]
[/b]
Well, I finally got the alloys that I bought off Ebay and am just about to start the refurb on them.
The set of 4 were in fairly good condition with some light scuff marks here n there and some of the paint was beginning to bubble too. As you will see the tyres are in pretty good condition with a decent amount of tread left.

Inside of Wheel cleaned too
Name:  insideofwheelcleaned.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  71.6 KB

Wheel cleaned showing damage
Name:  wheelcleanedshowingdamage.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  65.2 KB

Wheel cleaned showing tread
Name:  wheelcleanedshowingtread.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  71.3 KB

These are the products I used[/b]
[/b]

Name:  productsused.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  67.7 KB

2 – Halfords grey primer
2 – Simoniz 5 Wheel Silver acrylic paint
2 – Halfords Clear lacquer
2 – Nitromors All Strip Mousse
2 – Rolls of masking tape
1 – Loctite professional body filler
1 – Halfords Wet n dry 120 grit coarse
1 – Halfords Wet n dry 800 grit fine
1 – Oakey Between coats contour sanding pads ( medium + fine )

Total cost £56.85 to do all 8 wheels[/b]
[/b]
I decided against taking the tyres off the rims mainly to save time. So, I spent quite some time using the masking tape and some bin liners to mask off the rim from the tyre ( quite effective it seems too )

Wheel masked ready for Nitromors
Name:  wheelmaskedreadyfornitromors.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  72.2 KB
Then, the time saving technique. I applied the Nitromors mousse to the rims to remove the paint , lacquer as much as possible. The biggest problem with the rims seems to be the paint bubbling everywhere. So rather than sand, sand, sand I sprayed on and left overnight for it to do its job.
The nitromors worked well on the bubbling paint and stripped it right back, however, it was overkill really and I don’t know if I’d go down that route again!
Turns out I’m quite lucky really as the rims only had slight scuff marks and no REAL damage, so filler, it seems is not going to be needed. That can go back and save me around £10
After the nitromors did its job it was time to use the Wet n Dry 120 coarse grit. It took a while but seems well worth the effort. Then a quick going over with the Wet n Dry 800 fine grit, followed by fine contours sanding pad.
Masked them up all over again and applied 2 coats of primer, leaving around 30 mins between coats. It recommends 15 mins minimum so I just gave it a little longer to be sure.

2nd coat primer
Name:  2ndcoatprimer.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  61.5 KB

2nd coat primer detail
Name:  2ndcoatprimerdetail.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  54.6 KB

Its taken about a day and a half to get to this stage.
Hopefully over the next few days I'll have the time to apply the paint finish as well as the lacquer.
I've ordered some new dust valve caps to go with the "new" rims.
I'm thinking about new wheel studs and centre caps too? I'll sleep on that though!
Once these are done and on the car I'm going to take the other set off and do those as well.
I'm going to have a full size alloy spare instead of the space saverwhich will be going up for sale on Ebay, and possibly keep one of the others as another spare.
That'll leave me 2 refurbed alloys with decent tyres on to sell on Ebay. With a little luck I'll get most of my money back and it wont have cost me a penny!

More to follow -

Jim

Old 09-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: Another alloy wheel refurb!

That really makes difference !
I think you are world's # 1 carpenter .... Carpenter ???? Oh yes correcting wood refurbisher ,what ? wood ? what wood ?
Wheel refurbisher
As much as you're a super mod you'renaturallygifted at such DIY jobs

Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 425

Lol......not really Caddie, but thanks anyway buddy.
Lets just wait n see how they turn out first, still quite a bit to do.

Jim

Old 09-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

My pleasure dear mod
So, next thread painting the leather lol

Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice to see how another member does it.
As you've said its a easier when there is no damage to the rims (unfortunately mine lost an argument with a kerb or two so the rims were damaged on a few of them).
I hadnt even heard of the mousse to strip back the paint when I did mine for the ones that werent kerbed.Seems like a real time saver.
Good luck with the painting and lacqueringstage which I found to be the trickiest part (temp,preciuos effort,dust,wind,humidity can all effect the result) and dont forget to sand the primer smooth and clean well before painting.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 444

Thanks Buck.
I've just finished the 2nd coat of silver alloy paint and although they look pretty good I'm nowhere near 100% satisfied with them.
However, I'm gonna carry on and lacquer them and fit them onto the car as soon as possible. The reason for the rush is that one of the wheels on the car is slightly buckled and causing vibration thru the steering. I want to get this off the car ASAP as its the wifes daily driverThis will allow me to get the original set off, which, when done,will be perfect. I will be taking my time with these and have learned that the key is in the preparation ( no doubt about it )
The tryes will be comming off the rims this time too for sure
These babies will be sanded down to a smooooth finish from starting the process right thru to the end.
I reckon that once these replacements have been lacquered and fitted to the car though that they will look good, just not as good as I want them to be.
Then when I have refurbed the originals at my leisure and to my complet satisfaction, the replacements will be back off and redone to perfection.
Anyway
Heres a couple of pics of two of the wheels with their 2nd coat of silver alloy paint for you to judge.
Name:  2ndcoatsilverA.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  2ndcoatsilver.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  73.6 KB

I suppose you really have to imagine them on the car c/w centre caps and wheels blackened to complete the picture though!
Jim

Old 09-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 411

Well guys, I've just finished the lacquer coat on the rims and they're about ready to fit onto the X.
I gotta say that I'm not at all happy with the way that they turned out, but, in my defence, its been a rush job while doing tooo many other things.
I'm gonna go ahead and fit them, they will look great from about 2 feet away, so they'll do for the time being.
It'll allow me to get the good rims off and really do a number on them 150% on these babies. Once completed, they'll go back on and the replacements will be revisited and done properly, however long it takes.
I'll take pictures when they're on the car if I get the chance.
Just dont be too hard on me boys[&:]
Its been a learning experience, thats the good thing about it

Jim

Old 09-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

WOW! Supermod FTMFW! I'm sure if you're not 100% satisfied, then there is a good reason for it, but nothing beats hands-on experience! Great job though!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 431

Well, got the wheels finished and on the car todayand the originals off the car and the tyres off the rims as well
Got them home and immediately cleaned them very thoroughly inside n out and them got the 120 grit coarse wet n dry to work, followed by the 800 grit fine and then the contours fins sanding pads to finish. I did 3 out the 4 which took around 3 hours or so and they are 100% smooth and look great ata this stage.
I wasn't too happy with the alloy silver used on the ones just done so tomorrow I am going for Wurth Silver wheel paint ( 3 coats)which is a much better match I think, to be followed by Wurth High Gloss clear lacquer (3 coats) These will be predeeeded by at least 2 coats of primer finished off with the fine contours sanding pads.
I cant wait as these are going to be stunning when finished

Jim

Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

Dear mod , you're trully a super mod ! I didn't know you've a university for such ordeal jobs . University ? What was that ? Oh ok , faculty for such jobs

Old 09-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 442

Caddie....I dont know if thats a compliment or an insult....lol
Either way......you kill me man, you really do.
Your a star

Jim

Old 09-25-2007, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

Dear mod, you can take it as a compliment . Whoever insults or says bad things about you gets a ............... by me .
LOL, I am a star ? Like what ? Northstar ,Hollywood Star , Watch star ? ( I have no idea about this lol )

Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 428

Here are some pics of the refurbished alloys on the X. I gave her a good clean today and she was lookin good so I thought I'd take em as I said I would
Name:  onthecar3.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  85.2 KB
Name:  onthecar2.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  59.6 KB
Name:  onthecar1.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  75.1 KB

Jim

Old 09-25-2007, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know you worked really hard on the wheels, but your center caps look awesome...mine didnt look that new when i first got the x. good work supermod

Old 09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

In addition, lug nuts, valve stem caps too look brill !

Old 09-25-2007, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 438

These are the ones I have on my A6 and what I am gonna fit onto the X when the original alloys have been refurbed, claipers repainted and lacquered, hubs painted and wheel wells cleaned.
I really wanted to fit Jaguar as that is what I have on there at the moment, but, they're all green leapers. I really want sumthin to match the colour of the car.

Name:  scotlandVC.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  10.8 KB

Jim

Old 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 434

Ordered my Wurth silver alloy paint and High Gloss lacquer today, should be here tomorrow hopefullyalong with their brand of primer.
I sanded down the last of the original Sport alloys tonight and filled " the chasm" that had been taken out of it when the kerb attacked the car while the wife was driving[&:]
Soooo unbelievably smoooooth.............unlike my hands....lol
Cant wait[sm=happy046.gif][sm=happy046.gif]
I intend to prime n sand prime n sand followed by paint n sand paint n sand, and yes ( you guessed it ) lacquer n sand lacquer n sand. These babies will be perfect.
I am also gonna repaint the calipers and lacquer them too as well as the hub which is in a pretty horrible condition.
All being well I'd also like to clean the wheel wells as thoroughly as possible and then finish by adding the valve caps as per previous reply.

Jim

Old 09-26-2007, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking good, but hate to point out the obvious mate.
Name:  onthecar2.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  65.0 KB

Old 09-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 442

Nice one Biggie......I was wonderin who would be the first to spot it?
Only on for five minutes and she's done it already.......If it weren't a temp job I swear I would done time for her...lol

Anyways onto much much better news
All my paint, lacquer n primer arrived from Wurth earlier today so I managed to get back onto the original rims
Wait till you see these results..........I think, they are absolutely awesome, as good as new, literally.
I'm not the best at these sorta repairs I will admit, but if I had to give anyone any advice on doing this job it would be this.
Sand, sand, sand and sand again....preparation will determine how good the outcome is.
Buy Wurth products as they are an almost identical match for original, they may be more expensive,but certainly worth it at the end of the refurb
Checking on the web I found the primer was around £7 and the lacquer and the paint £10 each. I contacted Wurth UK direct and they supplied me them for £5 each.....result!!!!
2 coats of primer on each wheel 30 mins drying time between each coat, followed by 2 coats of paint 1 hour between each coat. 2nd coat will be left to harden overnight, then I will follow with 2-3 coats of lacquer.
I swear to god my mouth is almost watering at the results
See below painted wheels still to be lacquered....150% improvement on previous refurb!

Products used!
Name:  P1010010.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  74.2 KB

This is the worst wheel that had a major chunk sliced outta it by the kerb she hit!
Name:  P1010009.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  62.6 KB
Name:  P1010007-1.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  66.0 KB
Name:  P1010005-1.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  62.7 KB

Anyone wants Wurth products details listed below.
Highly recommended

Wurth UK Ltd
1 Centurion way
Erith
Kent
DA18 4AE
Tel 08705 987841
www.wurth.co.uk

Now, I cant wait to apply the lacquer and get the other rims off, calipers painted and wheel weels cleaned ( If I have time ) and these beauties back on the car

Jim

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-15-2014)

Quick Reply: Another alloy wheel refurb!