X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another example

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile another example

I was doing some errands today, traveling 25mph and I hit a bump in the road, nothing big just a bump. The passenger side defroster vent cover popped off. According to the service records I have back in 05 both of these vents were replaced due to the fact they kept on coming off. This is the third or fourth time this has happened however the entire vent came off this time. Another great example of great workmanship. Tomorrow I going down to the Mercedes dealer with my son. I called them and they have a S550 on sale, it is a 09 with 30K miles.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

a 1/2 inch of 2 sided 3m tape is a whole lot chesper than a German car which has more Lucas made components than an Jaguar made after 1996. Oh and British cars shed unneeded parts in an attempt to keep the weight down. I need to use more thread locker on my TVR then any motorcycle I ever bought, otherwise the bolts simply rattle themselves out.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I was doing some errands today, traveling 25mph and I hit a bump in the road, nothing big just a bump. The passenger side defroster vent cover popped off. According to the service records I have back in 05 both of these vents were replaced due to the fact they kept on coming off. This is the third or fourth time this has happened however the entire vent came off this time. Another great example of great workmanship. Tomorrow I going down to the Mercedes dealer with my son. I called them and they have a S550 on sale, it is a 09 with 30K miles.
Hey Adam

I hate to say it but you might be right. It seems like youi're driving around waiting for the next shoe to drop. I drove a leased Merc for 6 months, had to get out of it because like the Taurus it does everything well, but was way too vanilla for me to drive. You might have a Friday car, built late in the afternoon. I've never experienced half of what you talk about. The only fitment issue I have seen is the surround on my glovebox latch is broke. No doubt because some dork pulled too hard on a locked latch. But as far as vents etc. I think I'd need a screwdiver to get mine out.

Sorry man, hope you get what you're looking for.

Old 10-23-2010, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

So, you will be buying W221 S550 ? That's a great step forward
That's shame you should have never experienced a popping vent issue anymore after replacements

Old 10-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A 2009 S550 probably goes for around $65K here in DC. That's a whole different class of car. In fact the S550 is exactly the opposite of an x type in the type of car it is.

Fwiw, you could get a Range Rover for that price and probably enjoy it as much....if you like Range Rovers that is or AWD is an important criterion for you along with high end luxury.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:43 AM
ud

Originally Posted by cadillac
That's shame you should have never experienced a popping vent issue anymore after replacements
I think it might have something to do with the different materials used for the defrost vent and the dash as far as expansion and contraction goes. Mine popped up, until I used some tape to hold it down. Honestly, if that's the only real problem you've had Adam, you need an Acura or Lexus not anything from Europe. An S550 will have many of the same issues that plague your X type or any other Jaguar. Good luck with the shopping!

Old 10-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, my vent covers keep popping off to, but im actually looking at a Audi S4 quattro instead.

still gonna keep the X-type.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Smile No problem today

I actually drove down to the Mercedes dealer and back with no problems, nothing popping off, the doors unlocked and the radio turned off. Wow what a day.

The S550 is a really nice car but at $79K I think I'll pass, as it is a giant car and handles like a giant. One nice feature it stops itself automatically. Just press the brake pedal once and the car will stop if it needs too, Also, the cruise control is proactive, slows and speeds up on its own.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I actually drove down to the Mercedes dealer and back with no problems, nothing popping off, the doors unlocked and the radio turned off. Wow what a day.

The S550 is a really nice car but at $79K I think I'll pass, as it is a giant car and handles like a giant. One nice feature it stops itself automatically. Just press the brake pedal once and the car will stop if it needs too, Also, the cruise control is proactive, slows and speeds up on its own.
A 2008 S550 with 20k miles is available for $55k at Rosenthal Jaguar, right around the corner from where I live it may be worthwhile to get to DC...if you want a low mileage S550.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Common problem and I have done HUNDREDS of these repairs. All cars have common design faults, some more than others and some more fatal than others. That is what TSBs and recalls are for!!!!!!

bob gauff

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT412-01.pdf (117.4 KB, 192 views)
Old 10-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

You have a Jaguar introductory level car that is about 6 years old and you cannot compare it to the TOP level Mercedes that is 2 years old. In the early '70s I had a 1958 MGA and I bought a 1966 'E'Type Jag. I did not compare the two as they were different cars. One was a low/medium powered sports car and the other a relatively high powered GT. If you had an XJ or XF sedan you might make the comparison but not an all wheel drive Mondeo.

bob gauff

Old 10-24-2010, 02:23 PM
Smile Vent covers

Originally Posted by benebob
I think it might have something to do with the different materials used for the defrost vent and the dash as far as expansion and contraction goes. Mine popped up, until I used some tape to hold it down. Honestly, if that's the only real problem you've had Adam, you need an Acura or Lexus not anything from Europe. An S550 will have many of the same issues that plague your X type or any other Jaguar. Good luck with the shopping!
I used some Loctite "crazy glue" to glue the vent cover down. Loctite makes one in a container with a long neck, so it is easy to get into tight places. I've had more than my share of quality problems with this car, doors not unlocking when you pull the handle, the rears unlocked not the front. The radio not turning off even with the engine off. Back up sensors that work now and then, but never got a fault beep like the owners manual said should happen it they are faulty. Center ash try doesn't open unless you force it open, my mechanic is taking the car this week, he was supposed to take it last week but got busy, to check out the suspension, as there are some strange noises coming from underneath. However, the car runs great and handles great and has a nice feel to the inside. As I said in another post these X's are not luxury cars, they are nicely equipped sport sedans. I've owned plenty of luxury cars in my time, so I do know the difference. But ever since these cars came out I loved the looks. I had English cars in my youth, a 59 MGA and a Austin Healy 3000, even back then then had electrical gremlins, One thing about the healy it started when the temps went below 40 degrees F, the MGA didn't unless I put a heating blanket over the engine at night.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:32 PM
Smile Vents

Originally Posted by benebob
I did own an Acura for a year it was a 96 Intregra GSR. Very quick, nimble and good on gas, the fit and finish however was just OK. Got stolen while me and my wife were at the movies. Then I bought a BMW and after that a Mercedes Benz, after that which I had for 8 years and only, beside regular maintenance, had it in the shop twice for repairs, once for a cup holder recall and the second to replace the crankcase sensor. I also owned an Audi A6 in the mid 90's Never had a problem with it, Also a SAAB, which I never had a problem with. A Porsche Carrera, which I had I problem with, a engine cold start sensor. Had a few American cars, Mustangs, GTO's Buick, Pontaic, ChevyII SS, which was a fast car. As was the GTO. But in my old age this X Type is fine for me, if only things would stop falling off and things worked right. 7 years old or not.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Smile S550

Originally Posted by aluni2230
A 2008 S550 with 20k miles is available for $55k at Rosenthal Jaguar, right around the corner from where I live it may be worthwhile to get to DC...if you want a low mileage S550.
No thank but thanks for the tip, they are really big cars and handle like a really big car, also my insurance would probably double and the X is a nice car, it really is for a nicely appointed sport sedan.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Smile Audi

Originally Posted by ekrainey
Hmmm, my vent covers keep popping off to, but im actually looking at a Audi S4 quattro instead.

still gonna keep the X-type.
I had an Audi A6 Quattro, one of the best cars I've owned in the 3 years I had it, I never had it in the shop for anything else than maintenance service.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Smile TSB question

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Common problem and I have done HUNDREDS of these repairs. All cars have common design faults, some more than others and some more fatal than others. That is what TSBs and recalls are for!!!!!!

bob gauff
Are TSB free repairs or does the owner have to pay for them?

Old 10-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Smile Answer

Originally Posted by cadillac
Smart answer

Old 10-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How about a toyota....

Old 10-24-2010, 05:01 PM
ud

I used some Loctite "crazy glue" to glue the vent cover down. Loctite makes one in a container with a long neck, so it is easy to get into tight places. I've had more than my share of quality problems with this car, doors not unlocking when you pull the handle, the rears unlocked not the front. The radio not turning off even with the engine off. Back up sensors that work now and then, but never got a fault beep like the owners manual said should happen it they are faulty. Center ash try doesn't open unless you force it open, my mechanic is taking the car this week, he was supposed to take it last week but got busy, to check out the suspension, as there are some strange noises coming from underneath. However, the car runs great and handles great and has a nice feel to the inside. As I said in another post these X's are not luxury cars, they are nicely equipped sport sedans. I've owned plenty of luxury cars in my time, so I do know the difference. But ever since these cars came out I loved the looks. I had English cars in my youth, a 59 MGA and a Austin Healy 3000, even back then then had electrical gremlins, One thing about the healy it started when the temps went below 40 degrees F, the MGA didn't unless I put a heating blanket over the engine at night.
Yours must have been a Friday car from the sounds of it. I've only had one thing break on mine and that was my wife's fault. Unless you want to count a new battery in there.

Can't disagree with ya about the X type being nothing more than a basic 3 series or Audi, it isn't a lux car at all but it is nice enough my wife prefers driving it to her XJR. Sucks for me I'm stuck driving the XJR when I need a dry warm cockpit.