Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another example

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
Interesting, I once dumped the clutch on a Austin Healy I had 40 plus years ago, broke the rear axle.
A friend of mine had an Austin Healy, and did the popular in the 70s thing of dumping a V8 into it. Kept the rear axle because he wanted the knock off wire wheels but added a posi unit to the rear end.

He was driving down the street and geared down and tromped on the gas and tore out every spoke in the wheels.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TR-6s suffer from bad differential mounting points. Of course, they are independently sprung rear axles so the "pumkin" is bolted to the frame. Since the shaft turns clockwise, the right hand mounts snap away from the frame. To repair that without removing the body, you've got to cut holes in the trunk to gain access to the mounts from above.

When I restored mine, while the body was off, I welded extra thick steel gussets around the entire box frame area to be sure that never happened to me.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile V8 Engine

I had a friend back in the 60's who dumped a V8 Ford in a AH. The second day he had it running he went a bit too fast and flipped it. He almost killed himself and his brother.