X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any advise on installing grills... racerX

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default any advise on installing grills... racerX

I am hopefully getting her up on jacks stands this weekend and painting the calipers silver and putting on some red "JAGUAR" caliper accents decals afterwards (to match the red center caps on my Miglias)... but in the process I want to install screens like you did.

any advise, before I start snapping and ripping plastic out of the grill and lower catfish opening?

did you use epoxy glue? did you have to remove the front bumper?

Old 08-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: any advise on installing grills... racerX

Sorry for the delay..
The lower catfish opening was a real pain in the *** to install the mesh. I thought about removing the entire front clip, but the work involved was too much and not worth the effort.

I used a die grinder with a cut off wheel (mini) and cut the center piece out. Took over an hour just to cut it all out, but well worth it.

The second problem was the installation of the stainless mesh. The kit it comes with is real cheesy and I made some tweaks to it. Too long to type and explain here and frankly don't remember how i modified the brackets...but, the one key part that I do remember is that they give you these tiny black screws and nuts to use in the installation. Funny part is you have to use the tiny washers and tiny nuts and they weren't even stainless! I got rid of them and used stainless nuts and bolts. I think I used 1/4 inch and they worked out fine and since it's stainless, verses the black ones, you can't even tell. No glue was used and i don't recommend it in this process. I sent my recommendations to the company and they gave me some money back since they agreed with most of my suggestions. Your kit may have some of my new ideas, stainless nuts and bolts, and the modified brakets.

Do you already have both upper and lower mesh? The upper mesh was real easy, took 30 minutes. Cut the slats, insert mesh, re-install bracket and re-install back on hood.....really painless. just becareful not to over tighten any of the screws since it's all plastic.

Good luck and be prepared to do some cussing!

________
Free Walmart Gift Cards

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

So how did your installation go?

________
Michigan Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:57 PM

After doing the calipers and the lettering on them, then smashing my finger while creating a home-remedy for my stloen hood emblem I was pretty discouraged. As I inspected the catfish opening, I figured it would be best for a pressure fit installation that could only be done by removing the front bumper. So it will have to wait for another day. As for the the grill, that looks nearly impossible unless you get a pre-made kit just for that opening.

I am not planning on buying any kits, jus the sheet from Autozone for like $40 and make it fit.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Did you powdercoat your calipers? I'm planniing on doing my calipers but don't feel like taking them all apart to powdercoat them. Trying to pick out a good color...red just seems to guackey on a silver car. Thinking of maybe silver. Should look good with the new cross drilled rotors...

________
Ipad Accessories

Last edited by racerx82; 05-17-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:02 PM

i used silver caliper expoxy paint... pics coming soon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SILVE...spagenameZWDVW