Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any opinions on this???????

X-type high flow intake from JaguarXP.com

http://www.jaguarxp.com/jagxp/Jaguar.../Intakekit.htm

Old 05-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Any opinions on this???????

from what i've heard, it is better to just get a K&N air filter.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:28 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto..also read below, there is another thread just like this one.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

I am getting ready to drop the K&N filter into my car. Nice to know that the factory intake is that good. Is there a weak point with this car that with an easy fix can make it better? I'm looking to get a little bit more power out of the motor but don't have a major desire to go crazy with engine mods. Looking for something like maybe a less restrictive muffler, a portion of the exhaust that is really restrictive, a part of the intake that can be widened to broaden the power band, etc.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

do you haver the 2.5 or the 3.0? I will say that the sport mode will make the car quicker... (that "s" button you asked about)

Old 05-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if the sport mode actually makes it that much quicker? It allows higher shifts but I wonder about making it quicker? I know it doesn't change anything in the low end of it as that is what really needs the improvement on the jag. Once the thing moves it's not too bad but it's getting the thing moving that takes the most work!

The thing I've learned about these cars from other people and their mistakes is that unless you have money to spend on fixing, you're better off not touching it! The car has many things that can hardly handle the stock power let alone changing stuff, I'd steer clear of expecting too much unless you just wanted to add the look and sound of an exhaust. Pretty sure arden couldn't get the intake to keep from tripping the computer last I checked???

Old 05-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Veteran member

jvegas, I have the 3.0L motor. But, from what I was reading, it sounds like the 3.0L and 2.5L motors are identical except for the stroke (the 3.0L has a slightly longer stroke).

If someone was to say that the Jag's acheille's heal is, what would that be? Is it just the computer is so touchy, the transfer case is "weak", the bottom end of the motor can't handle large power, etc. Just curious. I know every vehicle has its weak point. Just something that helps me decide which mods I am willing to do and if I need to focus my attention elsewhere first. It is kinda senseless to have a motor that can output 500 hp if every time you put it in gear the tranny breaks.

I'm not looking for tons of power, but if I can make the motor run better and get a little bit better mileage, then I am game for that. As for low end power, I am very happy with the way that the motor can pull the car off the line or accelerate from a slow speed without revving the engine up high. Granted, I am also used to driving a full size truck that is lifted with big tires. So, the lack of acceleration is something I have grown use to.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 PM
Veteran Member

well, here is thing to think about.... if there was some easy and safe way to improve power and give better gas millage on the X-Type Jaguar would have done it when they built the car. thats how i look at it. Any mod you due will sacrafice something else on the car. As for weak points on the car. I would say the tranny and transfer case. I have had the 2.5 and the 3.0 and there is a big differance between the two. After driving the 3.0, the 2.5 seemed weak... real weak. If i had drove the 3.0 before I bought the 2.5 I would have never got the 2.5. The gas millage is almost the same in both cars.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only complaint I have is the little stutter(hesitation) it has when you punch it in low gear. Anyone else experince this? I have an 02 x Type 3.0

Old 05-18-2008, 09:36 PM

ditto grimm!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

jvegas, I agree, if there was some "magical mod" that created tons more horsepower, the manufacturer would have done it. But there are also things put into the car to meet the needs of the majority that some can live without. For example, a lot of manufacturers put some sort of silencer on the intake to make the intake quieter. But, in a lot of cases, removing the silencer allows the intake to flow with less restriction at the cost of some intake air noise. Like with my truck, simply cutting the funnel part of the air box off so it sucks in underhood air was good for 1 hp and 10 ft-lbs of torque gain (measured with a dyno). I know I am not going ot make the car a drag strip runner. But, I know there are little things that can be done. I'm curious if anyone has played around some with modifying some of the factory parts. I may pull the throttle body off and shave that down a little bit to provide a little bit less restriction when at WOT. Again, not a major gain, but for the 30 minutes it takes to shave down the extra on the screws and stuff like that, you can get a few extra ponies out when you really need it.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and Nukie, the radioactive 97 X

Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 AM

wow uguys make me feel so.... YOUNG!!

lol no serious, all this knowledge is quite respectable.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member

Honestly with the jag, from what I've read, there really isn't anything cheap to modify. I'm pretty sure they've tried modifying the intake and it actually made it worse. I'd add the mufflers but I don't think it will add a HUGE difference but a worth while one non-the-less. Pretty sure there is an ecu alteration that would cost over a thousand bucks but I'd honestly just use that money for gas! I'd get some wheels and call it a day after the exhaust of course! If you don't have tint I would get it as the seats are prone to wear. Fit some hids and slap some leds everywhere.

Racerx82 was a member here that actually modified quite a few things on his x-type. Check out this link...Keep in mind if the car can't handle the 227/231 hp I don't know what long term would be with 300 hp. He did all sorts of stuff like deleted the governor to reach top speed and other stuff...

Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

I will have to see what the options are for this car. I have a background in engineering (nuclear reactor operator), so, figuring out a few things to get a few more ponies out shouldn't be all that tough. I am not looking to go that hog wild with the car like what Racer did, but having a few extra ponies would be nice. Granted, seeing the headers that were constructed look interesting. Having a tube bender and a MIG welder, making something like those headers would be fairly easy. Just getting the pattern for the plate to mount to the engine is the tough part (which isn't all that tough overall). Hmmmm, what can I do?

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

Good luck with it! Just watch what you do as some things could void SE that you speak of! I'd seriously do the exhaust (borla) and that would probably be it. Just adding the exhaust won't void your warranty but I'd imagine they could spin anything about you modifying the intake or other parts of the top of the engine. "A granule of sand got into the intake and ended up scraping the edge of the ------- which caused ---------, ------------, ------------ and -------------- which caused the car to ----------. In the end SE doesn't have to cover the claim because ------------ caused the problems!" I could see it now! LOL!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Veteran member

aquill, what do you mean by "SE"? I can't say that I have heard of that before. Besides, my car has 83K miles on it. So, I doubt there is any warrantee left on it. I have a 1,000 mile/1 monthquasi warranteefrom the place that I bought the car from, but that is it. now, if there is something else thatI am not aware of, then I would gladly love to hear it.

As for your comment about aftermarket part A being blamed for everything happening wiht the engine is starting to become more and more popular with the automakers. I know with the Navstar diesels (the people who make the diesels for Ford), you install even an aftermarket muffler, they will void out your whole drivetrain warrantee with the new 6.4L diesels. Now, not all dealerships are doing this, but a lot are. Hell of a gamble to take with a motor known for having problems and repair bills easily running into the $4-5K range. May those around you help you if you blow the motor, that is a $15K motor with another $2K in install costs as they have to remove the cab off of the truck to replace the engine.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

SE stands for Select Edition. The warranty is 6 years/100k miles. You'd be surprised, you might find out that it is covered! Mine was covered and i didn't know until this last January (owned the car for over a year and a half before finding out!) It's a joke if warranty is void after adding exhaust! Although the diesel engines are turboed which means that the truck relies a lot upon the exhaust so in the end it would greatly adjust the outcome of the powertrain so i guess I could see that happening. I bet the other reason they don't cover those engines is they suck! My shop I worked at had an 2004 with the 6.0 and that thing had quite a few problems! But that was the first year of them distributing that motor. The 7.3 is a workhorse, actually so was ours! Our boss hated ford and wanted to kill it. We had a bad turbo, injectors and bad cooling system and to kill it he had us load the truck so horribly heavy that the truck (flat bed work truck for a building materials yard) had the rear dually tires squating bad the truck was quite a few inches lower but man that thing handled it like a champ! In the end he was inable to blow the thing up!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

aquill, I will have to look into that. I have a local Jag dealership that I should be able to give them my VIN and see if I am under that SE coverage.

As for voiding the diesel warrantee, it is due to the fact that starting in 2008, all diesels are required to have a particulate filter on the exhaust. So, the particulate filter doesn't clog up, the filter goes through what is call regeneration (regen) and what happens is the exhaust system gets some raw fuel dumped into it and then it gets burned inside of the filter. The filter gets hot enough that any of the particulate gets converted to a gas, cleaning out the filter. Needless to say, when the truck goes into regen, the mileage drops considerably. But, by using an aftermarket muffler, you are generating more power, which will cause the diesel engine to generate more particulate, so the filter has to go into regen more often. The filter is only truely rated to do a finite number of regens. With the filter being a $1000 part and the diesel engines having a 100,000 mile warrantee, the manufacturers don't want to replace any because of any power mod. So, this is pissing off a lot of guys from all the manufacturers. Granted, some are saying screw it and going after the big power and taking their chances. Granted, these are the same guys that are removing that filter completely so the exhaust doesn't have that restriction in it.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah lol! I personally would wait to do anything if the vehicle is covered under warranty.

All you need to do is call your local dealer and ask if your car is covered. Give them the last 6 of your vin and they can tell you.

I like hearing the trucks with the monster pipes that sound like a jet rolling down the road, although they stink quite bad! What about the bulldog upgrades they have for diesels that greatly adjust the output? I imagine it'd be hard for the dealer to prove that adding it caused it? It's sweet that with just that little computer you can add soooo much power. The torque is nuts that the trucks have! We had our f550 pull our 37k pound boom truck out of being stuck! Thing was turning the front tires trying to pull it out!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

The 2008+ Ford diesels record data points from the engine parameters and via these store parameters, it can be determined if you had an aftermarket programmer installed or not. The engine doesn't use a single computer any more. There are like 3 in the Fords. 1 is dedicated just to data recall. So, even running the aftermarket computer, re-installing the factory computer and driving awhile, the altered data will still be in that one computer. It also records any time the computer has to limit power (over revving, excessive exhaust temps, overheating, etc). So, even something as silly as stepping on the pedal while idling can get you into serious trouble. But, I am sure if you tell someone that they can't access some bit of data, they will figure out a way around it. But, until that day.

What is compounding the issue, which will also cause this sort of thing to spread to other vehicles, is that the EPA is backing up the manufacturers in their wholesale voiding of warrantees due to modifications. So, it is a matter of the manufacturers having free will to do as they see fit and the government backing them up in their radical thinking. While it hasn't hit the gas market, it is coming soon.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman

Quick Reply: Any opinions on this???????