X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any step by step for headlight replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Any step by step for headlight replacement?

The low beam on my 2005 x type sport, passenger side, went out just the other day. I am wondering if there's a step by step picture or video guide for changing it! I could bring it in to a shop but I want to learn how to do this. I did some searching and didn't see a guide on how to do this. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Me too. The driver side (left, consider the UK people here ) low beam lamp went out a week ago, and it was fairly easy to change. However, the passenger side (right) went out yesterday and the area in that part of the car is so cramped it seems completely impossible to change it. Just the outer side wire clip is impossible to reach, not to mention impossible to fasten again...

EDIT:
Just did both, needed a straightened metal wire coat hanger to hook up the wire clip on the right side lamp cover. Other than that it was somewhat easy, but then again I reportedly have "the hands of an artist".

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 12-08-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Removing the headlight assy is not necessary, I had to replace a unit that had a broken adjuster. This is my "Demo" unit.

1. Remove 2 wire clips from access cover.

2. Remove cover.

3. Remove electrical connector/plug.

4. Squeeze and rotate wire clip from base of lamp.

5. Remove and replace lamp.

Attached Thumbnails Any step by step for headlight replacement?-light-assy.jpg   Any step by step for headlight replacement?-el-plug.jpg   Any step by step for headlight replacement?-clip.jpg  

Last edited by reyesl; 12-10-2012 at 02:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by reyesl:
Aonsaithya (12-08-2012), Inky7 (06-14-2014), Stuart Beattie (09-19-2013)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome! Anything for taking out the headlight assembly from the car?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Please keep in mind that this is for those with halogen bulbs. The HID headlights are very similar, but instead of removing the metal clip for the headlights, you will have to remove a black box from the back of the headlight bulb. But, for the most part, not that difficult.

As for removing the headlight assembly from the car, it is not necessary, but you will find that if you have big hands, doing a bulb change with the headlights in the car is not the easiest.

As for removing the headlights from the car, here is a break down of what needs to happen:

-Using a T-27 Torx bit and ratchet, remove about 12 bolts retaining the plastic plate on the under side of the radiator (8 along the front edge of the bumper, 3 in the middle, 4 on the rear corners joining the under plate to the fender liners)
-Remove the bottom two remaining bolts (requires the Torx bit) in each wheel well so you can move the liner out of the way for the next step
-Using a 10mm socket with a short handle ratchet (or a small 10mm wrench also works), remove the nut that is located between the side marker light and the wheel well on each side. You may find removing the side marker light so you can look through and see what your hand is doing is helpful.
-Remove the 4 10mm bolts (2 on each side) holding the bumper cover to the headlights
-Reaching in by the wheel well, near the top of where the bumper cover meets the body, pull straight out to release the friction clips holding the bumper cover to the car. Repeat for the other side
-Gently lower the bumper cover to the ground. Recommended that you use an old blanket or towels and rest the bumper cover on those. You may want to also disconnect the electrical connector on the left corner (driver's side for LHD (US) cars, passenger side for RHD (England) cars). This will allow you to remove the bumper from the car and set it off in a safe location.
-Undo the 2 remaining bolts to the headlight assembly in question. Then disconnect the plug on the back side of the headlight assembly.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but after you do it once or twice, you will find that this goes very quickly and for the time that you spend fighting to get your hand in that small hole, you can get the bumper cover off.

The following users liked this post:
henry k (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 04:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driver side (left for uk)

It´s quite easy to remove battery and battery case. After that you´ll have plenty of room to work with. For right side you need some kind of hook, at least to close the lamp cover..

Old 12-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You don't have to remove anything to replace the bulb if you know ahead of time how the metal spring clip works. Once you're familiar with how the spring clip latches, your biggest problem is getting the bulb into position without letting anything contaminate it (like your fingers). Once you get the bulb into the hole you can do it all by feel. Small hands help and you can expect minor scrapes.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Chris that was most useful as the Jaguar drawings are not great.

I have headlamp washers.
To complete the info, can someone please add a link to the thread on how to deal with them.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Henry, with the washers, simply slide the bumper out a little ways, find the little tube running up to the washers and then pull the tube off. tada. They actuate on the washer fluid pressure. So, no wires to worry about.

The following users liked this post:
henry k (12-09-2012)
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been twisting bolts for a long time, but am relatively new to the X Type. Went to change the R-Side low beam today, thinking 5 minutes ought to do. Well, 20 minutes and a bleeding hand later, I was searching this forum. The forum is good, but it never really got to the heart of the matter.

The trick, at least for me, is that the wire bail, the one farthest to the right, and mostly out of sight, has to not only be released, but ,it has to be pushed ALL THE WAY BACK. You need a long screw driver, long thin stick, or something of the sort to do it. If the bail is still sticking up, even a little, the cover will catch on it and not come free.

With that minor stunt, the rest of the job only took about 4 or 5 minutes.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I broke the wire clip

Anyone know where to get just it? I tryed to make one but none of the wire I have found is stiff enough.
check link to see the clip
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ement-clip-jpg

Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

I have 1 from my broken lights f you need it.