X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know where I can find....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts
Default RE: Anyone know where I can find....

I think you have to check out Arden products may be they have a kit for your needs .It'swhatBrabus to Mercedes is Arden to Jaguar

Old 09-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  7.4 KB

ORIGINAL: legendary
I'm looking for a turbo or a supercharger kit for my 03 x-type. I haven't been able to find either but I may be looking in the wrong places. If anyone has some info let me know. Thanks guys.
Mitch
As Caddie says, check out Arden or Racing Green Cars
Link below
http://www.racinggreencars.com/

Jim

Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are not in a huge hurry for a kit I am currently twin-turbocharging my 2002 X-type. It currently has a 2.5L but I have an almost new 3.0L in the garage waiting to drop in. I haven't decided on turbo size yet- it will all depend on whether or not I lower the compression of the engine or not. I'd like to keep the high compression for better boost response, but tuning seems like it is going to be a pain with our ECUs so lower compression may be the easier way out, although more expensive.

Prior to installing a turbo or supercharger you should focus on getting all the other systems of the car up to par with the high-power turbo setup. I'm expecting at that a minimum of 3" exhaust piping will be required, along with a bracket to re-enforce the transfer case, larger fuel pump, etc. I am taking pictures and documenting the entire process and it will all be posted once completed.

Currently, my biggest issue is getting an aftermarket clutch produced. I found a company willing to make a stronger clutch, but they require I buy a few of them up front. It is a large chunk of change (few thousand dollars) tha tI'd rather use for my engine build, rather than invest in clutches that will take me months, if not years to sell. Not too many people modify their X-types to the point of needing a stronger clutch, and I am not a performance shop with an endless budget to hold a few thousand dollars of stock.

If you are interested in the turbo setup, keep this thread alive, I'll do the same. That way once the setup is complete it will be known to the community and perhaps become popular. I have a professional welder helping me out so it should come out pretty nice.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey mitch. Welcome. For starters, usually turbo kits are ways to do something...cheaper. The fact is that boosting an X will be MONEY one way or the other. SERIOUS money. Try piecing a kit together. Buy the turbo, have someone fabricate a custom manifold, get an exhaust, mount an intercooler, get the intercooler piping done, and then manage a way to tune the ECU. Fact is, if someone really wanted a faster Jag, they'd buy an S-type R. It's cheaper to do that really than to properly boost an NA jag.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 18

Good info Tokay............look forward to seeing the full post when completed!
Sounds like it'll be an interesting an informative one. One for the FAQ section I'm thinkin?

Jim

Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

Hey mitch. Welcome. For starters, usually turbo kits are ways to do something...cheaper. The fact is that boosting an X will be MONEY one way or the other. SERIOUS money. Try piecing a kit together. Buy the turbo, have someone fabricate a custom manifold, get an exhaust, mount an intercooler, get the intercooler piping done, and then manage a way to tune the ECU. Fact is, if someone really wanted a faster Jag, they'd buy an S-type R. It's cheaper to do that really than to properly boost an NA jag.
The STR is missing one thing....

3 Pedals

Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Spartan, I shamefully bow my head and go running the other way. That's much too true, but the fact is that you could more easily convert the STR to stick with some sick LS manual tranny conversion, than boost an NA X-type whose tranny wouldn't hold squat anyways. Just look at what tokay's biggest dilemma is...the tranny.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

or you can try to mount a 2003 stype standard tranny very rare to find but there out there and there beautifuland then get adifferent bell housing to fit your stype R..

Old 09-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

The s-type didn't come with a manual tranny jag_genius, unless you know otherwise. I've never seen one, that's for sure. Only the ones in the UK, and then again, only the v6's, not the v8's

Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

The s-type didn't come with a manual tranny jag_genius, unless you know otherwise. I've never seen one, that's for sure. Only the ones in the UK, and then again, only the v6's, not the v8's
Good thinking about the manual tranny from the Lincoln LS. But those are as rare as STR's. I've never seen one in person. I've heard before that the S-Type came with a manual, but not in the states. Confirmation anyone?

Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member

Confirmed...the V6's came with the manual tranny in the european and japanese market.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 AM

There are 2 problems with the S-Type R-

1. NO MANUAL TRANSMISSION
2. Looks (personal taste)

To me, the X-type is a smaller, lighter, more nimble and better looking car than the S-type. I do like the S-type R, but I'd much rather have a fast X-type. Honestly, I think I will be able to produce a complete kit (manifolds, turbos, intercooler, piping, fuel pump, injectors, and tuned ECU) for ~$4000, if not less. I'm designing everything from the ground up- starting with a basic low-boost kit that will not need an intercooler (4-5 psi max). Once that is tried and tested I will sell it. Then I will work on a final version capable of as much horsepower as you can afford. I'm going to need to hack my front crash bar to fit the front-mount intercooler, but it will look MEAN behind the grill of the X. I'm making the manifolds to fit garrett T3/T4 turbochargers so there will be endless turbo size possibilities.

Yes, one weak link to the X-type is the transmission. I'm not discouraged though- all it takes is a little welding and some know-how and a transfer case "cage" can be made that will take most of the torsional stress off the case and put it to the engine and transmission mounts. The transfer case re-inforcement cages have had a ton of success on the 3000GT/Stealth platform which is also AWD. Those cars came with 300hp stock and have the same weak link we do- the transfer case. If you can successfully put 600+ horsepower to the ground with back-to-back 7000 rpm clutch dumps with a cage around the transfer case, I think we can manage to do it with 300-400 horsepower. Our drivetrain could take a lot more abuse by fixing the two most common part failures; the transfer case and propeller shaft. That is why I'm working on a carbon fiber driveshaft and stronger transfer case.

I'm also trying to get my hands on a used/broken transfer case so I can source all the internal parts. I have a source that cryo-treats transmission parts for dirt cheap and they do amazing work. Anyone who is serious about making power with their X-type will have a few dollars to spend on beefing up the transmission. A billet aluminum transfer case housing is also an option, though a costly one.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To tell you the truck tokyo I agree with you on the s-type...I hated s-types when we were first looking at jags...I hated them quite a bit and my wife wanted one so bad...the awd feature was an easy way to talk her out of it for sure but now that I've seen the s-type r I will be getting one...I never really noticed a s-type sport either until I came on here so I hated the s-type because I don't like the chrome molding allover...I like that sporty all paint look...but I'd by far love a faster x-type because the awd is awesome...I've never driven a better winter ride and my dad has had 2 different 4wd trucks with abs and I must say awd is awesome but I'd be afraid of more power...the money spent to add power it would probably be cheaper for me to have the R for summer and days the snow isn't allover the ground and an x for bad weather!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM

Yeah, 3.0L V6, VVT, AWD, etc. These cars are waiting to be unleashed. How sick would a 400hp X-type be?!?!?!

Old 09-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member

Views: 17

ORIGINAL: tokaygecko
Yeah, 3.0L V6, VVT, AWD, etc. These cars are waiting to be unleashed. How sick would a 400hp X-type be?!?!?!
I can feel a Tom Cruise quote commin on here, from Top Gun
"Ahh feel the NEED, The NEED for SPEEEED!!!"
Yeeeehaaaaaa!!!

43 yr old speed junkie here too...........135 today nudgin 140 in parts
Soon settled back down to 80 on cruise though, need my licence

Jim

Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Legendary...sadly, I'd have to say that most jag owners are oldies on 401K's. The bunch that comes on here though, is very loose and lively, and if you aren't, then you adapt to our common forum personality. I drive a 240sx for speed, and have the Jag for relaxin and drivin slow. I do enjoy her though, and often take her well over the 100 mark. I do think that if it weren't for the tranny, the X-type could easily handle 300-350 hp.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not only that but the awd is awesome! It would be power that you could actually use and not have to worry about when you are going to die...at least right away...or til the dsc stops workind and you mess up good!

Quick Reply: Anyone know where I can find....