X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Auto folding mirrors

I developed a kit which will automatically fold the mirrors flat when you lock the car, and unfold when you unlock.

If I'm not mistaken, US markets don't have double locking, so I made the kit to be triggered by the lock/unlock status, but with some variables. This way, the mirrors don't fold when the car auto locks at 4 mph (wouldn't be handy), and don't fold when you unlock the car (after auto lock), because that would mean they'd unfold upon locking.

The kit comes in 4 variations:

Double locking with mem seats
Double locking without mem seats
Single locking with mem seats
Single locking without mem seats

PM me for pricing.

Here's a video on my personal X-type, the kit used here is double locking with mem seats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkXk40bQQmw

This kit DOES NOT make regular mirrors fold, it only makes powerfold mirrors auto fold.

The following 4 users liked this post by wannesd:
Jagman68 (01-21-2013), Lcgi (10-10-2012), Shaun Howell (03-22-2021), verdugo (03-29-2012)
Old 03-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, That looks cool. I have an 03 plate with power mirrors. They only work through pressing the button in the car though. Your mod looks great!
I am in the Uk though and do have the double locking and my doors lock over 4mph. Would this mod work on mine? and in that case would then either double lock or auto lock at 4mph then have to be sacrificed? I do not have memory seats.
Can you PM me a price and how easy it is to fit. This is my first Jag, only had it two weeks so very new to this car.

Cheers

Old 03-29-2010, 03:16 PM

You need one of the two kits for double locking vehicles, depending on your seats. (memory or not).
Nothing changes in functionality of the car, only the coolness factor changes!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Hey that looks super cool, I am in the UK and have a 2003 X-Type 2.0D with powerfold mirrors and the double lock and auto lock after drive off. No memory seats though. How does this work with hold second time lock button for windows to go up..?

I am interested, how can I do this..?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:14 AM

What you need is the kit for double locking without mem seats.
Kit costs 40 euros + shipping, and doesn't react to the global closing of the windows by remote.

Let me know if you're interested.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:34 AM

How does it work with the actual button to open close on the door, i.e. if I close it by pressing the button, then get out and press the lock twice, obviously the mirror should stay closed until I then unlock it twice which it should open..? and vice versa, if i unlock the car once, while the mirror is folded, then go in and open it with the button on the door will it work as normal, cos sometimes i go in the car by just unlocking once. and also sometimes to give way to other cars on tight roads I close the mirrors while driving to avoid touching....

Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by monz87
How does it work with the actual button to open close on the door, i.e. if I close it by pressing the button, then get out and press the lock twice, obviously the mirror should stay closed until I then unlock it twice which it should open..? and vice versa, if i unlock the car once, while the mirror is folded, then go in and open it with the button on the door will it work as normal, cos sometimes i go in the car by just unlocking once. and also sometimes to give way to other cars on tight roads I close the mirrors while driving to avoid touching....
One other thing, once the kit is installed, can i deactivate it when i want and then activate it, i.e. if one day i am constantltly locking the car and opening and i dont want the mirrors to keep closing and opening with the remote key...?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 AM

Since each kit is custom made, I can build it like that. It would however require a toggle switch of some sort to be fitted.

I would recommend you keep the kit as is, and only single lock.
When you have the double locking kit installed, single locking won't fold the mirrors, or unfold them upon unlocking.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:58 PM

but what about my questions regarding working with the button on the door..?

Old 03-30-2010, 03:16 PM

Sorry, didn't see your previous reply.

For double locking kits (which is the one you need), the mirrors will only fold automatically when you double lock, and only unfold automatically when deactivating the double lock.

So single locking and unlocking afterwards won't fold/unfold the mirrors. (as you said, if you need to lock/unlock frequently, and you don't want the mirrors to fold all the time, use this)
Also locking/unlocking from inside the car doesn't affect the mirrors.

Whether you use dual stage or single stage unlocking, makes no difference.

The dedicated button to fold, continues to operate as intended. One thing to note, is that when you get in a tight parking space, and have folded your mirrors yourself for this, then upon double locking the mirrors will fold out.

So make sure that the mirror is always unfolded before double locking.

Any further questions, just ask.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM

Very cool! I want a set! what about instalation? What does the kit contain (wiring, motors, etc). Is it easy to undo the change if you want to go for a warranty claim?

Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by cbrica
Very cool! I want a set! what about instalation? What does the kit contain (wiring, motors, etc). Is it easy to undo the change if you want to go for a warranty claim?
This kit DOES NOT make regular mirrors fold, it only makes powerfold mirrors auto fold.
Installation varies by which of the 4 kits you need (see 1st post)

HTH

Old 04-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

off topic but on topic:

I have an 05 and my mirrors do not power fold. is there a way i can get them to and use you kit? i really like that! Looks cool!

Old 04-03-2010, 10:15 PM

hardware-wise, you need the driver door switchpack, the powerfold relay, and the wing mirrors. I don't know if the wiring will be in place though.

I suspect it will be, but of you take your door cards off, you will be sure. A surefire way of telling is by looking at the connector to the switch pack in the driver door, and checking if the wire to DD1-11 (red wire) is there.

hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:22 AM

How do I PM you?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Default Getting a Kit

How do I get a Double locking with Memory Seats kit?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by tonypreece
How do I PM you?

As you're totally new member you can't pm anybody yet .Please check your pm inbox it should state neatly

Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM

I have a 06' VDP edition, i thought I had power windows but I guess I dont?

Old 05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Old Thread.

But I want auto folding mirrors.

Quick Reply: Auto folding mirrors