Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avic Z2 in '04 X

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avic Z2 in '04 X

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this has already been answered, but I've done quite a few searchs on this and haven't found the information I'm looking for:

I'd like to install an AVIC-Z2 in my '04 X that's equipped with the non-nav OEM system. Now I know about the fascia kit from Nexia and I'm not concerned about the wiring harness, but I've been reading and have seen tons of diff opinions. My biggest concern is that it seems that because of the heater box and/or heater controls, the unit will not fit flush to the dash and will need to stick out an inch or so. Has anyone here installed the unit and is this really the case? My local stereo shop is really good about working around little issues but I want to make sure before I lay down my hard earned $$$ that it's not going to look crappy when done.

Any ideas? Also any other issues that I should be aware of like steering wheel control issues, etc..?

Old 02-17-2008, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Avic Z2 in '04 X

Hey beelab any particular reason you want to buy the z2? Also the kit from nexxia isn't what I'd do if I were you. The kit I'd use is one made from mdf and a little ingenuity! Here's a link to a guy that did his own...LINK...There have been many people that have dropped a double din in the dash of the x-type no matter the year, so don't worry about it fitting. For under a 50 bucks you could install a double din with the wiring harness and the dash kit. If you plan on a shop doing it for you it will cost quite a bit to have done and imo opinion from nexxia's site it looks cheap.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:34 PM

I think the z2 fits my needs the best. I want Nav, Bluetooth, iPod integration, and Sirius.I have all 3 of those now, but the Sirius and Nav are separate units and I'm using the Jag ACM for iPod integration. I've looked at all of the in-dash navs and it just seems that the z2 is the best combination of those features. You can also add your own splash screens to make it look like the factory nav screen plus you can change the button backlight coloring to match the interior. Of course, I'm certainly open for opinions from the members before I make the final choice.

Great link too. I've seen alot of people comment about the poor match of the Nexia fascia but was thinking that might be my only option. Glad to see there are other choices out there.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Z2 in my car, fits snug and flush, ive got a custom fabricated dash kit made though.It looks great, and it does have several features. just installed the ipod last week and the quality is amazing and being able to control it from the touch screen is good too.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

I actually found one made by metra last night as well...I doubt it will match though but who knows...As far as the z2 goes you didn't really state what I was hoping to hear as to the reason you want that unit. The biggest upside to the z2 is that it's internal navigation maps and the hard drive that makes the unit stand out from others. The other nice thing is there is no slot for the cd/dvd it is concealed under the face plate. In the end all the other stuff you stated can be had with the avic d3 but for a fraction of the price. Both the d3 and z2 require the adapter for both the ipod and bluetooth use. From what I understand the ipod adapter comes with the radio but the bluetooth doesn't come with either and the bluetooth adapter is a little over 100 bucks or more. If you wanted I can get a d3 brand new with the bluetooth and all of that good stuff. Last I checked it was around $750...The d3 also has the feature where you can add your own pics at start up and changing the button illumination color as well as background color. You might just want to keep this in mind as no matter where you get it from it is quite a bit less than the z2. Either way though I'm happy as they are both pioneer! Here's a video of a guy that bought the pioneer and installed into his mazda...in the end of the video it shows how he uploaded the mazda navigation system screen that shows everytime he starts the car...LINK...

Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Great help as always, aquill. That information is exactly what I'm lookingfor. And, you may have saved me a bunch of money too! Based on the features I'm interested in, the d3 seems to be the better choice. Thevideo really did it for me. That's perfect...thanks!

That metra kit doesn't look all that bad too. May be at least worth a look.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

If you wanted that metra kit go to your local circuit city or somewhere that carries metra products. In my experience everything I've installed with metra, their products are excellent. The only difference is the plastic jag uses vs. the rest of the world. American cars plastic matches up perfectly most of the time to these kits that are at car audio shops, best buy, circuity city and what not.

If you look on youtube and watch the other videos of the d3 you'll be more and more talked into it. If you were looking for the hdd(hard drive) feature of the z2 I never would recommend the d3 but if that isn't a feature you even contemplated it's not worth it. Keep in mind though the d3 nor z2 come with a remote or bluetooth unless you get a special deal. The guy I get my stuff from has a kit that has everything including the radio, plug for ipod, bluetooth adapter and remote control. Just make sure your getting all that stuff with it...I need to do a radio in my jag so I can sell everyone on here the custom dash kit!

Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 PM

I called my local stereo shop and the carry Metro. I gave them the part number so their checking on it aswell. But the guy at the shop pretty much said the same as you....that they have excellent products. He hasn't done an install in a Jag yet so he's looking forward to having one as well under his belt.

I went on Crutchfield.com and looked up all of the associated hardware and forwarded that info to him, so he's working on a price right now. The only concern he had was with the steering wheel controls. He wasn't sure if the module he stocks is comparible. Of course, I've seen a few discussions on here, so I told him I'd hook him up with the correct stuff to get that done.

That HDD feature of the z2 really has no benefit to me, because with the iPod, I rarely ever listen to CD's and I'm not really interested in the bypass to play movies while driving. Also the dual mode of the z2 has no benefit because we have no interest in rear seat video.

All that being said the d3 seems to be thebest choice. I'll let you all know once I get a price and I'll be sure to post lots of pics of the installed product once it's done.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:52 PM

Okay a quick update. The stereo store called back and said they can install the entire system (d3, Bluetooth, iPod, Sirius, and Metra) for $1350. In my opinion this is a pretty good deal so I'm going to have them do it.His only concern was theadapter for the SW controls. Anyone know of any adapter for the Pioneeer? I'm thinking Nexia, but I thought I remember seeing someone say a Ford kit works.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Man that sounds really high to me. But hey that is your call! Like I said I can get that unit for like $725-750 all day long with the unit, remote, bluetooth and the ipod cable. Mind you that is shipped to you! The dash kit can't cost more than $30 bucks. The only problem I foresee is the wiring harness as I have no idea which one to use. I've heard the ford unit works but I'm not for sure. I installed a PAC SWIX which is a steering wheel radio control interface, my cost on that unit is $40 bucks and it is really easy to install. I isntalled it into a 99 jeep grand cherokee and it was soo much easier than I thought. The one I'd get though is the PAC SWIPS unit which is made for pioneer and sony head units. The swix one you have to use the radio's wireless remote to program to where the swips system already has the pioneer head unit controls integrated. That one as well is only $40 bucks. To tell you the truth as long as you have that dash kit and you can match that wiring harness up to your radio this install is not hard at all. Even an absolute newbie could install a radio with the products they sell. You match everything up and you don't do any cutting its just connecting the matching color of wires and that is it other than either taping them or connecting them with some butt connectors. $1350 is too much to pay unless your getting a lifetime warranty on that radio and they are installing door speakers! Most places install for free it's the additional things like dash kit and wiring harness that they charge you for. Do not pay 1350 no matter what shop it is that is too much. Circuit city has that unit for $699.99. To install that unit they want $100 bucks. Once you add bluetooth and the remote your looking at less than a thousand dollars. I seriously wouldn't pay $350 for install they are raping you! Like i said I get those decently priced. I tell you what if you wanted I will pull my radio apart, find the wiring harness wire up the avic d3 unit with the wiring harness, put the radio's sleeve into the dash kit and all you would have to do is pull your unit out and plug everything in. I'd have to do some more research but shipping and everything with everything you posted above would be less than a thousand bucks! Shoot if you wanted you could bring me the car for less than $1350!!! Check some other shops prices but seriously no matter what don't spend that kind of money! If they were installing the z2 I'd say do it but the d3 doesn't cost that kind of money. BTW the steering wheel controls are super easy! Here's the wire you connect the swix to...Trust me it is all easy pm me if you have questions!

The INTERFACE's wire color we are going to use isWhite. This is the White wire on the INTERFACE, not the vehicle!
The other wires on the INTERFACE, green, yellow, orange and blue wires are not used for your Jaguar X Type.

This leaves you with a Red, Black and two loop wires. These wires will be discussed down below.

note: SWC = steering wheel control

Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

BTW disregard those steering wheel controls if you are going to have them install! But for real they are a car audio shop and don't know how to tap into the steering wheel controls??? WTF I don't even do this for a living and I know how! I'm telling you that is too much moolah!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 AM

Well, there's no question after our conversation that I'm just going to do this myself. Once I get all the parts and pieces in, I'll start taking pictures so we can put together a thread on how the install goes. Thanks aquil for the great advice. Maybe I'll add a PAC backup camera with the money I'm saving by not havingthis done at the stereo shop.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hey rick you ever get everything? I assume you got the package and all. Be nice to get some pics for others on here!