X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back on the Road! uh, almost...pretty soon.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Back on the Road! uh, almost...pretty soon.

After two years of on again/off again work, interrupted by new job, too much business travel, other more critical broken things, and just plain old deliberate indifference, I finally finished the engine swap in my wife's X Type. Finished being a relative term. As in, not really finished, but at least the car is running and largely drivable. And as noted below, leak free. Well not exactly. More later. Not exactly code free now, either. But running.. yes it will do that. If don't mind limiting yourself to daylight driving hours. (sigh)

From my original introduction post when I joined the forum, I told the story how I bought this car for my wife. It was really clean, and the price was attractive. I drove the car. It seemed fine. So I bought it and put a few hundred miles on it, completely renewed the brakes end to end, and changed the oil... then handed over the keys. She made it just under 300 miles and the engine started knocking. Two independent mechanics said the engine was heavily sludged, and my oil change to Mobil 1 probably loosened the sludge and plugged the oil pump, then loss of pressure, then spun bearings. The dealer had told me it had only used Mobil 1 before. The mechanics doubted the car had ever seen any Mobil 1, if indeed it had ever had an oil change... So I went back to the dealer who told me to eat it. But eventually he offered to buy back the car or give me half my purchase price back. Since half the purchase price was twice what a used engine would cost, I stupidly took that deal and relatively speaking lost two years off my life... lol. Oh well. Live and learn nothing. That's how I roll.

So read along here and if you have any input or help, I'd be pleased.
Like I said, the car is running. At first I couldn't get it to start. That was the old gas. It didn't smell that bad, but the Jag was having nothing to do with that crap. It was really difficult to get the old out, but we did it, and it started right up first chance on the new stuff. (As for the old gas, it seems to be just fine for use in the Briggs and Straton. 10 acres got mowed with it yesterday. But the Jag smooth turned it's nose up at it.) And the engine ran fine, too, nice and smooth. I did get a CEL, and was expecting one on a first start. It went out after about the 4th or 5th restart and has not come back.

So here's the problems that are persistent:

I have an airbag light illuminated on the IP. I'd guess clock spring if it indeed has one. More work needed. Yes I guess there is a code to read in there somewhere.

And as for leak free, not exactly that either, as the AC unit is leaking and won't hold a charge. This is particularly annoying since I spent several hundred dollars on AC pieces and replaced all the o-rings while I had it all apart. (It's always something, is it not?) I couldn't find the leak by inspection so I guess I will have to use a halogen sniffer. I have one... somewhere.

Also in the car's two year down time the headlight adjusters bit down on it, big time. Fine if you are riding under the car and only care about things two feet in front of the car. I hear tell there are two kinds of X types. The ones that have had broken adjusters and the ones that will have. The heck of it is... I had the bumper cover off during the engine swap. Rats... that one bolt in the right front is a woolly booger.

Last thing I have to deal with I hope is I need to set the fluid level in the transmission. I have seen threads here on that so not anticipating problems. It's just one more thing to do... Until the next thing! Here's some pics:

Attached Thumbnails Back on the Road!  uh, almost...pretty soon.-2013-04-13_15-45-19_829.jpg   Back on the Road!  uh, almost...pretty soon.-2013-04-13_15-41-47_160.jpg   Back on the Road!  uh, almost...pretty soon.-2013-04-13_15-42-51_391.jpg   Back on the Road!  uh, almost...pretty soon.-2013-04-13_15-52-52_633.jpg  

Last edited by AlfaVeloce; 04-17-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member

And the next thing is!
The boot lid now will not latch. I see several threads on this. Looks like more parts to buy.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

We had a pretty fine X type weekend (+Monday).

Went through the AC system. Found it was not leaking after all. It was just a hinkey connector. AC is online.

Topped up transmission fluid to the correct level. Shifts good, tranny is quiet.

Put in the new headlight adjusters. Not too hard a job. Wish they were all that easy. Ran out of time to aim them. But at least they are solid and point somewhere close to right.

Could not fix the boot latch. Will have to order a part.

But the car is roadworthy now. Boot latch and airbag light (code 16, any ideas?) are all I have left on the punch list.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Installed the new boot latch... then fixed the original one. Oh well, so now I have spare.

Now she's throwing a C1155 code. ABS wheel sensor front left.

Guess what...

the connector wasn't latched. It was on its mate, just not latched. Probably my bad. It's all good now; no ABS light, no MIL... and the cruise control works now. Sweet!

Still no joy on getting rid of code 16 on the airbag (seat sensor). I guess I'll just have to replace the sensor and see where that gets us.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't help with the code.

However, I will pay you good money if you can bottle up some of your perseverence and mail it out to me!!!.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

It comes, I think, from years and years of owning Alfa Romeos. If I gave up easy, I'd have to walk everywhere. Or own Chevrolets (shudder).

Old 06-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't think a Jaguar owner is supposed to say the word "Chevrolet".

It like an "obscene utterance".

(If I had Tourette's Syndrome, I'd probably yell "Chevrolet" instead of other dirty words)